News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hat ideas

Started by Adalia Lee, February 09, 2011, 12:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

I decided my machine can't handle the plastic so I went with Buckram after all, there are enough layers to sew through as it is. So far this is really interesting....
 The pattern I'm using has a 'hood base' that actually does circle the entire head and meets at the nape of the neck under the tubular veil.  The veil is sewn to the back of the base (which has two lappets that cover the ears) and the crown is attached to the forward edge of the base. I haven't attached the crown yet, but I figure once the crown tips are tacked down to the lappets, it will lie back over the head.  Complete hair coverage from about mid/top of skull back, depending on how far back on your head you want to wear it.
  Is this HA, or just the way this particular pattern is made?  Most of the Hollywood versions look like 'visor hoods'.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

LadyStitch

I made the fabric cover using the machine, then slid it over the wired plastic canvas and batting.  I didn't try putting the whole thing under the machine.  That is one reason why my hats take so long. I do most of it by hand.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

All French Hoods that I do are made with a sturdy Theater weight Buckram I order from Judith M Millinery. All I need is one layer. Costs an arm and a leg though, but so worth it!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

dragongirl

It might be considered cheating but, I've made a French Hood with a $2.00 visor from Wallyworld.  I used the visor as the form and pleated the fabric over the visor then applied the embelisments.  I would post a picture but I gave it as a gift to someone that I no longer speak with. 

I got the instructions as no-sew project but I found that the fabric held better when I sewed the fabric to the visor band.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood