News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Frugal Scots?

Started by groomporter, June 13, 2008, 06:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

So, do you know how copper wire was invented?
-Two Scotsmen fighting over a penny.

Seriously though, anyone know how far back the stereotype goes of the frugal Scot?
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

brier patch charlie

I think it's more of a 19th century thing / Victorian era.
Charles Coleman

Julianne

Hmmmm...

Yankee "thrift", Southern "hospitality", Mid-Western "values", etc.

Today the Scots themselves propogate the reputation of thier *ahem* fiscal frugality more for marketing value.   I read that in all of the British Isles the Scots give more to charity then any other peoples.

I think the ancient way of life for the Picts/Scots required frugality for simple survival and then the later Protestant Reformation and the severity of John Knox cemented the ideals.

Hatter

Two Scots bet a penny on who could hold his head under water the longest.

They both drowned.

Thistle

Julianne - that last makes a lot of sense.
I wonder also how much Adam Smith might have to do with it? Being pretty much the center of economic thought for a time could nae have hurt.

Heh - Ages ago, a wonderful travelling player by the name of Mike Rayburn quipped at my school -

"Yeah, he's Scots-Irish. Means half of him always wants to get drunk, and the other half never wants to pay for it."

:)

Amras Elfwine

A Scotsman took a girl for a ride in a taxi. She was so beautiful he could hardly keep his eye on the meter.
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

groomporter

The whole Knox/Presbyterian conservative connection could make sense for an early start for it....
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Seanfromscotland

The sterotype of the tight scot and the thick irish originated in the early satirical english magazine called punch.

Heres a link with further information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_(magazine)

Cobaltblu

Were kilts expensive hundreds of years ago?  It would seem to me that someone who dressed in a length of fabric and not tailored clothing (or sewn clothing) was poor or perhaps necessarily frugal.

I also heard that scots used the kilt fabric as a tent to sleep under at night and as clothing during the day.

Did this have something to do with the stereotype of frugality?

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Seanfromscotland

I doubt it would have anything to do with the kilt. cloth is not expensive. Clans sometimes wore the same tartan, as tartan did not go by clan name, it just happened to be whatever weaver you visited. I am sure you all know that clan tartans were a victorian invention.

As I have stated above, the scots being cheap was perpetuated by the edwardian magazine punch.

Julianne

Quote from: Seanfromscotland on June 16, 2008, 03:02:59 PM

As I have stated above, the scots being cheap was perpetuated by the edwardian magazine punch.

You might want to check your facts.  The English magazine, Punch, originated in 1841 during the reign of Queen Victoria (1837-1901).

By the Edwardian period the stereotype of Scottish Frugality had long been established.  As you say, the magazine may have perpetuated the belief through the political satire cartoons.  But they certainly didn't propogate the belief.

Oh and your link for a Wiki article comes up with no information.

Scotsman

Frugal Scots?????? .... I don't buy that!  ;D
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

brier patch charlie

Charles Coleman

The Amadan

We're not THAT frugal!
Now turn your head, as I remove my wallet from its secret hiding place... ::)
The Amadan
BoTK #97
Founder: Loyal Order of Lemmings
Laird Protector of Sarcasm, Clan Ootland
Generally Silly Man