News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Shopping advice

Started by Duchess Marguerite, May 18, 2011, 10:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk

Capt. Spleen, are you suggesting I should "plunder" a goblet from the Baron and Baroness, seeing as though they have the actual goblets I am looking for?

Easier said than done, M'Lady!  Even for a Duchess!  Even for a Duke the size of a small walk-in freezer!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Capt Spleen

Lady Ana Francesca, I would never taint a Lady such as yourself, wit any ill ideas.

Unless ye were intendin' t' be a crossin' o'er t' th' dark side.

ladybootlegger

You might want to check some antique stores. That is where I purchased my husband's mug. I got mine from a good will store for $0.25.

You never know what treasures you will find at antique stores. I recommend that big one on Broadway, just north of West Littleton Blvd.
I'm the one going to Hell, you were only watching.
~Billy Connolly

Zoë

I second Lady Bootlegger's suggestion on antique or second hand stores. I found CORF's official ceramic mug from 1988 (the year I was born) at a Salvation Army, bought it for a few dollars. Interesting to see how much the size of the mugs has increased over the last twenty or so years....
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Merlin the Elder

I'll be checking that out! I never considered that those shoppes might have some old used wizard robes or such...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

cowgrrl

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 28, 2011, 10:44:53 PM
I'll be checking that out! I never considered that those shoppes might have some old used wizard robes or such...

They can be a good place to look for garb-like items.  Just today I picked up pirate attire for my 10YO at a thrift store for about $15.  She loves it.  It included:

-flowy lace up shirt
-black & white striped sleeveless top/vest
-gaucho pants
-red & black floral skirt with a bit of Asian as well (we cut it into strips partway up all around)
-beaded belt
-red headscarf & a black oblong scarf

She just needs some boots & she'll be all set.

Zoë

I shop regularly at thrift stores, for ren stuff and non-ren stuff. Amazing the kinds of things you can find there. I think there's a bit of a stigma associated with shopping at places like the ARC but there are some amazing finds there sometimes.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Capt Spleen

Call me Stigmato

Marietta Graziella

I picked up a fabulous leather belt for $2.99 at the Salvation Army thrift store.  It's a shade of green that perfectly matches the garb I'm working on right now!

Also found an amazing steal of a deal on a knee length leather coat and matching pants *shudder*...  $3.98!!  Fabric to be repurposed.

I *love* thrift store shopping!  ;D
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Duchess Marguerite

Quote from: Baron on May 24, 2011, 08:48:20 AM
Capt. Spleen, are you suggesting I should "plunder" a goblet from the Baron and Baroness, seeing as though they have the actual goblets I am looking for?

Easier said than done, M'Lady!  Even for a Duchess!  Even for a Duke the size of a small walk-in freezer!

Now now Baron, certainly you know that it is not in my character to "plunder" anything.  However, if someone from the "dark side" were to give me a lovely goblet as a gift, I wouldn't question where it came from.  You need not worry about your goblet(s).  I'm quite sure they are safe!!

Francisco Paula

Que Capt Spleen from the dark side ;D

Norfolk

Quote from: Lady Ana Francesca on May 18, 2011, 10:19:10 PM
I'm searching for a stainless steel or sterling silver (preferably the former) drinking goblet. Any advice??

Dearest Duchess,

If Your Grace can delay goblet gratification until your next visit to Larkspurshire, the Baroness and I have come up with a little something that may serve.  Be sure to let us know when Your Grace will be in attendance, and we will be sure to have it ready.

Fondly,

von Schaumburg
Just call me "Your Grace"