News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How did/Did you make your way to "comfortable"? (Wordy. Long)

Started by Eric the Ugly, May 21, 2012, 12:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kett

Quote from: Maithu Ruadh on May 23, 2012, 03:28:24 PM
I've always wondered why the propensity of boots at faires, especially in otherwise beautifully historically accurage garb. Is it just a fashion thing or more to do with comfort/support while on your feet all day? Perhaps the more historically accurate shoes aren't as hard-wearing?

For me it's rocks on the ground. Boots are simply more comfortable on the "protecting the foot" front. Open toed shoes, or very thin shoes would not be comfortable for me. Mary Jane type shoes just leave more room for dust.

So, I wear boots! :)

gem

Honestly, I think the boot thing is thanks to decades of fantasy covers and idealized "medievalesque" Hollywood costumes, from Errol Flynn to Kevin Costner.

In short, people just think they *look* cooler than shoes.

...Same deal with cloaks. In the Renaissance, people (men and women) wore coats. But we like the look of cloaks, so they've stuck.

stonebiscuit

I've always wondered why the propensity of boots at faires, especially in otherwise beautifully historically accurage garb. Is it just a fashion thing or more to do with comfort/support while on your feet all day? Perhaps the more historically accurate shoes aren't as hard-wearing?

It is so much easier to find boots that are going to last forever and be comfortable than more period shoes. Modern Mary Janes are a dime a dozen and fall apart just as fast. Besides, boots keep feet cleaner, dryer, and free from rocks and mud.

Alaric

All I know is I don't know how guys and gals can wear pirate coats in the middle of nasty humid August. I have a nice custom made doublet but sometimes it stays home if it gets too hot. 

DonaCatalina

Quote from: stonebiscuit on May 23, 2012, 06:00:18 PM

It is so much easier to find boots that are going to last forever and be comfortable than more period shoes. Modern Mary Janes are a dime a dozen and fall apart just as fast. Besides, boots keep feet cleaner, dryer, and free from rocks and mud.
http://oldesoles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3
Marcie's Shoes
Vendor Description:
Handcrafted leather shoes, boots and leather accessories.
866-552-6687
sales@renboots.com

I have a pair of Dream Shoes, now made by Marcie's that is 14 years old and only had to be resoled once. Don Juan has a pair of native earth medieval slippers that are 12 years old and have been resoled once. So it makes a big difference where you buy shoes.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

I wear good quality *mundane* shoes that stand up well to the rocky conditions at our fair. I started with a pair of Dexter maryjanes, and my current pair were made by Travelsmith and look almost exactly like the ones in this painting. (These are one of those purchases where I kick myself for not buying a second pair, and now they're no longer made! I love my tan ones, but wish I also had a pair in black.) I do realize it's probably more difficult for men to find mundane shoes that look period!

Bob of the Lake

For comfortable shoes, I wear Renboots' men's conchos (http://www.renboots.com/concho.html). They are very comfortable and durable, and much cooler than boots! Since most of my faire-going is during the hot summer, staying cool is a priority and these fit the bill. When the temps drop at the end of the season, I just wear them with socks (stockings). I should add that I tend to wear peasant garb, so the shoes fit the look well. They might not go as well with some other styles of garb.
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

stonebiscuit

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 24, 2012, 04:55:56 AM

http://oldesoles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3
I have a pair of Dream Shoes, now made by Marcie's that is 14 years old and only had to be resoled once. Don Juan has a pair of native earth medieval slippers that are 12 years old and have been resoled once. So it makes a big difference where you buy shoes.

To each their own. I've worn Dream Shoes and was not a fan. Unless something drastic changes, I will go to my grave declaring my love for my Sandlars.

Amyj

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on May 22, 2012, 04:56:54 AM
Quote from: Amyj on May 21, 2012, 04:37:41 PM...or some garb that looks good soaking wet.

Since my girlfriend is present on these forums I'll not, I repeat, not ask for more info on what this garb looks like when soaking wet! ;D

Quote from: Amyj on May 21, 2012, 04:37:41 PMaccur-ISH

You do, however, win the thread for the new word!  :D

LOL, sorry to disappoint, but the "wet" garb actaully has a wavy stripe pattern on it, so wet spots don't show....not nearly as hot as the visual I'm sure!  :D  But please feel free to use "Accurish"!  I found it's the best I can use to describe the fact that I DO research my garb and TRY to be accurate...but honestly, I don't care enough to fret over it....and if it passes the 10 foot rule, I'm good.  PLUS claiming "Accur-ISH" saves me from accuracy snarks who would want to "educate" me on the "right" way to make my garb.  (I know the right way, just don't have the time, money or heavy motivation to invest right now).  The "ISH" also is the part that leans towards comfort at the expense of accuracy.  ;D
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Meagan

I started "historical" clothing with Civil War reenacting. There are no short-cuts in clothing there. You either wear full regalia or you don't participate/are shunned. It can be brutal but many groups are going for accuracy and education so it is part of the territory. I honestly can't say I was ever uncomfortable, except when the boning side channel split and one of my corset bones was digging into my hip and armpit simultaneously. 

