News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Mistress of the Art of Death series

Started by Rowan MacD, January 25, 2012, 09:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

I received 'A Murderous Procession' for Christmas and I am hooked.
http://www.arianafranklin.com/franklin-reviews-murderous.htm
    This one, which is #4 in the series of the adventures of Adelia-A woman Doctor sent by the king of Sicily in response to a request by Henry II for the best forensic scientist he has-is a fictional account of the wedding journey of Joanna (Joan) of England-7th child of Henry II and Eleanore of Aquintaine and younger sister to The Lionheart. 
This combines two of my favorite subjects-History and medicine...I am headed out to get the first 3 in this series:

Mistress of the Art of Death
  The Serpents Tale
  Grave Goods

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

Oooh! That sounds like something we'd like a lot!  Thanks for the heads up!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

auntiegiggles

I LOVE all of her books!  Amazing series  ;D
Everything goes better with giggles

Rowan MacD

I was able to find the 1st and 3rd books-still looking for 'A Serpents' Tale',   I may have to order it. 
They were $15.00 each in paperback form B&N...
IWG wench #3139 

auntiegiggles

Do you have a half-price bookstore?  that's where I picked up the series.  you can always try amazon they have some really cheap prices for books too  ;D 
Everything goes better with giggles

Rowan MacD

Bumping this a final time-I finished the series...(between renovating and school there is only so much reading time, and these were hard to find) only to learn that the author has died.  There will be no more.
    Rats, this woman is one of the best writers I have ever read.
    I highly recommend reading the series in order, as each book continues the story.  This is one of the rare series that does not romanticize the Briton of Henry II.   The often squalid living conditions, prejudices, superstitions, and the all encompassing influence of an often corrupt and contradictory Church.
    The series contains very good descriptions of the judiciary system that Henry forced down the throats of his nobles and Clergy: The concept that everyman, no matter his means, could ask for a trial by a jury of his peers.  That in front of the judges (one each of the Clergy, Nobleman and Commoner) all men were equal, no matter their rank or whether or not they were connected to the church.  This core system is still in use today.

IWG wench #3139