News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Any storm damage?

Started by Drac, April 03, 2012, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PollyPoPo

Might salvage the broken glass for an art project.

Happy that everybody made it through without injury.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Merlin the Elder

Mon Dieu! ...and I don't even speak French!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

dleighb

Merlin, glad that you and your family are good. We had a similar situation in the April storms of 2008. The twisted transformers down the street from us made the news, but no mention at all of our neighborhood that looked like a war zone although not nearly as bad as yours (the video in the other thread made me cry). We got a new roof with some wind turbines, a new double board fence (because we couldn't find most of the original), a few new windows, a new chimney cap, new storage shed, some new siding, and since every window screen had to be replaced, we upgraded to those solar screens which have been a real help for our electric bill. Of course, we lost some things to glass and water damage, but luckily none of it was stuff that couldn't be replaced. On the whole, with the insurance money, we were able to take that and spend a little extra to have some upgrades done. Of course, it is terribly inconvenient throughout the process because it takes forever, but I will hope that in the end, you'll actually find it all beneficial. Take this time to get in a few upgrades if you can manage it. And then plant a new tree in memory. I hate hearing that you lost some old oak trees. Those aren't quite so easily replaced.

Very glad that you are well though. Keep up the good attitude. It will help a lot in the upcoming months as you get everything repaired. You're fighting with so many other people trying to get things fixed, the contractors really do work on a worst case basis. It wasn't until we told the roofers that we continued to have water leaking into the house, down our drywall despite the tarps, that they actually moved us up on the list. Good luck to you as you get it all repaired. I think our storms were on the Tuesday before Opening Day that year too. Being able to escape from it all at Scarby is a real boon!