News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Closed early and hope to open late -- Hurricane Irene

Started by Stasiakatt, August 27, 2011, 02:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stasiakatt

MDRF closed before 4pm Saturday and they hope to open at Noon on Sunday. Asking all the check the website and/or Facebook for updates on Sunday's open or stay closed decision.
Not sure what the weather was like at MDRF so far today, but I can say at the weather in Southern Maryland, Charles County, where I live hasn't been bad at all. We've got rain showers on and off and a little wind.

morganne

I got there around 11:30, and it was raining intermittently, which wasn't so bad.  Then it started to rain steadily.  I left around 2:30, and by then it was pouring pretty steadily (and becoming muddy and slippery).  I was also soaked to the skin.  I had a pretty good day, even though it was a short visit.

Steev

Ditto with Morganne- wet but tolerable early on, very wet and pushing the limits even for a rennie on opening day.  We left @ 1:30 because we feared the bay bridge would close and strand us.

Very fun time though, whole family greeted by the nobles just inside the gate and had a prolonged conversation w. Henry VIII regarding finding husbands for both daughters @ faire.  Had many other nice interactions with cast due to weather and low attendance.  I'd do it again in a second (but with waterproof oilskins!)
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

Steev

Well, faire is closed today (Sunday 28) according to the MDRF site.  Understandable given all the trees that must have dropped limbs on Revel Grove. S'pose it's a good thing as I won't be tempted to drive across the bridge in high wind.  Still... *sigh!*

Hope to see some of you next weekend, fingers crossed!
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Steev on August 28, 2011, 09:36:01 AM
Well, faire is closed today (Sunday 28) according to the MDRF site.  Understandable given all the trees that must have dropped limbs on Revel Grove. S'pose it's a good thing as I won't be tempted to drive across the bridge in high wind.  Still... *sigh!*

Hope to see some of you next weekend, fingers crossed!

Honestly, I think it's a bit more simple than that.  The power is out. Although they stayed open after Hurricane Isabel (2003, it hit on a Friday), I also recall how few individuals came the next day.  It was GORGEOUS at faire that Saturday but the far bigger issue was no one could take Credit Cards for anything, none of the ATMs worked, and I think a few of the food stands were down for the day.  If they can't accept a CC for admission to the faire, right there is a problem.     

Nailin

Does anyone know if Revel Grove suffered any damage??
Chieftess Nailin'
Irish Penny Brigade
Daddy's Princess
IWG # 3894

Village Idiots - Kevin

Flooding, lack of power, one shop got a four inch hole in the roof, and some downed tree branches. That's it. :)
Kevin Starnes
Artistic Director
The Village Idiots
http://www.rennieidiots.com