My first couple of outfits after starting faire were horrible. The chemises and skirts were fine but the bodices were terrible. I settled into ren-wench with occasional dabbles into noble-ish a la moresca and other more-or-less fantasy but pretty garb. Other then wench garb, I was rather uncomfortable because things didn't fit right or the material didn't breath well. I took a few year break from faire and went back for the first time this year in danes. I'm not sorry either. My mundane dresses are more comfortable than any faire garb I ever had. My priorities have changed. I don't go to faire for the history. Let's be honest, there isn't a whole lot of history out there. Some people try, and I applaud their effort. However, the fantastical is more prevalent. I am more interested in the atmosphere and the music now and I'm not seeking an escape from real life. When I garb again, I will go ren-hippie and call it good. 

Dinobabe

Quote from: Meagan on May 27, 2012, 09:20:17 AM
I started "historical" clothing with Civil War reenacting. There are no short-cuts in clothing there. You either wear full regalia or you don't participate/are shunned. It can be brutal but many groups are going for accuracy and education so it is part of the territory. I honestly can't say I was ever uncomfortable, except when the boning side channel split and one of my corset bones was digging into my hip and armpit simultaneously. 

This is one reason I just wear a uniform, AND it's still historically accurate! ;D

But, yes, in Civil War reenacting there is no wiggle room.  You might get run out of camp if you don't have it historically right. ::)  Though I think the button thread counters are becoming hard to find (phew!) and with more females dressing in uniform the dirty looks and snarky comments seem to be fading. ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Morrigean

Eric, you've reminded me how uncomfortable and hot I can be at faire.  I'm glad you started this thread, I never really considered pairing down a bit, but now I will.  I'm a wench, but I have gotten rid of the corsets, I just could not walk around, sit, drive, etc in one of those.  So I've been wearing boned bodices and they are way more comfortable.

But I could also leave a few things off of my belt.  Maybe skip the leather bracers when it's too hot.  Wear only 1 full cotton skirt instead of 2.  Switch to short chemises.  Ditch the favor rag.  Invest in a lighter weight hat instead of the heavy ones I have.  Hmmmm, you've given me something to think about.

Gina

Gina,
I've found (even though it may be historically incorrect) that by boning corsets in plumbing ties work just as well as steel or feather-weight boning. They give you the same effect as any other corset would for a fraction of the cost, also you can sit, bend and drive in it. All my corsets are boned in plumbing ties and they work wonders. One corset I have only has six pieces in it and it works just as well as any corset with spring steel boning and a busk. Also, short chemises are a wonderful thing, I wear them all season at faire. 

I hope this helped at least one person!

This is the corset with only six pieces of plumbing tie 'boning'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67034265@N03/7459392842/in/photostream

-Morrigean
-Morrigean Drummond Countess of Limerick

operafantomet

When I make an outfit, I try and plan various ways to make it adaptable to me. Tie-on sleeves which can be removed during the day, side/back lacing which can be opened or closed a bit without ruining the look of the bodice, skirt which can be hiked up - stuff like that.

Also, I've become a huge fan of the high-wasted dress styles out there, for example Italian High Renaissance dresses. They pinch my actual waist, and leaves lots of room for my belly under it... I wouldn't want to go to a faire or party without being able to gorge! :lol:

Apart from that I wear a linen shift, a sort handkerchief linen type, which absorbs lots of moisture if/when needed. I also wear a loose pocket or two under the dress skirt, so I don't have to carry a purse all day. Last, but not least, I've bought quality Mary Janes from the brand Campers, they are super sturdy but feels like wearing slippers. With a pair of washable stockings I am set for faire!

QEliz

I'm reviving this thread to ask a question.  I'm opening an online shoe store with modern shoes but also a section for historical footwear (from medieval to Edwardian, and steampunk).  I hope eventually to learn to make period shoes, hence the name "The Cordwainer's Apprentice."  (Shameless plug here: http://thecordwainersapprentice.onlybusiness.com - the shopping cart isn't operational yet but orders can be emailed.)

Most people that I talk to like the idea of historically accurate footwear, but comfort is the higher priority.  More so for women as their shoes rarely even show.  Rubber soles are very popular for their comfort, longevity, and water-resistance.

What do you all want in footwear?  I.e., if I could get whatever you want, what would you ask for?  Shoe v. boot, rubber sole v. leather sole, all brocade shoes, brocade shoes with rubber soles...anything.

Thanks!  And I hope I can actually help you find the footwear you're looking for.  That's really the driving force behind this endeavor; I don't expect to make money from it.  I'm just hoping not to lose any  :)

insidiousraven

Well, I have a real problem with dressy flats.  The back of the heel always rubs my Achilles tendon and blisters it, even with band-aids or other remedies.

The only pair of flats I've found that work for me are a pair of born mary janes which I wear to faire.

So for me, the most important part of comfort is a shoe that doesn't give me Achilles tendon blisters.