News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kitty Shaped candle

Started by Becky10, March 30, 2011, 06:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Becky10

So my old cat has feline herpes in her eye and after it got particularly bad last night I took her to the vet today and they said she had an ulcer and the stuff weeping from her eye is actually her like eye jelly...wonderful. They're going to see if they can cut a flap and sew it over it to keep it from leaking but this wont be until friday. Worst case they remove her eye OR she is put down pending on costs of surgery. I am a bit at odds with the ma right now as she put something in her eye that she thought would help clear up the herpes which is why we are at this point of almost losing an eye.
Unfortunately I wont be able to go with and neither will my brother (her original owner) so my mom is going to take her down and just keep me posted.

She is an old battle axe and is keeping her eye open which completely shocked the vet cause, well, I know when I get a piece of dust in my eye all hell breaks loose, I cant imagine a hole. She is on pain meds now and is sleeping at the end of my bed curled up with a stuffed animal. Please keep her in your thoughts and hope she comes through this alright.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Merlin the Elder

I'm sorry, Becky. I have so much more sympathy for critters than I do for most humans.  I'll be spelling in her and your behalf.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Xantrawler

I will keep the both of you in our prayers.

irish

I am so sorry Becky. You all will be in my prayers!
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Celtic Lady

My heart goes out to you both. Sending positive healing and strength to both of you.

Lady Kett

*HUGS* Becky. Having our animal friends enduring pain and suffering is so much worse than our people friends. I believe this is true because our animal friends cannot really talk to us about what is going on. Lots of love, prayers and warm fuzzy thoughts are headed your, and your kitty's, way.

Tygrkat

You and your kitty are in my thoughts...and I hope all goes well <3
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Becky10

Thank you guys. I was afraid the pain meds wouldnt do much but the cat seems to feel nothing right now. She's kicked back watching the lights bounce off the way. The most relaxed I've seen her in a long time. I am pretty sure at this point she is going to lose the eye. I am trying to convince my father to opt for eye removal as he is leaning more towards just putting her down. If she had other health issues I would understand but she is as healthy as a horse despite the eye and I just cant see doing that to her unless I absolutely had too.

Celtic Lady

How old it the kitty? The reason I ask is because of the risks of anesthesia in older animals. I used to work for a vet years ago so when I took in one of my older cats to have a tooth removed I was prepared for the outcome. He made it through surgery well and was coming out the the anesthesia but sometime after coming home he slipped into a coma.

Becky10

She is 17 and that thought has definitely come across my mind. Outside of the eye she is really healthy so I just dont know what to do and on top of that I think the cat that has been hanging around our house might be pregnant.  :o Can things stops doing things for a bit and give me time to figure everything out!?

Celtic Lady

Becky, sorry to ask but how is kitty?  ???

Becky10

Can't believe I havent updated! Mystic is doing good, we met with different eye doctors and they all recommended eye surgery, we asked about alternatives given her age and we were given medicated drops to give her. She's been on them for about 2 weeks now and her eye is cleared up. You can see the hole in her eye but it isnt leaking and the eye is clear with no discharge. She has an appointment tomorrow to see how everything is going. We are hoping that the pressure test will show it has stopped leaking. Hoping for the best right now.

Celtic Lady

:D Huzzah. Glad to hear she's doing better. Saying a kitty prayer that she continues to improve.

Becky10

Went to the vet today and they said it looks like there is still a hole the lady cant figure out why it's not healing ( I am thinking it has something to do with her being a billion years old) Cat is back in the E collar and causing damage to everything. We're going to do one more round of meds on her then if its still deflated we are most likely going to have her eye removed to avoid infection and pain.Not the news I wanted to hear but at least her attitude is much improved and her eye is clearer  :-\

Xantrawler

I'm glad she is doing better and hoping for the best. Tell her my Rohan says "Meow, meowmememeow ow meow meeeeeow."  I don't know either but I'm sure your cat will understand.

Xantrawler

Becky, just wondering how the kitty is doing. Hope everything is looking good. Yeah, I'm a man who is a cat person. Blame it on my Rohan she wormed her way in, they have a tendency to do that.

Becky10

Well her eye kept weeping and still looked deflated and I had a really bad feeling about what the vet was going to say but it seems that not only has the hole started to close but her detached retina seems to to be reattaching!  :o
They lowered her meds and she is being religiously watched to make sure she keeps her cone on but its looking great so far! I was really worried after the last visit it was the end for her eye but I am slowly gaining back hope.

The little devil managed to hook her cone on my ring while i was sleeping the other night and pulled it off so I am having to watch her like a hawk. She also managed to get stuck inside the catbox because of her "hat" so she's not too happy about that right now  :D

Xantrawler

I'm glad she is doing better. Thanks for the update.