News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help with bits?

Started by CapnJack, April 29, 2011, 12:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnJack

Okay folks, this year I really want to bring Captain Jack back to the faire with a brand new energy, unlike anything I've done there before.  In order to do this, I'm searching around for good ideas regarding bits I can perform.  Ideally, I'd like ideas that will highly involve patrons and onlookers, and will preferably allow me to interact with them on a one-on-one level.  I really want to "bring people into the adventure" this season.  That means as much suspension of disbeief as I can throw at folks, so to speak, and keeping in-character far more than ever before.

All thoughts, opinions, ideas, etc. are welcome!  Just remember, whatever it is needs to be all at once entertaining to the individual patron, interesting to the passer-by, clearly understandable to someone without any background info whatsoever, and of course, completely tasteful and appropriate within the limitations of the character.
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Widget

A pick pocket bit might work. Accuse someone of stealing a bauble or trinket, make a scene about it, then find it in another pocket. even better, maybe its been in plain view the entire time.

Zoë

Are you coming back to caste, mate?
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Nighthawk

Quote from: Widget on April 29, 2011, 02:15:26 AM
A pick pocket bit might work. Accuse someone of stealing a bauble or trinket, make a scene about it, then find it in another pocket. even better, maybe its been in plain view the entire time.

I had no suggestions, so I wasn't going to post, but I have to say, this one is brilliant! How many times have I spent half an hour searching for my keys when they were in my waistcoat pocket, or my pencil when it was behind my ear? The keys thing... I actually drove my car for several weeks using my spare because I didn't have the good sense to check my waistcoat pocket... This idea is one that's easily relatable, and has the potential to be really funny!

CapnJack

Quote from: Zoë on April 29, 2011, 11:26:26 AM
Are you coming back to caste, mate?

Uuuuum... well... er... look over there a convenient distraction!  :-X ;)

And Widget, that could be pretty amusing - and ironic too, considering I'm the pirate, so normally I'd be the one doing the pickpocketing, heh.  The only problem with this one, if I'm working it with a patron, is that it would involve accusing a patron of something (even though it's silly, some people have no imagination or sense of humor).

Or, I could theoretically work it out with a castmember to play with me, wherein they think I've stolen something of theirs, but I haven't (like you said, something hiding in plain view), so I take the opportunity to rob them blind as we argue.  Then perhaps at the end, they realize they've been wearing/holding whatever it is all along, and apologize, then walk away, at which time I begin counting up the OTHER stuff I stole from them... hehe....

The only problems with that variation are, a) it doesn't directly involve a patron, and b) it would be difficult to make it obvious to onlookers that I am picking this person's pockets without the audience going, "hey, that's totally not real, because he's OBVIOUSLY picking that guy's pockets, and that guy isn't noticing."  Still, I think these are things that could be gotten around...

Come to think of it, the Legends of Sherwood crew had some bloody great pickpocketing bits back in the day.  I wonder if "Hey, Aren't You" could give me some tips on how to work one of those...

Anyway, good thoughts folks!  Keep 'em coming!
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Francisco Paula

I have a couple ideas captain but this will take one or two pirates to be with you. First one is a take off of the pick pocket.
When ever someone offers to get a picture another pirate offers to take said picture with the marks camera but he will be like, hmm i'm getting a glare off your sunglasses takes them and puts on his head. Then maybe that the purse just dosn't look right in the shot and takes that. When you are done fleecing the mark he takes the shot says its a good one and turns to walk away if they say something he hands them the camera then turns again....rinse repeat.

Second one is the slapping gag from the first potc with a twist.

You get a few of the ladies that work the faire or some of the playtrons to come up say something and slap you (not hard of course) and your said pirate comopanion starts grabbing patrons and lining them up behind them like they are going to get to slap you. this is about when you say....do i know you...then you spot what said pirate is doing.

CapnJack

Hah!  These are great!  Thanks mate!

Yeah, the camera one is sort of an elaboration on something I've done in the past, where I've pretended to walk off with the person's camera.  But once again, gotta be REALLY careful with that one, because some patrons might take it seriously.

And as for the other, that's just sheer genius!  I KNOW there will be people willing to work that one with me, haha.  My face is going to be really sore...

-Mark Twain

Merlin the Elder

...hmmm...had to check to make sure this wasn't about naughty bits...

One bit I used to do in my younger days—centuries ago—was a trip. Holding your hands just right, you could "catch" one foot on the back of the other and slam into a tree, building, whatever, making it look like you just smacked your head a good one, but catching yourself with your hands. Would work well if you were doing a drunken bit, but it can work anyway.  May be too slapstick, but I used to really get some fun reactions with it.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

CapnJack

Aye!  Slapstick is good, especially with Jack, but I think I'm looking for something a bit more interactive.

-Mark Twain

CapnJack

Just bumping this.  I'm still in desperate need of ideas!

-Mark Twain

Rosamundi

Jack, are you still looking for bits? (I mean . . . er . . . well, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. But I have some thoughts if this thread is still live).
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

CapnJack

Aye!  Always looking for bits!  Shoot away!

-Mark Twain

Bahlien

Maybe some idea's will spring up from watching the deleted scenes of all three older movies... some of them show a side of Jack that makes him seem more like a pirate, than a friendly treasure seeking captain.

Commandeering people for a "crew" to come watch a show.. Or make yourself a chart prop... set something up, you're searching for some lost treasure. Remember to use your compass... and "bump" into people.
"Always with the negative waves, Always with the negative waves. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful."

Adriana Rose

The garland girls are always game for some fun when we arent slammin'

LadyAriella

A certain unicorn girl keeps trying to have pirate lessons with you, but you're much too popular! =P

Widget

funny thinks happen when you tell fairies that you dont believe in them... just a suggestion hehehe

Francisco Paula

so are we talking captain hook or captain jack

CapnJack

Quote from: LadyAriella on June 21, 2011, 03:04:44 PM
A certain unicorn girl keeps trying to have pirate lessons with you, but you're much too popular! =P

Heh, too true.  But hey!  Pirate lessons sound great!  Any time you want to bug me about that, let me know!  I could use an excuse to stop taking pictures for a few minutes and actually DO something.  I'm getting really tired of being a photo-op, not a character.

-Mark Twain

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: CapnJack on June 27, 2011, 08:02:44 PM

Heh, too true.  But hey!  Pirate lessons sound great!  Any time you want to bug me about that, let me know!  I could use an excuse to stop taking pictures for a few minutes and actually DO something.  I'm getting really tired of being a photo-op, not a character.

Had the great pleasure of watching this scoundrel lead My and several other kiddlings on a treasure hunt this weekend that was complete with map & treasure and was effin brilliant! :o    Jack, you are the bombdiggidy. just sayin.   ;)
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Zoë

Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Mistress Charlotte

Quote from: CapnJack on June 27, 2011, 08:02:44 PM

All conversations with you are in 5 word intervals!......  That's OK though.
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

CapnJack

Sad but true.

And thanks for the props, Rich!  Since you were the only one on here who actually saw the treasure hunt, do you have an constructive criticism?  I'm completely open, and I really want to make it even better for next time.

-Mark Twain

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: CapnJack on June 28, 2011, 07:22:03 PM
Sad but true.

And thanks for the props, Rich!  Since you were the only one on here who actually saw the treasure hunt, do you have an constructive criticism?  I'm completely open, and I really want to make it even better for next time.

LOL! yeah.  next time i should watch and not try to help.
no critique. it was perfect.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Adriana Rose

aww man I wish that we knew that you were doing that my kiddo would have had a blast.

CapnJack

Well, I fully intend to do it much more often this weekend, since it's ankle-biter weekend, haha.

Basically how it works is that I hide my treasure chest somewhere (so far I've been hiding it just inside the green door back at Games, above the Water Wheel), then I use my map to have the kids try and figure out where the treasure is.  It works best this way since that's the basic area where I put the big "X" on the map.  But I could ultimately do a similar hunt just using the compass and leaving the map out altogether.  This would allow me to do it in other areas of the shire.

-Mark Twain

LadyAriella

Captain, did you find your giant X to use? Sounds pretty fabulous.

Norfolk

Quote from: CapnJack on June 30, 2011, 02:16:05 PM
Well, I fully intend to do it much more often this weekend, since it's ankle-biter weekend, haha.

Basically how it works is that I hide my treasure chest somewhere, then I use my map to have the kids try and figure out where the treasure is... where I put the big "X" on the map. 

Brilliant, Cap'n, simply brilliant!  Good on ya, mate!
Just call me "Your Grace"