News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Being a Vendor

Started by Niennis, January 15, 2011, 04:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niennis

Hello, again! I've been gone from here for a bit, but I have returned :D (though not to TN... still in the West.)

I'll be most likely coming back to TN to be a vendor at tnrf, but there are some points of confusion for me because this will be my first time doing this.

1. Do I need to have my own drape/tent/structure, or are they provided?
2. Do I have to rent the spot for the entirety of the month?
3. Any other tips from my buddies? XD

Thanks!
Hey, why not?

celtaban

Welcome to TN!  I've been a merchant at Tenn Ren for at least 20 years (I've lost count).  So I can help you out some.  First, you do need your own tent, and it has to look period.  If you're using a pop-up, you'll have to disguise it.  Those tent/gazebo thingies will work, but get a sturdy one.  You'll be very lucky if you're assigned a spot of level ground, unless you're on the low side of the show, in which case you're apt to find yourself ankle-deep in mud when it rains.  Speaking of rain . . . !  We get pretty fearful storms, even in non-apocalyptic years.  Pop-ups are the first to go, so I don't recommend them.  Anything you use should be well-staked and equipped with storm lines (ropes that go over the top of the tent, are anchored to the corners, and go from there to the ground). 

I don't know if you can do a partial run - you'll just have to call the office on that.

The show is very wooded, and has plenty of ticks, so be sure to bring the Off.

You will want waterproof footwear and a good rain cape.

On good-weather days, we can have throngs of people.  Most of them mind their manners, but we have had some problems with shoplifters in the past.  If you've got wares that are easy to pocket, arrange your set up so that you can get an unobstructed line of sight to everything from at least one vantage point.

The first show day is a school day.  If you're not familiar with what that means, I can give you more particulars.  You have to be open that day, so you may need to come up with some special stock if your normal wares aren't aimed at kids.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  I hope it helps.

Niennis

Thanks for all the info!

I'm from TN, lived there for 20 years, so I know all about the weather and the faire. I've been to TNRF 8 or so years running, so I'm familiar with it.

Do you know of a good place to get a period tent? Preferably inexpensive :D

Thanks again!
Hey, why not?

celtaban

Well, if you're going to do the gazebo thing, there's Wally World or Lowe's.  That's probably the cheapest way to get an acceptable tent over your head.  I've never rented, so I can't tell you anything about that.  You might luck onto something second-hand.   If you don't mind telling me what you've budgeted for a tent, I might have some more ideas.

renfairephotog

Hello Niennis. I bet I can answer a few questions too.

First thing is that there are no partial runs. If you get in, you promise to be open every day of the festival run.

Second, you have to pass jury before you can even get an application. Passing jury depends on the KIND of item you intend to sell, whether it is handmade, and how many other vendors already sell that kind of item this year (which may or may not resemble last year's merchant list). For example, it would be very difficult to get any jewelry of any sort into this fair, because there are so many jewelry vendors.

You also have to have general liablity insurance for the run of the festival.  That runs $200-350, depending on the insurance company and the policy.

EZups can work; I can tell you from experience that you will have to drop them to half height each night and stake them reallllllly well to have a shot at having a tent the next morning. And you had better have a backup plan in place, just in case. Remember, you are obligated to open, no matter what.

At any rate, instructions for new vendors are at the bottom of the page:   http://www.tnrenfest.com/crafts.htm

Good luck!
BJ, wife of renfairephotog
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Niennis

Turns out a friend has a tent I can use. I'll be sure to set it up well to avoid weather complications.

BJ: I hope that my wares are unique enough, I've been a regular of the faire and haven't seen any masks like I make, though the garb I have it fairly common. I'll be sure to keep it interesting :D

Thanks!
Hey, why not?