News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Interrupted journey

Started by DonaCatalina, June 16, 2008, 10:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

I knelt on the floor and laid my head on the mattress. My father came in later to check on me. I shook my head at the question in his eyes and he retreated silently. My mother came back in later and sat next to me. From the tension in her posture, it was obvious she wanted to say something but was unable to begin. I sat back and looked up to watch her clench her hands in her lap. She gathered her thoughts and directed her gaze down at me. "I do not understand" she began "Why you are fretting this much over a man you hardly knew. We are all grateful that he helped you get back to us safely. But this is more than your father and I can understand." She did not leave again so I knew she had more that she wanted to say. After several false starts she finally asked me the rest "Your father is worried that perhaps this man has known you.  He thinks that this is the reason you are so overwrought. If he were to die before he married you, the consequences would be............well, unpleasant at best. Is this the case?" I looked up at her and I never felt so tired before in my life. "Mama" I replied "I will swear on any holy thing you ask that Don Ramiro has not.......known me." It was a shock to me that my mother would ask me that. But my second reaction to my mother's words had brought my confused feelings into sharp focus. What she had asked made me realize exactly what Ramiro's kisses might have led to. Whether or not the dim light of the sickroom hid the blush that had crept into my face, I could not tell. Mama decided to be satisfied with my answer and left again as the Sister walked into the room. During the night, the Sister came and went at least three times before I fell asleep.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

I woke to the sensation of someone stroking my hair. My neck was so stiff that I could hardly move from the spot where I lay. At first when I was able to raise my head and look at him, Ramiro's eyes were still closed. After a moment he opened them and his eyes were the blue of a pale morning sky. "How did I get here?" he croaked through dry lips. The sound of his voice brought one of the nuns in with some water. She was not the same nun that I remembered from the night before. With the nun's help, Ramiro lifted his head and drank a little. He turned and faced me after he had lain back down. "I dreamed an angel rested next me and we were in heaven" he said in a clearer voice.  My heart was so full I could barely breathe until I swallowed hard and answered him "My love, when you are able to rise I will tell you the whole story." A crooked smile broke slowly across his face. "My love" he whispered "I like the sound of that. I shall have to hear it often".

=The End
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess