News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Jouster Seriously Injured??

Started by BarbarianQueen, November 26, 2011, 10:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morrigan

I'm just guessing here... but I would IMAGINE that the delay had little to do with difficulty getting the ambulance to the location (because Warcat is right, there is a direct route from where the ambulance is parked), and more to do with the difficulty of getting damaged armor off the jouster to accurately assess the severity of the injury (and thus determine whether transport was, in fact, necessary).   Unless there is indication of a life-threatening injury, there really is no rush to transport.  

In addition, I can PROMISE you that the EMT's and paramedics on site don't care doodly-squat about the "ambiance".
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Terre Albert

He was back on Saturday.  Only a shoulder injury nothing major.  It was more about the armor like was mentioned. 

Breandan

Having been knocked keester-over-tea-kettle and left dazed on the ground doing a tilt (I didn't duck fast enough) up in WA, I can assure you that it takes a while to get out of the armour safely without risking further injury. Taking off the gorget and pauldrons while maintaining C-spine is a PITA, but it was better to let the squires who knew the armour remove it than to have medics unfamiliar with it start hacking away at straps and compromise the support of the armour, making things worse. I have had it done to me, and I've had to do it to others when I was acting first-responder, and it is a tedious but necessary process.

edited to add: Come to think of it, I may be one of only a handful of medics in the country that actually knows how to remove plate-and-maille armour from a patient... wonder if that will help my resume? ;)
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me