News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire recommendation

Started by loxley, February 12, 2012, 05:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loxley

Hello all,

I am looking for a recommendation of another faire in driving distance from Pittsburgh to visit this year.   Preferably, the faire would run early in the year, like spring.  I would prefer not to attempt to visit another  faire during Pittsburgh's weekends.  I have a small group of revelers saving their dollars to make an overnighter somewhere.

So far as i can see, my choices are Wild Rose, GLMF and Virgina Medieval Faire.  Has anybody attended any of these?  If so, would you recommend them and is alcohol peritted?  Do any support camping or are near lodging?

I just didnt get enough ren faire last year and I aim to visit another faire this year.

Thanks in advance.

arbcoind

Loxley,  what about PARF?  It's about 3 1/2 hours drive straight out the turnpike from Pittsburgh.  Accommodations are close to faire.  I haven't been there in a few years, but it's worth the drive.

Gina

Rogue Hidesmith

I went to GLMF several years ago and had a really great time. Its actually somewhat similar to Pittsburgh in that it's heavily wooded. I believe it was a converted boy scout camp. I remember it being mostly flat though as opposed to PiRF's rocky and hilly terrain. They also allowed dogs at the time, though I'm not sure if that is still allowed.
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

loxley

Gina,

I have been to PARF.  I do enjoy it, but the season runs concurrent with Pittsburgh.  I am looking for something earlier in the year like May or June.

Rogue,

Do you know if camping and alcohol are permitted there?

arbcoind

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.medievalfaire.com/&sa=U&ei=LTc9T6OgApOJ2AWd-5iACA&ved=0CBMQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFLAemfDhOCEQr9tS4Flm5xEUGbWg

Loxley, link to GLMF website.  You also may want to post an inquiry on the GLMF forum.

I've never been to GLMF but several of my friends have and they enjoy it very much.  I was thinking PARF because is runs through October which is after PRF.  I hope you find something!!

Gina

Rogue Hidesmith

If you're looking for earlier faires, you'll have to head south.   Here's a map I had put together with all the faires I may conceivably get to one of these days. You can see PA is not exactly surrounded.

http://g.co/maps/nx9ps
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Merlin the Elder

Rogue, there's a couple of faires in my travel radius you missed, and I've enjoyed them both... OKRF in Muskogee, Oklahoma, a.k.a., The Castle, and Sherwood Forest Faire, just east of Austin, TX in McDade.  Sherwood is just beginning their third year and doing it like 30-year veterans, or better. Extraordinary progress in a very short time.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rogue Hidesmith

Merlin,
Thanks for the update. The map is a few years old and I'm unfamiliar with many of the smaller faires west of the east :) I've updated my map to include both of your suggestions :)
IBRSC #1603

Alaric

With all the rain we get in the spring in the Pittsburgh area big fairs would have a hard time getting crowds. (and making money)

Id like a driving distance springtime faire as well. Seems like Its a looooong time waiting for late summer/early fall/ fair season to kick off.   Plus, sometimes it is just way to hot in August to wear garb (or do anything outside for that matter)  :P

I did make it up to GLMF last year - Its pretty nice and is very similar to Pittsburgh. It is spread out more but doesn't have any real hills to speak of. 
Its about the same distance as PARF from where I live tho so I just go to Parf instead...

I do not like the whole ticket for food deal they have going on there. I would rather just pay cash...  But it wasn't a deal breaker :D 

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Alaric on February 17, 2012, 11:23:25 AM
I do not like the whole ticket for food deal they have going on there. I would rather just pay cash...  But it wasn't a deal breaker :D 

I forgot all about that!
But having been on the other side of the counter, collecting tickets is so much safer for the counter staff. Less chance of screwing up the drawer and no chance of less-virtuous employees siphoning the till.

It is a pain though at the end of the day if you have unused tix left.
IBRSC #1603

kcdcchef

also remember that PARF does it's Celtic Fling in late June. Not spring, but not same time as PRF. Highly reccomend it, it's just like a RenFaire weekend in June, basically. Hotter than hell some years, but that's anywhere.

I always make my trip to PARF the last weekend, it's cool/chilly, and they do one hell of a halloween showing.

ANd also reccomend GLRF, great festival.
Worth the drive.

loxley

Celtic Fling?  Interesting.   That may be the ticket !  Thanks  kcdcchef

kcdcchef

Quote from: loxley on February 22, 2012, 02:41:04 PM
Celtic Fling?  Interesting.   That may be the ticket !  Thanks  kcdcchef

yeah check out their webpage, www.parenfaire.com. has the lowdown.

it's great. most all of the regular acts are there, darn near all of them really. and then same on the food, and all the other attractions. it really is like a renfaire weekend in june, really.

also they have an opening nite for the fling on friday PM, GREAT show at the globe. AWESOME, so high energy. scythians been there, ditto ceann before the tragedy, and MANY others.

stonethrow

www.varf.org

The Virginia Renaissance Faire is 5 hours from the Pittsburgh Renaissance Faire.  Tickets are under $10 a person and worth seeing.

Dan

kcdcchef

me personally i havent done VARF in over a decade, since it was at the old site. That STILL breaks my heart, especially since the old site is sitting there in ruins not even used, so sad. Not like the bank needed the land back for any reason really, coulda left it in default long term. So darned sad. I need to give VARF another shot, if nothing else to say hey to Master James.