News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

**** Official 2012 Countdown ****

Started by Merlin, December 26, 2011, 05:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

perhaps his inhibitions are felled by the comfortable feeling of Scarborough Faire.  ;D
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Not all wizards can spell correctly.... it's a jenetic thang...  ::)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Merlin

Thats write.... sometimes hour grammer can be..... wrong?
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Merlin the Elder

angusmacinnes

Some dayz you wizzards are not right.   ;D
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Merlin the Elder

Definitely not right, Angus.  You don't find Druids on the right too much...

angusmacinnes

There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

raevyncait

I started going back in about 2003, I think, with my best friend/identical-twin-from-another-mother Darla, and her son. For a few years we went one day, and then after the 2005 visit, during which we each purchased our first pair of Medieval Moccasins, we decided that one day was NOT enough, and so in '06 we made a weekend of it, complete with a stay at the Texas Inn. Trust me when I say DO NOT DO THIS. She'd had a friend make her a beautiful gypsy costume, out of wholly inappropriate fabrics for Scarby in May, and I cobbled together a sort of peasanty outfit from stuff I had. Late that year, I met one of the local members of the IWG through another organization, and bought a FOF for the 2007 season. That's the year that I developed a friendship with Nelson Stewart, of The Rogues, and I was at faire every single open day that season. I also visited Middlefaire, TRF, and Carolina RF that year. In 2008 The Rogues asked me to sell CD's for them, so I had participant passes in 08 & 09. 2010 I had a FOF, and then this last year I worked for Majikah so had a participant pass again, as I will this year.

over the last several years, I've visited all the major festivals in TX, Norman, PARF, Sterling, MDRF, and Carolina.  Some have been better experiences than others, and only one have I really been uncomfortable, but no matter where I go, I compare first to Scarby. Scarby is home. 99% of the time, when I get through those gates into the parking lot, even before I'm in the festival proper, the drama and stress of the outside world melts away, and I'm happy again, all is right in my world.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

DonaCatalina

Raevyncait is not saying don't spend the weekend, she is saying avoid the Texas Inn.  ;D
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Oh, I dunno... You can always put saddles on the rats to let the roaches ride, and have yourself a nice race.

Didn't the Texas Inn burn down and get rebuilt since 2006?

What everyone has said about Scarby—about it being like "being home"—is so right. I've had people, who I've never before had direct contact with, acknowledge me, one noting that I've been coming down for a number of years. Now, if I were a regular, like Angus, or DC, or young Merlin, who are there every weekend, I could understand it. But we've only been there one or two weekends a season most years.

With Homer, the Odyssey, making trips more comfortable for these old bones, we'll be making more trips, I should think. Last year, we traveled close to 5,000 miles on faire trips, and have about the same already scheduled this year. We may need to make about 3 visits to Scarby this year...I could live with that! My new garb gives me a number of options for various weather conditions.

I never expected to build the friendships that I have with some of you Scarbites. It makes Scarby even more special.

And this is a countdown, isn't it?
Well, it's 90 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes, 45 seconds until Opening Cannon!!!

raevyncait

DC is right, do NOT stay at the Texas Inn. There are NO handicap accessible rooms, mostly because there are NO GROUND FLOOR ROOMS. When we made the reservation, we specifically asked for a ground floor room, (and paid in advance), then got there to discover that there were none. (apparently it goes against their nature to be up front, and it's a good thing we CAN climb stairs, we just don't like to have to do it, with our arthritic knees). 
All of the rooms face WEST, the A/C is a wall mounted unit (looks like a standard window unit, only it's mounted in the wall) IN THE BATHROOM on the EAST wall. When we left to go to faire in the morning on Saturday, we left the air on low, knowing that since it was forecast to be 95 that afternoon, that the room would be miserable if we left it off. Upon our return, we entered a room that was about 108, because not only did they turn it off, they partially opened the drapes in the window. Fortunately, we're close enough that we could each clean up leaving the bathroom door open so that the one in the shower didn't get frostbite while everyone else roasted!

It did not burn down, I don't remember a fire there at all, but I could have blocked that out.  I do remember back in, umm, 2009 I think, there were some straight line winds & possibly a tornado or two that touched down and ripped the roof off the TI, and did some other damage to the building, but they reroofed and repaired the other damage and reopened the following year.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Merlin the Elder

Very easily could have been the tornado I was thinking about. I just remember seeing some signs or something about it being closed due to something... Besides groceries, old age discounts also apply to memory...

LadyStitch

Also... feel free to add a brief story describing WHY you go to Scarborough Faire
Why do I go to Scarby?  To be honest that is where I feel at home. Most renfaire's I feel like I walked into one of my family member's home's.  The first time I went to Scarby was back in 2001.  One Saturday one of our friends said next saturday they were going to scarby, and did we want to go. From my stash of fabric I made my frst garb.  I laugh at it now.  The back of the bodice had velcro in it!  The pour PP came in mundanes and was miserable until a friend bought him a Lady Dra shirt (against his wishes. BTW this is the same shirt that is 2nd to his Flamingo shirt, in the number of times worn to faire ;D)
I had so much fun, when they mentioned going to TRF that fall, I knew I had to go to that as well.  The only year that we didn't get to go to scarby at least 1 time during the run was when we were in hobbit land (New Zeland).
With the kiddo and work things we may not get to go many times this year, but we are going to go at least 2-3 times. Wouldn't feel right if I couldn't see my 'family' at least a few times  ;D

And if it means anything, soon as we found out we were expecting, we started making the kiddo garb for faire.  No leaving her behind, the fuzzlet is being dragged along :)  She has her ren aunts and uncles to meet.  ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Merlin the Elder

Why do I come to Scarby? We had such a miserable time on our first visit, as you can see by the accompanying photo... Jeez... I think I actually still had hair! ... and where the hell is all the gray?!?  1989 was a reasonably good year...  That's my other boy, young Merlin. I suppose you might say he's your half-brother. His head looks like yours now...

BagPipeBabe

Is it weird that I had a dream last night that I was ""back home" at Scarby??
I went the first time in .... I am not sure. I want to say 2001. I went with my brothers and I ever made grab for myself( it was so bad).. I have gone back ever year since and had FOF passes a few times. I spend the hole year planning for the fair. I know my family and friends are SO tired of hearing about it. I cant wait for this season! My husband has some family that lives in waxahachie i can stay with. So i going to get to go Sat and Sun this year!!