News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Yay! Visiting Scarby for the first time!

Started by BarbarianQueen, April 24, 2012, 12:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

There have been a few that I wish the fashion police had been on duty to save my eyes from a thorough eye-bleaching. Had the fashion police have been there, these people would have been charged with crimes against humanity.

I am rarely critical of what someone wants to wear, but there are some bodies that should not have much showing, mine included. It holds for both sexes.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: lys1022 on May 08, 2012, 10:20:21 AM
My only suggestion is to make sure that whatever you wear is family-friendly.  Scarborough focuses on being a family faire, so if you're not sure if it is too risque, then it probably is.  I'm not saying that everyone has to be covered from neck to knees, but the folks at the gate WILL send people back to the car with the request that they put on a few more clothes if necessary.  It doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen.  So have alternatives ready if you're really not sure about your normal costuming.

THanks for the heads up.  Just curious - would you consider TRF a NON family-friendly faire?

lys1022

Quote from: BarbarianQueen on May 08, 2012, 11:41:39 PM
Quote from: lys1022 on May 08, 2012, 10:20:21 AM
My only suggestion is to make sure that whatever you wear is family-friendly.  Scarborough focuses on being a family faire, so if you're not sure if it is too risque, then it probably is.  I'm not saying that everyone has to be covered from neck to knees, but the folks at the gate WILL send people back to the car with the request that they put on a few more clothes if necessary.  It doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen.  So have alternatives ready if you're really not sure about your normal costuming.

THanks for the heads up.  Just curious - would you consider TRF a NON family-friendly faire?

TRF has its family friendly areas, but it also has some practices / customs that verge more on the "R" side of things.  Scarborough works very hard to keep things on the PG-13 end of the spectrum, with the few acts that go beyond that mostly located in the same pub so that it is easier to let parents know that they may want to consider the content before taking their children into that particular pub. :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

SirRichardBear

Personally I've seen a lot more questionable fashion choices by "blue Jean and T Shirt"  payrons than I have ever seen by those wearing grab whether period, or fantasy
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

DonaCatalina

wearing grab? You've been hanging out with Merlin too much Laddie.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Captain Teague

Quote from: SirRichardBear on May 09, 2012, 01:09:57 PM
Personally I've seen a lot more questionable fashion choices by "blue Jean and T Shirt"  patrons than I have ever seen by those wearing garb whether period, or fantasy

That was my actual first thought as well.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: lys1022 on May 09, 2012, 02:39:01 AM
TRF has its family friendly areas, but it also has some practices / customs that verge more on the "R" side of things.  Scarborough works very hard to keep things on the PG-13 end of the spectrum, with the few acts that go beyond that mostly located in the same pub so that it is easier to let parents know that they may want to consider the content before taking their children into that particular pub. :)

Thanks, and I agree.  There are events and shows that I don't go to or participate in, and even ones I won't let my boyfriend watch  ;D (can anyone say "Chainmail fashion show" .  I admire the Moxie of the gals who volunteer to do the modelling, and have been asked to join by friends who DO participate, but...NO WAY .  

I try to overcome any off-putting or suspicious impressions by exercising a super-firendly, sunny personality!  I am always amazed at the number of little kids that run up and start talking to us, and parents who want to get their kids photos with us.   I LOVE kids!  And, I find it really amusing that anyone would want their photo with me/us.  

Merlin the Elder

There was a couple that used to do Scarby. Her outfits showed skin, but I never thought it to be too much.  I always enjoyed seeing them.

I also have a question. I didn't know Will, the pickle man, as I've not done pickles at faire.  I took this shot many years ago. Is this he?

DonaCatalina

Courtesy of Photography on the Run
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Serenity

I've never been to Scarby...but your BOTTOM is showing!!!

If that's the "norm" for faires out west, I'm glad I live on the east!
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

Merlin the Elder

Meh!  I've been to Florida and there's a helluva lot less covered up on the beaches, and every Ren faire I've ever seen shows beaucoup boobage. Your own avatar supports that observation.  I don't find anything distasteful about a nicely assembled person showing some skin. Keep the naughty bits covered, and I'd have no problem taking a 6-year-old to faire.  At the beach, you wouldn't even need to cover those.  It's the human body...we've all got one!

The final decision is in the hands of the faire management, and is going to be based on what kind of audience they are willing to cater to.

Serenity

And I consider a tushy to be a "naughty bit".

Personal opinion.  Not trying to say anyone else's is wrong or right.  I don't believe thongs are appropriate on the beach either.  Just saying that I am glad I know what is/is not permissible at certain faire so I know which ones to visit/avoid.  Many people boycott/avoid MDRF (my home faire) because of the no weapons policy.  I don't have a problem with it.  Just a cultural difference  :)
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

Lady Kett

I've seen BarbarianQueen @ TRF, though never met her - hopefully we can meet up when you visit! I think you will be fine, hon. I believe your garb is quite tastefully put together. Some skin, yes, but the important parts are covered. And you have the body to pull it off. I however, could not pull that off! :)

If in doubt, perhaps a light cloak/cape. (emphasis on LIGHT!) I'm actually running down to the office of Scarby tomorrow, I can take a pic and ask if you are really concerned!

SirRichardBear

I have also seen BarbarianQueen at TRF and don't see were it would be a problem,  certain a lot less of a problem than the "gentleman" in the mini-skirt last weekend or the guy in the pink hot pants with yellow shirt last year. 

no offense Serenity but unless MDRF is searching all the patrons to verify that no is carrying a pocket knift and stops anyone wearing a leatherman mult-tool from going inside why should I be stopped from wearing a Sgian Dubh or dirk? ??? 

I'm always surprised by what people think of as weapons.  I've had people ask me why I have no weapons when I'm using a 5 foot 1 inch thick walnut walking staff,  I've tried explaning that my staff is a better weapon than 90% of the swords most people carry at faire but people just don't see cains and staffs as "weapons" even while they are some of the most dangerious weapons in the world.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin