News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How did/Did you make your way to "comfortable"? (Wordy. Long)

Started by Eric the Ugly, May 21, 2012, 12:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amyj

I have kind of pared down, by making some loose, non-corset-non-tightly-laced-bodice garb, or some garb that looks good soaking wet.  I have a "gypsy" bodice (not EVEN getting into what a "real" gypsy looks like, I call it gypsy, so daggumit, it's gypsy.  Deal.) that you can't even tell is wet when it is, and in our heat that helps.  Mostly I would say that the heat and humidity of my home faire is one reason that I'm historically accur-ISH in my garbing.  I use natural fibers that breathe but don't really worry about some of the frippery that adds things that can itch, stick or bunch in the heat (if that makes sense) or that I would worry about getting sweat or water on it.
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

As with most of the people here, I morphed when it came to being comfortable.

When I wear my Noble garb, I stick to as Natural fibers as possible. Cottons, Linens, Silks. Even if it is warm, I am comfortable because moisture is not evaporating as rapidly because of my various layers. I have portable shade as well as staying hydrated at all times.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

DonaCatalina

Quote from: stonebiscuit on May 21, 2012, 04:26:19 PM
Faire is my job, so I've had to learn to make HA attire comfortable. Obviously natural fibers are important, and drinking water, and covering your skin, but the golden rule when it comes to comfort, AFAIC, is "buy custom". Buying off the rack is not going to give you a fit as good as having something made (or making it yourself), and when the fit is wrong, you're not going to be as comfortable, the end.

And it helps that I know my stuff can be trown in the washing machine and hung out to dry if it gets muddy. The silk underthings I can wash by hand.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: Amyj on May 21, 2012, 04:37:41 PM...or some garb that looks good soaking wet.

Since my girlfriend is present on these forums I'll not, I repeat, not ask for more info on what this garb looks like when soaking wet! ;D

Quote from: Amyj on May 21, 2012, 04:37:41 PMaccur-ISH

You do, however, win the thread for the new word!  :D

Eric the Ugly

Lady Kathleen has responded in my thread! I'm not worthy!!! lol

But, seriously...

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on May 21, 2012, 08:32:15 PM
As with most of the people here, I morphed when it came to being comfortable.

I do find it interesting that one whom can storm forward and do seemingly all things garb related would ever see a need to scale back. It, after a fashion (if I'm pardoned the pun), makes me feel more comfortable in my personal decision to 'let some things go'. I mean, I know I should just relax and....relax, but I can't help but feel... darn... I dunno... like I'm being lazy? Not being...committal?
Weird.

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 22, 2012, 04:49:47 AM
Quote from: stonebiscuit on May 21, 2012, 04:26:19 PM
Faire is my job, so I've had to learn to make HA attire comfortable. Obviously natural fibers are important, and drinking water, and covering your skin, but the golden rule when it comes to comfort, AFAIC, is "buy custom". Buying off the rack is not going to give you a fit as good as having something made (or making it yourself), and when the fit is wrong, you're not going to be as comfortable, the end.

And it helps that I know my stuff can be trown in the washing machine and hung out to dry if it gets muddy. The silk underthings I can wash by hand.

Oh, please. If I can't throw it in the back of the closet for the better part of a year then haphazardly toss it in both standard wash and dry, then I'm either not buying it and/or not wearing it.
I don't even wear the nice casual sports jackets and blazers I used to wear that required dry cleaning in mundane life. It's either none or unlined 100% cotton ones that I can spray with Febreeze and toss in the wash once a year! :P

Eric the Ugly

Having a concealed carry permit and carrying a pistol everyday, I dress around it, so I'm used to layering even in the summer in GA. So I'm no stranger to this in mundane life.
So, wearing layers and whatnot isn't alien to me.
Others have issues with the cuts of the garb feeling so different to modern fashion, but that's not my issue either, as I mentioned before I actually love the feel of a doublet being 'way high up' at my natural waist. I've no issue of a heavy steel weapon on my hip either, obviously.
Strange, then, that I might still have these odd comfort issues. :/

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: insidiousraven on May 21, 2012, 04:19:32 PM
I haven't made that sacrifice yet.  Faire is once a year, and by god I'm going to dress all the way up for it. Though, my garb is not terribly uncomfortable either.

