News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pantaloons OR Pantalettes

Started by Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard, February 12, 2011, 09:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Can someone please tell me the difference? Are they tight fitting or do they fit like bloomers? Many thanks in advance, I love all the knowledge on the boards.
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Lady Catherine

I see pantalettes as a short version of pantaloons. I have seen them many many ways. pantaloons, at least in Civil war fashion, are a little more stream-lined, but still loose. They do not usually have elastic at the bottom, but are straight down to below the knee. If they are period correct, they are split-crotch. Yay for breeze!!

I usually think of bloomers as loose, gathered at the knee with elastic or drawstring. I may be WAY off, someone please tell me if i am!

2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!

LC, it was your picture that made me ask the question, your garb is beautiful! So,theres no elastic at the bottom of yours?
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Stasiakatt

If you look the definition up, pantaloons are a men's pants and pantalettes are a female/child's drawstring underwear with ruffles at the ankle.

Anna Iram

Yeah, I guess if you went with defintions bloomers would be any sort of undergarment, and pantaloons is a type of trouser  but for faire sake I think of bloomers as the ballon shaped leg with elastic cuff..can be short or long..and I think of pantalettes as a mid calf to ankle length...more like a fancy pajama cut with lots of frou frou at the bottom. Oh so very French.

operafantomet

Yes, as Stasiakatt wrote, the pantalette is the "small" version of pantaloons.

Usually when you bump into the suffix "-ette" in a noun, name or adjective, it means that it's a smaller version of the original word. One example is the French name "Annette", which means "Little Anne", or "Jeannette" meaning "Little Jeanne". Or "cigarette", which is a small cigar. 

Lady Catherine

wpah! thank you operafan! That is generally what i picture using the -ette suffix!  I just use it to term mine as small!

Lady joyce Ann!! thank you sooo much!  Actually, I do have elastic at the botttom of mine, to prevent the "Bottom" from showing!

2008-2009 cast TNRF

Anna Iram

Lady Joyce Ann, just because I want to know everything there is to know about a subject... ;D I did a little more reading on the various terms. I don't have the links just now, but it does seem to be a very involved topic. I found it fascinating anyway. Bloomers seems to have arisen from a type of gown and legging that was very volumnous, and first worn by Mrs. Bloomer and pantalettes were actually a leg covering worn over and buttoned to your drawers,and meant to be seen as a part of your outerwear, though possibly they were worn singly as drawers themselves. Drawers being the accepted term for undies because you drew them on.

*edited* here's a couple of links:
http://www.fashion-era.com/rational_dress.htm
http://howtodresslikeapioneer.blogspot.com/2010/04/are-they-pantaloons-pantalettes-drawers.html

Anyway...thought you might find that as interesting as I.

Catherine, do you have a picture.of your pantalettes? I'd love to see what you've made.

Thank you Anna,very interesting! I also would love to see a picture of LC standing in her garb. The outfit has really caught my eye!
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Lady Catherine

i will fish one out, but I am at my dad's this evening, and do not have it readily avaiable...

I will try this to see if you all can access my fb pictuires, i think i have them open to the public.

ahhh, here is without the overskirt so you can see better:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1588707654&aid=14734#!/photo.php?fbid=1548091554076&set=a.1095231232851.14734.1588707654&theater

walkling:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1588707654&aid=14734#!/photo.php?fbid=1521778936277&set=a.1095231232851.14734.1588707654&theater
2008-2009 cast TNRF

Lady Catherine

well, it works, but opens ALL my faire pics! feel free to peruse, but the courtesan look is neear the bottom!
2008-2009 cast TNRF

Adalia Lee

I adore the courtesan look, but I have to know-where did you get your shoes for that look? They are adorable!

Lady Catherine

actually, goodwill!! never again will i be so lucky!
2008-2009 cast TNRF

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Pantaloons and  Bloomers are common names for Under Drawers. Worn from the Elizabethan times, into the 20th Century.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Thank you all,I have enjoyed all the input. Now for the pantalettes.
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples