News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Barbossa

Started by Welsh Wench, May 29, 2011, 12:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Wench

OK so what is it about Barbossa that just has that special...something?

Sure, Jack Sparrow is a great piece of eye candy and any woman in her right mind would want to take that candy wrapper off.

But as I watched the last POTC4, I found myself drawn to Barbossa.

The man has bad teeth, bloodshot eyes and a wooden leg. No chin, to speak off.

But as I watched him, it was like...wow!

Is it the way he commands a ship?
Is it the really big hat?
The great boots?
Is it the ultimate bad boy that I like?

Does he have the Kavorka?*

Is it just me?

Or maybe my standards took a nosedive....

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kavorka
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Becky10

He's always been my favorite character, for me I think its the kind of intelligent but semi-snide way he says things, similar to like Doc Holiday in Tombstone. I am a huge fan of Geoffrey Rush though so anything he's in I am drawn to him. 
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Captain Jack Wolfe

Hector Barbossa has charisma to burn, that's for certain.  He's the kind of character you'd love to have a drink with, but you'd be terrified the entire time that you'll end up in one of his sea tales.  And sure enough, there's salt spray in your face and you hear him barking orders from the quarterdeck.

He's just as nuts as Sparrow, but in a purpose-driven way.  He knows what he wants, and God help you if you stand between him and his prize.

Personally, I think Geoffrey Rush completely upstaged Monsieur Depp this time.  He's come close before, but the new director let him off the leash to chew scenery and kick arse.  I, for one, am grateful it happened.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Capt Spleen

Why do I get the feeling it's just you.......... and his BOOTS?

William_MacKean

He is human.  Something many aspire to for their entire lives and yet never become.

Taffy Saltwater

Hector is a fascinating character.  And Geoffrey Rush is just a mad good, intelligent actor.  Those two factors equal a pirate you wouldn't mind meeting in a dark corner of a pub.

EDIT:  Of course you know I'd be all over Teague.
Sveethot!

Welsh Wench

Oh....Taffy, Taffy!
The image you just conjured up!  ;)

Like the Mick Jagger of the pirate set.

I knew I liked you!

Taffy Saltwater

Barbossa did get a great exit - it sent shivers up my spine and made me want to cheer.  I think he really got some great writing this time and I was disappointed that Jack was so ... ordinary.  And there wasn't much in the way of sparks in the Jack/Angelica relationship.  I was hoping that Bruckheimer would look into finding another writer/s for this one.
Sveethot!

Francisco Paula

I am still waiting for the POTC movie where you walk into a pub and you see Teague there playing cards with the rest of the stones in pirate garb

Welsh Wench

I'd love to see Mick Jagger as Barbossa's father!  :D

Yeah, Sir Garath--or have them shooting craps and one of them starts singing Tumbling Dice softly.

BTW, Spleen--nothing rocks a good strut like a great pair of boots.  ;)

Noble Dreg

@ Cap'n Spleen...You mean "boot" right?  :D
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Mairte

Well. There IS something about Barbarossa. ;D Going to see the 4th pirates in the upcoming weekend so will have to see if I STILL think so.

Molden

must 'fess - allus liked Barbosa n' even Jones (though they "neutered" im in POTC3) over Sparrow...

guess I'll 'ave t' break down an' take in th' flick - th' Barbosa "props" 'ere on th' thread convincin me...
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Welsh Wench

Barbossa is a man after your own heart, Molden!  ;)

The thing is, Sparrow doesn't change. The same thing. I guess the plethora of Sparrow wannabes at faire is a turn off for me.

But Barbossa is a multi-dimentional and you can't wait to peel the layers to find out what makes him tick and...damn! Look at the time!
I gotta go to work!

Taffy Saltwater

Me & Capt. Teague at Scarby in '08:

Sveethot!