News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

1st time coming to the faire question

Started by Dorian Mallory, August 06, 2012, 10:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorian Mallory

Hello,

I am in the process of planning our first trip to this fair and have a question.  Should I plan on spending 2 days at the fair, or is 1 day enough if we get there at opening and stay until close?  I already plan on taking advantage of one of the package deals offered by the hotels as they seem to be a pretty good deal.  I would just tack on another day so we could come down the night before since we are coming from Rochester, NY and, though it is a doable drive to do in one day, it does make for an extremely long day, 5 and a half hours each way.  Any other advice would be awesome.  Our home fair is Sterling if that helps any with what we should expect.

Thanks.

BubbleWright

I would recommend doing a two day weekend. You won't have to rush about going from one show to another and have plenty of time to eat. The week before you go, visit the PaRenFaire website (link below) and down load/print The Daily Writ & Schedule, plus the Shire map. Then decide which shows you are going to see and find the venue on the map. Into September it still could get quite warm, while October will be delightful with perhaps a chill in the evening (bring a warm cloak). Please post when you are coming to visit us.........  Felix The Bubble Wright

http://parenfaire.com/faire/main.php

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Merlin the Elder

Hi, Dorian.  We have found that it's hardly worth the travel to not do two days. Now, we're older (60+), but we've been doing it this way for several years. It's tough to stay on your feet for a whole day, especially when it's hot (we do Texas faires mostly). If the faire is any size at all, you won't be able to leisurely enjoy in a single day.  Do two days...you'll enjoy it more.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

McGuinness

I would do two days if you can. The biggest shows of the day like the plot shows are usually not up against much, schedulewise, but we have....10? 12?...major stages plus all the street stuff that just pops up and all the food and drink. I've never heard anyone say they say all they wanted to in one day. Like Felix said, though, I would definitely check out the schedule and show descriptions before you come and gameplan what you definitely want to see versus what you'd like to see. Gameplan, gameplan, gameplan!

And have fun!

GoodyTombShoes

I have visited Sterling for the past 5 years. I love your faire. We usually come as a group and stay friday thru monday in Oswego.
PARF is about the same size as Sterling. There are a few hills but nothing like the big one down to the joust list. The shows run the gambit of kids, musical, theater, comedy and magic. The main difference that you will notice is the storyline. At opening, there is a performance where the story begins and it continues thru joust, human chess, the brawl and ends in a neat little package at finale.
I concur with the Bubbleman. You need 2 days to enjoy it all and not be worn out. If you need anything, just ask.
(btw, its not a bad drive, down thru the mountains to the valley)
Ale's a strong wrestler, flings all it has met. And makes the ground slip, even when it's not wet
IWG #3733