News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The (new) Three Musketeers

Started by Rowan MacD, September 27, 2011, 09:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Mairte

Captain Teague

Anxiously awaiting this myself. And I get to dress up at work too.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Another take on the classic story. This too is on my MUST-SEE list. In October too!!

A very good cast. From what I have seen from many stills, the Costuming is to die for!! Spot on and colorful.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Seaman Blurt

It looks great. It also looks to be in a steampunk theme.  ;D

KeeperoftheBar

Please forgive the following rant.

I haven't seen much about this new Musketeer movie, but why would anyone take a perfectly good classic story and modify it away from the original?  For example, the Disney Three Musketeer movie had nothing to do with the Alexander Dumas story except for the names of characters and that it took place in France.

If they MUST warp a story, I wish they would change the name to avoid confusion not to mention tainting the quality of a rousing tale.   Steampunk in the 17th century???

At least when they turned Romeo & Juliet into a musucal they changed the name to West Side Story.  Now a days they would call it "Romeo & Juliet II, In the City"

Thank you for your attention.  (Soapbox replaced)
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Seaman Blurt

The trailer has these Air Ships (blimps?) that look very steampunk to me. http://www.threemusketeers-movie.com/

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: Seaman Blurt on September 28, 2011, 07:25:34 AM
The trailer has these Air Ships (blimps?) that look very steampunk to me. http://www.threemusketeers-movie.com/

That is what I mean.  The first hot air balloon ride was in 1783.  First they change the story then they change history to fit their "artistic view".  It seems like people have stopped being original and are changing (warping) the work of others to suit themselves and their percieved audience.  I do wish they had named it something else.  Some kid will see this movie then read the book expecting battles with 'sky-ships'.'  I do not think I shall give them the benefit of my presence or hard earned cash.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Seaman Blurt

Quote from: KeeperoftheBar on September 28, 2011, 10:05:20 AM

That is what I mean.  The first hot air balloon ride was in 1783.  First they change the story then they change history to fit their "artistic view".  It seems like people have stopped being original and are changing (warping) the work of others to suit themselves and their percieved audience.  I do wish they had named it something else.  Some kid will see this movie then read the book expecting battles with 'sky-ships'.'  I do not think I shall give them the benefit of my presence or hard earned cash.
you have a point, though i dont think kids read much these days unless it it reqired for school, and then it would just to read the cliff notes. Even, i have never read the original 3 musketeers *ducks*I have only seen movies based on the story. I am very easily entertained and being that i dont know the original book, i am not too disapointed

ravic

Just once, I wish that they would actually make a movie of the original book. The 70s one with Michael York was close but not quite.

Zardoz

Quote from: KeeperoftheBar on September 28, 2011, 10:05:20 AM

Some kid will see this movie then read the book expecting battles with 'sky-ships'.'  

It's a bonus if some kid actually reads the book!
I'll bet there have been at least a couple of dozen film adaptions of this story, with varying degrees of accuracy to the book. Kids are pretty aware that movies usually differ from their source material, which honestly can sometimes be hard to adapt into the confines of filmed entertainment.

Having said all that, I'm already sold on this movie thanks to the presence of the supreme being in it.

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Francisco Paula

Since Steampunk is one of the new fads is why you have the steampunk look in the movie. You want to appeal to your customer and you won't always do it 100 percent of them. Its a chance they are taking we will see if it pays off.

Oh please tell me they arn't doing it in 3D i am so tired of that crap.

Well i will go and see it but probably on tuesday since that is half price for where i go and i will sit in the balcony where they will serve me liqour if the movie is that bad.

Zardoz

Well it is in 3D, but around here at least you can see most stuff in 2D as well.
I don't mind the 3D gimmick most of the time, I'm not as tired of it as I am steampunk! I don't like paying 2 or 3 bucks extra to see it though!
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Francisco Paula

You are lucky Zard.

Where i like to see a movie and i do know i pay for what i want.

Cost $10 for regular ticket, add $5 to be in the balcony (bigger seats they serve you food and no one under 18 allowed after 6pm), than an extra $4 for 3d bring it up to $19 for a movie.

Captain Teague

As an Assistant Manager at a local theater for a fairly large theater chain, I can sadly say I am seeing more and more of "Let us take old tales, twist them and claim innovation." types of movies AND books more and more these days. I miss new stories and tales more and more.

Just a trivia tidbit here. I do not know all the technical specs, but there are 2 types of 3D. One looks great (Avatar) and the other is generic (Clash of the Titans)
I see a big trend in shoving 3D on everyone, and most (including me ) are not all that eager or impressed to jump on that wagon. They are pushing even harder now that 3D televisions are available. And I don't care myself to have it shoved at me. When the newest Conan was released, we were only allowed to show 2D in the afternoons, all evening shows were 3D only. ( and attendance was crap, FYI ) And also many up and coming are going to be 3D period. Sad but true.

Also seeing a definite trend towards Steampunk. I do believe they are getting in on the fad for sure. they have been experimenting with it for quite some time, as I remember the "Wild Wild West" movie with Wil Smith as being one of the first I noted it in. The recent Sherlock Holmes (and the new one coming soon ) with Robert Downey also dabbles in it.

As a side note, one movie ( Not Ren Genre, though ) that appears to at least be somewhat of a new idea is "In Time." While I am no Justin Timberlake fan whatsoever, the story itself has more than intrigued me to see it. But I will likely wait for a few reviews first.

But I am getting off track. Yes, another re-re-telling of a classic. I just try to remember that perhaps another author had quite a different viewpoint of a story, sort of like reading two different eyewitness accounts of an event. Or perhaps in differing dimensions or planes of existence, things are VERY different. Many stories subscribe to that notion as well.

But good or bad, I will certainly see this one as I have seen them all. Wouldn't want to break up the set or anything.  ;D

(Side note: some pretty hefty prices there, folks. Ours is 6.75 on matinĂ©e times, 3 bucks for 3d and 8.75 evenings, also 3 bucks if 3D. Sorry, no balconies though. Come visit, I can get ya in free.  ;D  )
The Code is the Law...