News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Rocky Horror Picture Show movie remake (again)

Started by Valiss, January 31, 2011, 01:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBill Lurker

Quote from: Becky10 on January 31, 2011, 10:06:27 PM
Haha NoBill that made me hug my computer!

When I first heard of the MTV remake i went into like an hour long rant about how awful an idea it was which just confused my friends until I made them watch it. This is like them remaking Footloose. You just dont mess with some things.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't give Holly-weird any more ideas...
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Kymberleigh

Quote from: NoBill Lurker on January 31, 2011, 10:08:58 PM
Quote from: Becky10 on January 31, 2011, 10:06:27 PM
Haha NoBill that made me hug my computer!

When I first heard of the MTV remake i went into like an hour long rant about how awful an idea it was which just confused my friends until I made them watch it. This is like them remaking Footloose. You just dont mess with some things.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't give Holly-weird any more ideas...

*coughs*
They already got that idea
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1068242/
I'm not shy... I'm a passive socialite

Becky10

Zac effron was going to star in it. Kevin Bacon said he'd "cut him" if he messed it up lol
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Valiss

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 31, 2011, 03:38:20 PM
Perhaps, but I don't see the Spiderman series as being anywhere near cult status. Hey, it's just me...and nobody is paying me for my opinion! ;)

I'm not against remakes, reboots, et cetera... I liked the Star Trek reboot. I also pretty much liked the new True Grit (mea culpa). But while Star Trek started a cultural "revolution," the original series was pretty lame, and I'm a major Trekkie, so don't jump on me for that statement! ...and True Grit had no place in pop culture, then or now.

RHPC, on the other hand, at the time it was produced, wasn't relying heavily on technology to make the story work...it was all character-driven. Sometimes you can improve on something that's already great (Earth, Wind, & Fire's cover of Got to Get You Into My Life), sometimes you cannot (remember New Coke?)

I won't begrudge them trying, but they're taking on a massive task (beating the original)!

My comment was more about the time in between remakes and less about the 'cult' status of a film. Sorry for the confusion.

Anna Iram

Ah, I didn't get that either from your simple "Thoughts" query. We do love to take an idea and turn it into a conversation and you know those things tend to include all kinds of thoughts.

Hmmm...I guess if it's just a time between kind of thing then it figures Hollywood thinks it's time for a redo. No, still doesn't make it right.

Trillium

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 31, 2011, 07:46:30 PM
Quote from: Trillium on January 31, 2011, 04:17:35 PM
...  To be quite honest, the movie itself is horrible. ... 
Bite your TONGUE!

You know its true!!!  Have you ever just sat down at home and watched the movie (without any mind-altering substances)??  Especially with someone who hasn't ever "experienced" it?  Don't get me wrong, I've experienced RHPS and loved it...but to redo it?!?!?
Got faerie dust?

Anna Iram

But it was *supposed* to be a bad sci fi, double feature Dr. X destroys the creature....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smRsvudqLPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5MHNvOVl8Y&NR=1

One other thought here and I'm done:

Original film:  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ff0cOPSpVA&feature=related

Glee version:  :-[
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t3CWk6dSdE&feature=related

Nuff said..... ;D

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Trillium on February 01, 2011, 11:11:19 AM
...  To be quite honest, the movie itself is horrible. ...  
Bite your TONGUE!

You know its true!!!  Have you ever just sat down at home and watched the movie (without any mind-altering substances)??  Especially with someone who hasn't ever "experienced" it?  Don't get me wrong, I've experienced RHPS and loved it...but to redo it?!?!?

I guess it depends on how you are judging the film. Based on what I think the intent of the film is, I think it's brilliant. It's not supposed to be a serious film...it's satirical ...a spoof! If you want to compare it to a serious film where every scene is scrutinized for its artistic qualities, perfection of framing, technical aspects of high-quality film-making, et cetera, then sure...by comparison the movie is awful. But if you want to base opinion on the humour, the clever lyrics, some utterly sarcastic and hilarious performances, then it's almost unbeatable.

It's a movie I've watched time and time again, while not under the influence, and have never not enjoyed it. Despite what the formal critics think, I watch movies for entertainment, or learning, in the case of documentaries. If it fails to entertain, then I think the movie is awful.  There are a number of films that critics and I have opposing opinions of.

In the final analysis, though, it's all an individual thing anyway. In telling you to "bite your tongue," that was merely my indication that my tastes and yours differ...nothing more. I know a lot of folks here enjoy country music. I can't stand most of it myself. That doesn't mean that I'm unaware of the abilities of country artists. I know there are some extraordinary artists. I find very few that share all of my tastes in music. That's what makes life interesting: everyone is different.

PS: Anna, did you notice that in the first trailer, Susan Sarandon's name is misspelled in the closing credits?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Valiss

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on February 01, 2011, 01:57:52 PM
Quote from: Trillium on February 01, 2011, 11:11:19 AM
... To be quite honest, the movie itself is horrible. ... 
Bite your TONGUE!

You know its true!!! Have you ever just sat down at home and watched the movie (without any mind-altering substances)?? Especially with someone who hasn't ever "experienced" it? Don't get me wrong, I've experienced RHPS and loved it...but to redo it?!?!?

I guess it depends on how you are judging the film. Based on what I think the intent of the film is, I think it's brilliant. It's not supposed to be a serious film...it's satirical ...a spoof! If you want to compare it to a serious film where every scene is scrutinized for its artistic qualities, perfection of framing, technical aspects of high-quality film-making, et cetera, then sure...by comparison the movie is awful. But if you want to base opinion on the humour, the clever lyrics, some utterly sarcastic and hilarious performances, then it's almost unbeatable.

It's a movie I've watched time and time again, while not under the influence, and have never not enjoyed it. Despite what the formal critics think, I watch movies for entertainment, or learning, in the case of documentaries. If it fails to entertain, then I think the movie is awful. There are a number of films that critics and I have opposing opinions of.

In the final analysis, though, it's all an individual thing anyway. In telling you to "bite your tongue," that was merely my indication that my tastes and yours differ...nothing more. I know a lot of folks here enjoy country music. I can't stand most of it myself. That doesn't mean that I'm unaware of the abilities of country artists. I know there are some extraordinary artists. I find very few that share all of my tastes in music. That's what makes life interesting: everyone is different.

PS: Anna, did you notice that in the first trailer, Susan Sarandon's name is misspelled in the closing credits?

For what it's worth, it's got a 76% approval on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rocky_horror_picture_show/

That's pretty close to the same rating that the Harry Potter movies got, for reference.

Becky10

So I went to my first ever Rocky Horror Midnight show. About 45% of the audience were virgins. My sister hadn't seen the movie before so it was pretty funny watching her out of her element. She got a giant V,rum, a red lipstick kiss drawn on her face and grab on her chest. She was freaking out that the guy tried to kiss her cheek, this is when I though "oh no she is going to implode once we get inside" but it was great. And I am exhausted so this probably reads like a school childs paper. Oh well.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on