News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

DANGEROUS BEAUTY

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, August 18, 2011, 01:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Wel, I finally broke down and bought the movie, 'Dangerous Beauty' at the urging of Lady de Laney.

Set in 16th Century Venice where Courtesans were the Queens of Society. The story of a young woman, Veronica Franco, who loved a Nobleman(Marco Venier) she could not have as a husband. After becoming a favored Courtesan who was also a Poet, Veronica set out to possess her beloved Marco with a love that endured for the rest of their lives.

An intelligent and romantic film with gorgeous costuming, a good story, as well as a an excellent cast.

**** out of 4
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

DonaCatalina

Yes, I have loved this film for a long time.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Bonny Pearl

I love, love, love this movie.  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Betty Munro

FYI - The movie is based on a true story.  The part about her being tried as a witch and having her customers risk their own lives to stand up for her is true.
I LOVE the movie, the costumes, the story.  I also give it a 4 of 4 stars!

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 18, 2011, 09:11:08 AM
FYI - The movie is based on a true story.  The part about her being tried as a witch and having her customers risk their own lives to stand up for her is true.
I LOVE the movie, the costumes, the story.  I also give it a 4 of 4 stars!

That is correct, which makes it even more interesting to watch.   :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

DonaCatalina

You might also enjoy 'Mad Love' although it is in Castillian, it does have English subtitles.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Teague

Hmmm....all female reviews....does that make this a "Chick Flick?"
*Runs like Hades*

Seriously though, I have been noting this movie for a little while. Will likely have a view from all the glowing recommendations.  :)
The Code is the Law...

lady M

That movie was recommended to me by my son. He said I would love it. He was right. I love the movie.

Betty Munro

It's not a chick flick ... it's a ren movie.  Have some ren friends over, get out the loki and rum and prepare to DROOOOL over the costumes.  I'll bet you have at least one out of 10 wenches running to the fabric store to start making their courtesan garb!

Capt Spleen

i'll run to see this movie over and over again (seen it three times) Not a chick flick.

it is: Coming of age, and knowledge, passion, courtesan rivalry, sword play, comedic, serious, war, seduction of a king, seductive, beguiling, sad, Spanish Inquisition, court drama, politics.
Beautiful cinamatography, sound, music, color, sumptuous and sexy AND some of the best dialogue I have borrwed for ren faire.
One of the best marriage toasts ever I have heard!

Catherine McCormack
Rufus Sewell
Oliver Platt
Fred Ward
Naomi Watts
and gentlemen the always beautiful Jaqueline Bisset

See it with your girlfriend, wife, lover..........

Bonny Pearl

It's funny that this movie was brought up as it was on my wish list.  I had it on VHS and then of course the VCR went bye-bye and so did my chance of watching it for a while.  Fortunately, my hubby got it on DVD for me for my birthday last month.  :)  *need a smiley face with hearts lol*  :D
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Lady Gryphon

Betty

The only person Lord Dragon has to worry about is Me.  I buy enough fabric for 5 woman sometime.  I'm going to hold him to this.  We'll find the movie and watch it one evening when he's not working.

Thank you ladies for the recommendation.
Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?

LadyShadow

Ok so after this post was started I went and found it on Netflix to watch. I must agree it was a great movie. I plan on watching it plenty of times.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Yes! The costuming is to die for. Rich, sumptuous, and colorful. Which is why I will be making 2 Courtesan ensembles for a Special Lady next year.

I can hear the rustling of her Silk Overskirt now as she walks.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde