News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sewing machine FAIL!

Started by TakeItSnape, October 06, 2011, 12:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TakeItSnape

So, I have 2 days before my faire here in Las Vegas. I made a pattern, cut my pieces and went to sew. My foot pedal has seemingly died because my dogs decided to use it as a chew toy. Now, I don't have another one, new time or money to buy a new one, etc. Can anybody give me any ideas as to how to create a costume, simple dress, nothing fancy, without sewing? Or has anyone had success with thrift store finds?

Many thanks in advance on any tips!

Blushing

You might be surprised at what you can find at thrift stores.  I know some folks have found some great stuff for faire, even good-looking boots.

Good luck!
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

iain robb

Also, bear in mind that your sewing machine foot pedal is a simple switch mechanism that could be easy to fix or replace. Perhaps you'll find one in a thrift store.

isabelladangelo

Thrift store, yes. 

Also, hand sewing isn't nearly as hard as many people think.  If you can sit there and blindly watch the tv, you can also sew while watching the TV.   A simple straight stitch doesn't take much time at all and you can do a whipped hem stitch around the hem.   A surcote would work for most fairs and shouldn't take long to work up by hand. 

gem

I'm with Isabella. Presumably you still have a needle, yes? :D  You can get fairly quick with it, but I don't know what you've started to make or how much hand-sewing experience you have (I'm guessing hardly any, since you panicked when your machine gave out, instead of immediately grabbing your needle and getting to work!). I think two days is probably pushing it, particularly if you have anything else you need to do in those two days, like going to work/school.

TakeItSnape

Oh, I have plenty of hand sewing experience, I just have half a dozen pugs and very little time, I work 40+ hours a week at Caesars Palace. I did manage to find a foot pedal in town for not too much, so I am in the process of something right now. :) Thanks for all of the input and courage folks!

isabelladangelo

Slightly OT:  But if you see two ladies in Regency gowns, please take their picture and send me the link?