News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Anyone into tobacco pipe smoking?

Started by winterland, August 18, 2011, 08:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winterland

I have been interested but haven't made any purchases yet. I do like this pipe.
http://macqueenpipes.com/ranger.aspx

I have had a couple of acquaintances who smoke and and I always love the smell. I believe they were aromatic tobaccos.
Are there any shops at the MN fest that sell these items?

I have seen and smell many people at the ren fest smoking pipes. Wondering how to get started.

Thanks for any info.

Merlin the Elder

If you are not already a smoker, take some advice from a former smoker: Do not start. In the long run, you won't be able to afford it, either because of taxes, or because of the possibility of disease.

I'm not attempting to be judgmental on the subject, but it can lead to an addiction that is very difficult to break. The ingestion of tobacco in any form will supply your body with nicotine, and according to information provided to me by doctors, nicotine is much more addictive than heroin. And, according to my own experience, you don't want to experience it.

I love the smell of a good tobacco...still...but it took me 45 years to kick the addiction to cigarettes. Note well that I didn't say "habit," because in my case, it wasn't. I tried for over ten years to quit, and finally hit the right combination of drugs, time, and mental fortitude.

Sorry...end of lecture.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

winterland

I do understand what you are saying. That is the main reason I haven't started. I am lucky and have never really smoked cigarettes. Played around when a youngster etc.
But I thought most pipe and cigar smokers just inhale into their mouth. No inhaling into the lungs. I am sure there is still some ingestion of tobacco but I would think a quite small amount. 

DeadBishop

I occasionally have a pipe out at fest, but rarely if ever touch it during the rest of the year.  I don't use it enough to have become addicted I suppose.  I actually have had the MacQueen "Wizard" pipe for a number of years now.  There is Stogies on Grand that sells pipes, pipe tobacco, and cigars.  They have a tent right next to the mead booth out at fest. 

R/F.com member since 2003

groomporter

Quote from: winterland on August 18, 2011, 08:44:32 PM
I do understand what you are saying. That is the main reason I haven't started. I am lucky and have never really smoked cigarettes. Played around when a youngster etc.
But I thought most pipe and cigar smokers just inhale into their mouth. No inhaling into the lungs. I am sure there is still some ingestion of tobacco but I would think a quite small amount. 

Even not inhaling as deeply as people do with cigarettes there is a danger of lip/mouth cancer.

Fortunately I apparently didn't get the nicotine addiction gene, and I used to "drink tobacco" (period term) on site occasionally with a clay pipe or meerschaum carved like a Landsknecht's head that my wife found for me. Some MNRF participants used to smoke the "Powderhorn" mix from the tobacco store in Calhoun Square and it was one of my favorites. I still like the occasional wimpy small cigar like a Havana Honey after hours or when camping, but like DB it's only at fest after hours or when camping or special occasions as a "treat". I find if I smoke more than a couple times over a fest weekend I'm more likely to get a scratchy throat or cold.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Merlin

Go get it! They're fun..... just in moderation. I smoke mine at faire only and love it.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Serenity

I have the Wizard and love it!  I only smoke it at faire though, but the aroma is so nice  ;D
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Both M'Lady and I smoke at Faire, bought one at Scarby, but not often. We enjoy it when we do.

Be concsious of those around you, many don't like smoke.

Hey both Merlins - how you doing (although I "talk" to the elder often  :) :D
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

I'm doing well...haven't seen that boy of mine since RenDezvous though. He's probably up to something.

To all here, I wasn't trying to be judgmental of anyone, and hopefully wasn't sounding fanatical on the subject. I had even thought of getting a pipe myself, thinking it would be good for the wizard image, but as difficult as it was for me to quit, I really don't even want to chance it by smoking even a little.

I should think that very moderate use—like just at faires—shouldn't be a problem for most.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Grouser

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on August 19, 2011, 07:56:27 AM
Be concsious of those around you, many don't like smoke.

Speaking for myself, even though I'm a former smoker I now can't stand the smell of cigarette or cigar smoke but think pipe tobacco is an entirely different beast.

winterland

No worries Elder Merlin. Yours is very logical advice. We all have to keep our things that are fun to do but bad for us in some balance. I promise not to start smoking cigarettes.
Thanks for the info from others. I will check out the tent selling items at the faire. I am lucky and don't have anything on my wish list for spending money on at the faire this year. Except for maybe this.
I will probably be the smoke on special occasions guy like others seem to be doing.

winterland

Groomporter is this the place where you bought tobacco? http://goldenleafsmokeshop.com/
How would you describe the Powderhorn mix? Is it an aromatic?

I have a pipe coming from this place. http://www.lunapipes.com/
I heard some good things about them. I was going to get the macqueen ranger but they have a long waiting time. Supossedly this is a better pipe anyways, We shall see.   

groomporter

I guess you might call an aromatic, I'm not big on the terminology, it's a fairly mild blend.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

winterland

Received my new Luna Strider pipe. Did some fine smoking at the MN Fest the last 2 weekends. Went last Sat and this Sun. Great weather both days. Hung out at the Hobbit trail water garden with some fine musicians and many fairies.

Have been trying a few different types of tobacco. Groomporter's suggestion of powderhorn blend from the Golden Leaf in Uptown had been my favorite so far. Just received Middle Earth Pipeweed sampler pack and will try them soon. One of them named Shortcut to Mushrooms has gotten great online reviews.