News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Poll time:

Started by saphire_glade, May 25, 2011, 11:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saphire_glade

So a friend of mine pointed out at a new faire that I am traveling too, there is already a group of fairies present. Which is a little bit more akward when you are a visiting fairy and they probably don't know you are coming. So I tried gather info and have found:

Not a single one of the 4 of them speaks.

So the question is: in this community how many of us speak when humans are present.

I know I do!
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

Lairde Guardn

As the worlds largest Leprechaun.......I am a storyteller....so I have to speak......although that character has not been around for many years, there is rumor that he is getting ready to make an appearance sometime in the next year....
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

LadyFae

I do- but I usually have my fairy babies with so it is impossible for me to NOT speak when humans are around!  I can see some fairies not speaking, it can add to the "magic" but most children PREFER interaction through speech!  It doesn't have to be full on Ren speak, it can be a whisper or a "magical" voice- something that shows that human speech is something the fairy has learned.  I think that some people feel that to be a fairy you have to be a certain way- they forget that there are fae for EVERYTHING and they all have their own personalities and quirks.  It gets boring if we are all the same! 
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Trillium

I speak the "human" tongue most of the time, with an occasional trill or chirp to other fae I pass.  My wee one and my barbarian don't speak fae...
Got faerie dust?

saphire_glade

I am glad to hear we have such a variety here. As some are very nice not speaking, but it is always nice to show that we are all so different. People ask me how many kinds of fairies are there and I have to answer as many as you can think of, and I just hope that we all remember that and try show it.
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

PollyPoPo

Not a fairy, but an elf - personally when I know I am going to be around humans (or others who are not familiar with my local dialect), I simply cast a tongues spell so everyone will hear me in their own speech and I can understand them.  Makes life so much easier.    ::)

Polly PoPo
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

renfairephotog

The fae of Convington Glenn speak in fae speech.  If they listen human can understand.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

LadyFae

Last weekend was my first time playing with other fae who only squeak and trill. I must admit, I much prefer hearing the mortal tongue the majority of the time! A trill in passing is fine but when that is the only sound made it gets old quickly. :(
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

saphire_glade

Quote from: LadyFae on June 14, 2011, 11:14:34 PM
Last weekend was my first time playing with other fae who only squeak and trill. I must admit, I much prefer hearing the mortal tongue the majority of the time! A trill in passing is fine but when that is the only sound made it gets old quickly. :(

My response was O_o --> X_x

LadyFae

Quote from: saphire_glade on June 15, 2011, 08:20:05 PM
Quote from: LadyFae on June 14, 2011, 11:14:34 PM

My response was O_o --> X_x

LOL!  Fauna and Confetti were out playing on Sunday and we were THANKED by a lot of parents because we spoke with their kids and didn't squeak at them.  There is a time and place where that can be really cute BUT you have to know the limits of it!  At least, that is how I see it.  They were still cute little fairies...  The musical fairies there spoke, by the way- I'm assuming you met them as well?
Amanda  =D

saphire_glade

Quote from: LadyFae on June 15, 2011, 09:01:38 PM

LOL!  Fauna and Confetti were out playing on Sunday and we were THANKED by a lot of parents because we spoke with their kids and didn't squeak at them.  There is a time and place where that can be really cute BUT you have to know the limits of it!  At least, that is how I see it.  They were still cute little fairies...  The musical fairies there spoke, by the way- I'm assuming you met them as well?

I did meet the band. I actually made sure they had something to hand out to the kids, so those color coded gems they had were from me. I had some that I used in an emergency, but won't need ever again. They didn't talk the first weekend I was there, but they did this time. I hope they realized that talking is something Fae can do, it isn't required, but they shouldn't feel trapped to not talk.

The ones that squeaked/trilled/sounded like a cross between a tribble, velecaraptor, and dophin need a little training. I saw them completely freak out a little girl by making their weird noise and towering over her... she ran... I would have too. They are cute girls, but still.....

Widget

i talk... a lot... but its my character, hes a tinker, and just tends to babble to himself, or others when hes excited.

Widget lives in close quarters with humans even tho the humans may not know, so he picked up the huiman language over time

LadyAriella

I'm quite chatty. I was in a mascot costume last year working faire and I HATEDHATEDHATED being a silent basically invisible person. This year I'm loud. Only problem is it takes me two days to kick the accent...

But I chatter incessantly, and since my character is comically naive I'm always asking questions.

Widget

There she is!!!!

Ariella is the bestest Unicorn fairy in the world!!!

LadyAriella

Possibly because I'm the only one?   :D