News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Olde English Faire by Peoria June 18-19, 2011

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, June 15, 2011, 09:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

This used to be held at the Jubilee College State Park in Brimfield, IL, near Peoria.  Last year it was changed to Wildlife Prairie State Park, because the Jubilee Park was closed by our former governor.

Last year it was in direct sun, hotter than anything, but this year, they said they have moved it across the street to the shady side of the park.  And this is the BEST:  Owain Phyfe will be there.  He hadn't been at Jubilee the last year they were open, and wasn't at Wildlife Prairie last year, so we are so lucky to have him close by - at least in the state of Illinois - this weekend.

From the Wildlife Prairie State Park Website:

Saturday: 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (Tournament area opens at 10:30 am)
Sunday: 10:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Tournament area opens at 11:00 am)

Admission:
Adults (Ages 12 & up) Non-Members: $8.00
Seniors & Adults Park Members:$5.00
Children 4-12 years: $4.00
Children 3 & under: FREE

Lord Stephen, Sir Richard, Matthew the Brave, and I plan to be there on Sunday.  If you see us wandering around, please come up and say hi!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

daggrim

I was a merchant there this weekend, and it was a VAST improvement over last year.  Incorporating the faire into the existing infrastructure of the park was very well done.  The shade trees were everywhere. The zoo, and the bison prairie added much to the site.  There were flushies and air conditioned buildings for those who wanted them.  The merchants were set up on the grassy boulevards along the paved roads, so it was very easy for older folks, and for families with strollers to get around.  If it had rained, nobody would have had to walk thru mud. 
Yes, it was a hybrid site, with some modern things mixed in, but it was well done and didn't detract from the experience, I think.  They leveraged the assets they had to make an event where people could spend the whole day.  I'd rate it as a success.
The joust, games, and reenactors were stationed maybe 300 yards from the merchants, down a paved path thru the woodland zoo, so that was the primary drawback.  But that allowed a larger area for both sides of the show.
I don't have a gate count, but I'd estimate there were 5,000 people there, guessing from how busy the street was in front of our tent.  Anyway, there were people walking by our tent all day long, without letup.
It looks to me like the rejuvinated OEF is here to stay, in a spot that people will really enjoy for years to come.
Doug Lais
A merry heart has a continual feast.

Lady Renee Buchanan

We went on Sunday and thought the new location was fantastic.  Really enjoyed the fact that the King's Stage was next to the Visitor's Center, where I went every time I started to feel too warm.  I didn't want to do a faceplant in the dirt from passing out from the heat, as I've done in the past, so whenever I started to feel shaky, I just got up from the audience and walked 10 feet and sat down in the coolness until I felt better.

There were a lot of merchants, good entertainment, and whoever thought out the parking did a great job.  Those buses were always there, never had to wait more than 2 or 3 minutes.

We thought they did a wonderful job on the faire this year and are looking forward to next year.

Oh, and did I mention how terrific Owain Phyfe was?  He was magnificent, and we had the added bonus of Wolgemut, whom we didn't know would be there, as well as the Pirate & his wife from this forum (sorry, I forgot their names).  Great entertainment, great location, great merchants with varied products and excellent prices.  In short - a great comeback for this faire.   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

daggrim

Wow, good to hear your report.  A far better opinion than last year!
Daggrim
A merry heart has a continual feast.