News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What Are The Family-Friendly Faires In Your State?

Started by Craigmeister, February 21, 2012, 01:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

Oklahoma used to have the most family-friendly faire in Bristow.  The King Arthur Faire was not commercialized.  Its last year was 2006.  I cannot remember a rude or risque act in all of the years I attended it.

For a few years afterwards, Tulsa's City/County Library System had a Renfaire at one of its libraries that was geared towards children.

What current family-friendly Renfaires are going on across this great nation?
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Merlin the Elder

Are you looking for 100% family-friendly?  All the faires I've been to have been 95% family friendly, but personally, I wouldn't go to one that was 100%.  I don't have children anymore.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Anna Iram

I wouldn't say any of our faires here in Florida are geared toward children, but some have more child friendly elements than others. Family friendly to me means something for all in the family, so a mix of bawdy for adults and humor thd kids won't get and a few shows and games for kids. Personally, I like the mix. Wouldn't want to attend a faire that is overly "adult" and would definitly not enjoy a "geared towards children" kind of faire.

The Rabbi

Spirit of Magic is very family friendly with no true bawdy acts we leave that up to our guest and the lanes. Not to say that some of these do not get a bit risque but always mindful of small ears. sorry folks I dont see dropping the F-Bomb to be a requirement for entertainment. I am sure that as we grow and spread out a bit more that there will be more bawdy acts but more along the lines of insinuation then anything else. While we do not serve alchaholic beverages we do not check your flask and it is a safebet that after hours there will be a bit of Irish to be found.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Merlin the Elder

While I'm a proponent for the F-bomb in certain circumstances, and in certain groups, faire is neither.  I would be more than happy to assist in the removal of a drunken (or sober) patron on an F-bombing run, whether there were children about or not. It's just not necessary.

Anna's assessment is spot-on. If it's too adult, the innocence that is faire (to me, at least) is lost. But, believe me, what is bawdy to one person, may be absolutely nothing to another.  That difference has reared its ugly head on this board from time-to-time, and no clear distinction has been offered.  There is also the issue of alcohol on-site. Some would find that to be non-family-friendly in and of itself, sometimes based on religious convictions, sometimes for other personal reasons.

So I guess my question remains, Craigmeister: What do you consider family-friendly?

The Rabbi

Well put Merlin: We each have our own perception of bawdy as we do alchahol so this is truly a tough question to answer. I try to be as nuetral as possable as I have been guilty of most indiscretions at one time or another and from time to time now as well. That being said I agree wholeheartedly fair is not the place for an F bomb run nor is being drunk heavy drinking should stay in camp and in an area which is what others choose to do. we are each responsable for whom we keep company with and should respect others wishes as they should ours as well. Me Ill take the group with a social drink and hearty conversation over puking my guts up the next morning been there done that.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Merlin the Elder

Hehheh! Yeah... Had those Puke-Fests back in the 12th century while I was still young. That was some awful grog! I can't do that anymore...  I'm a peaceful drinker. I just sit there with a stupid look on my face....  ::)

Craigmeister

Let's say a "PG" rated faire.  It seems that a little bawdiness is hard to avoid at a Renfaire these days.  Alcohol doesn't bother me at a faire as long as someone hasn't had way too much.  I'm far from being a kid anymore and don't have any of my own.  If I'm at a faire that has lots of acts that are constantly delivering innuendos or being downright "R" rated, I will find another faire to attend.

That being said, I wouldn't want to be at a children's faire that would feel like I'm hanging around a kindergarten class.  Tulsa' library faire had lots of kids' activities inside but they balanced it w/ SCA fighting and comedic sword fighting by the Twisted Blades outside.

Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Merlin the Elder

There is a 2-day faire in Fayetteville, AR, but I've not attended. It's recently been reorganized, as I understand it. Previous analyses of that faire were not favourable, but hopefully under new management, they will flourish. It's the only faire that I know of in Arkansas.  Due to other commitments this spring, I won't be able to attend, but I also understand that they plan a fall faire as well.

The faires I attended last year were all family friendly: Scarborough (TX), Sherwood Forest (TX), The Castle (OKRF), and Colorado RF.

While at OKRF, there was an inebriated woman who was getting a bit "friendly" with Archer and me until Archer's better half walked up and put her arm around him. It was a brilliant, and peaceful defusing of the situation by the missus. I don't know about Archer, but I was very uncomfortable, and unsure how to handle it. Isolated cases occur. It didn't alter my good opinion of OKRF at all.

Craigmeister

The Fayetteville, AR "Renaissance & Fantasy Faire of the Ozarks" is indeed family friendly.  I would rate it as "G" or "PG".  That may be due to so many vendors being part of a stamping scavenger hunt to bring families through their tents.  It has changed owners beginning in 2010 and has been revitalized.  I'll be setting up my Meister's Realm tent there again this spring & probably this fall.

Archer

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on February 22, 2012, 10:29:38 AM
While at OKRF, there was an inebriated woman who was getting a bit "friendly" with Archer and me until Archer's better half walked up and put her arm around him. It was a brilliant, and peaceful defusing of the situation by the missus. I don't know about Archer, but I was very uncomfortable, and unsure how to handle it. Isolated cases occur. It didn't alter my good opinion of OKRF at all.

The inebriated playtron was explaining that she was a new/recent divorcee and ready for some fun or instant gratification.  It was entertaining on its own to see Merlin in this situation.  It was a bit out of the blue but the unexpected is part of the fun of being in a different environment.  The location of Disneyland is well known.  I would not like to see faire becoming another Disneyland experience, at all.   
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

arbcoind

I consider PRF to be "PG" and very family friendly.  There are many shows and attractions for all ages and for entire families to enjoy. 

Gina

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Archer on February 23, 2012, 09:44:36 AM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on February 22, 2012, 10:29:38 AM

The inebriated playtron was explaining that she was a new/recent divorcee and ready for some fun or instant gratification.  It was entertaining on its own to see Merlin in this situation.  It was a bit out of the blue but the unexpected is part of the fun of being in a different environment.  The location of Disneyland is well known.  I would not like to see faire becoming another Disneyland experience, at all.   

I don't mind the unexpected, and I do like to drink. However, I seem to lose patience when drunks get obnoxious, probably from my days managing a restaurant/bar.  I actually did not hear her explain her recent jail-break. I might have been more patient with her had I known, but with so many children around, it still really wasn't cool. 

Archer

Agreed Merlin.   It was a timely and well executed intervention.  A damsel in distress should be able to look to a good knight or wizard for answers from time to time.   Our failure was to offer salve for the itch that she needed to have scratched.  I shall be better prepared by having a knight of single status nearby to throw in the direction of and for benefit of such damsels in distress, in the future.   :P 
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Captain Teague

They're called Squires, Milord. ;D

Or Cannon Fodder....

Or Minions, depending on what alignment you follow..... 8)
The Code is the Law...