And see? That's yet another part of the issue (such as it is). How far does one go before one says to oneself (basically) 'well, heck I might as well just wear shorts and a t-shirt to fest if I'm gonna go this far?'. Dig?

I mean, yes, I could wear knee breeches and some simple shoes (as opposed to boots), no weapon and a loose and open jerkin or doublet and no hat and untucked shirt... but, man... from my personal perspective that's actually far enough gone that I might as well go in 'mundanes'.

Lady Kett

Well, when we first started dressing we had certain things in mind from watching other people at the Faire. So we went for those things. And you're right some of them are really not comfortable. For instance one of my first purchases was a dagger which I have long since deemed too heavy and not worth it!

And while I absolutely love most things piratical, I just didn't have the energy to dress that way this past weekend because it would have been too much trouble, LOL. And hot, but it was mostly the trouble part that sent me back to wench 101.

So yes, Eric I have done that same circle of "eh, too much trouble". But to cure you of going in 'danes - go once. We've gone in mundanes twice this year. One to Sherwood on a Sunday because it was near freezing with small bits of icy precipitation falling and we would have had to change in the parking lot for the 4 hour drive home. No thank you. Just let me in to pick up a few things and we'll head north! That was actually ok because several others we knew in a similar situation did the same thing!

And then one this year to Scarby due to my husband's health issues - it was either go in 'danes or not go. He hated it. It was like being in disguise. The next weekend (and since then) we've gone garbed, although a bit of garb-lite version compared to prior years.

Disclaimer: I have not yet finished my first cup of coffee...

raevyncait

I have found that my insistence on natural fibers for my garb has morphed over into my mundane clothing as well. Since I started doing faire, and investing in garb, I'm much pickier about the fabric in my everyday clothes too.  That being said, I honestly don't think I would be any cooler in comfortable (for me) non-garb at faire than I am in garb. The lack of a skirt over walking shorts or pants wouldn't make that much difference, partially because the skirt is hiked up in the front/sides, and most of my shorts/casual pants are jeans, and actually heavier weight than my bloomers plus the skirt, so less breathable.  As for the corset, I would rather be in a corset than the torture device that is a good quality bra in my size. At least the corset has a cotton lining against my skin and helps to wick some of the moisture from my skin.

There have been days that I went to faire in my shorts & t-shirt or jeans & t-shirt, and I don't think I've been any more comfortable, and actually, since I'd rather not be wagging around a purse or bag in my hands, I have at least my belt containing my pouches and tankard, so I have that weight anyway.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

amy

Eric!   I challenge the mouse sneeze test!   hahaha.. ( made my day! )

gem

QuoteI mean, yes, I could wear knee breeches and some simple shoes (as opposed to boots), no weapon and a loose and open jerkin or doublet and no hat and untucked shirt... but, man... from my personal perspective that's actually far enough gone that I might as well go in 'mundanes'.

Well... shoes were actually far more common in the Renaissance than boots, and many fairs (ours included) have a no weapons policy. We get by.  ;) (But yes, PLEASE don't leave your shirt untucked! I have given up with Milord, but he's not generally going for H/A anyway.)

Lady Kett, I can't stand going to Fair in mundanes! To me, it feels like showing up naked in church. (Not that I consider Fair a holy or sacred location, but the discomfort I feel is analogous!) Just... really wrong and uncomfortable. Last year we went to Comic-Con and only did costumes for one day. That was better, but we knew we'd go all out every day the next time!

stonebiscuit

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 22, 2012, 04:49:47 AM
And it helps that I know my stuff can be trown in the washing machine and hung out to dry if it gets muddy.

YES. I absolutely can't comprehend dry-clean only costumes.

Lady Kett

Quote from: gem on May 22, 2012, 12:06:56 PM
Lady Kett, I can't stand going to Fair in mundanes! To me, it feels like showing up naked in church.

That is a perfect description!!! LOL!

Maithu Ruadh

I've always wondered why the propensity of boots at faires, especially in otherwise beautifully historically accurage garb. Is it just a fashion thing or more to do with comfort/support while on your feet all day? Perhaps the more historically accurate shoes aren't as hard-wearing?