News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Please assist me with putting together Moresca garb

Started by Lady Gregory, August 16, 2012, 09:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Gregory

Their website is overwhelming to say the least.  I am heading up to NYRF this weekend to hopefully get garbed out.  I love it all, but am leaning towards the Max 2 bodice as I am rather long waisted and amply endowed, and although I don't mind a bit of cleavage, I do not want heavage.  But who knows, I may walk out with something completely different once I see and try them on.

I want to dress it down to more of a peasanty look, so was thinking it would look best in more earthy tones.  My question is, for this peasant look, what skirt and chemise?  Open to other brands as well. 

I do love the split brocade skirt look with the silk falda, but am thinking about doing that in the jewel tones for a more noble look down the road, and then making sleeves to go with them.  I figure that is an easy project to get started with since it has been ages since I have sewed.  I can already tell this is going to become quite the obsession.

I would love to see pics of what you have if you would be so kind post them.  Any inspiration and advice would be greatly appreciated.

insidiousraven

Lady Gregory

Yes, I would love to see you in your garb, whether fully Moresca or mixed with other brands/handsewn.  I need inspiration.;)

mehan

I could swear we had a conversation and Renee Buchannan posted a picture of herself in a moresca - but I couldn't find it.   However, this thread has some folk's opinion on them

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=14602.0

gem

If you do a Google image search for Moresca, you'll find pix of Lady Renee on the very first page! :)

Lady Gregory

Quote from: mehan on August 16, 2012, 11:04:34 AM
I could swear we had a conversation and Renee Buchannan posted a picture of herself in a moresca - but I couldn't find it.   However, this thread has some folk's opinion on them

Thank you. I have been scouring the boards for info, but missed this thread.  Very helpful indeed.:)

Lady Gregory

Quote from: gem on August 16, 2012, 11:10:56 AM
If you do a Google image search for Moresca, you'll find pix of Lady Renee on the very first page! :)

Yes, Lady Renee certainly looks smashing in all of her Moresca bodices. It is because of her pics and a few others' here that have convinced me to go the Moresca route.

Lady Gregory

Another question: would a layered, as in multi lengths, skirt in a casual cotton or linen look out of sorts with the more structured Max 2 bodice?  I plan to do muted, earthy tones to give it a more casual, peasant look. I am on my phone now, but will post pics of what I have in mind later.

gem

Please keep in mind that I have looking-online-only experience with Moresca, but I'm assuming you've seen this photo of the original Max?

...Which is probably as "peasanty" as you're going to get with Moresca! LOL  Also, if you look through their .pdf flyers on their website, I find it easier to visualize whole outfits, than from the general website images.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "multilayered" skirt. Like, two skirts layered together, similar to this? Or a tiered skirt, like this one (not that color, obviously!)?

I do think that with Moresca, there seems to be a danger of shifting toward frou-frou, when you get a lot of layers together. BUT! If you follow mundane fashion at all, stylists often recommend pairing structured pieces with more freeform ones, to create a nicer balance. One way to keep things looking more "toned down," as you say, would be to keep everything within the same color palette (like the purple ensemble linked to above). Purple's a pretty bold color, but the way that etsy merchant has styled it, it reads as a neutral, and the look is fairly "clean" overall. Even mixing up neutrals might prove more "busy" than you were looking for.

But... it's MORESCA!!! Why not go for over-the-top?!

Have fun! One day I hope to get to see their garb in person!

isabelladangelo

Moresca is all fantastical so it is what you make of it - in other words, it's all about the accessories.   Adding a nice looking mug to your simple leather belt around your bodice will help make you look more "peasant".   Shoes will also help you to get the right look.   Stay away from jewelry and go with the flower wreaths.  Non shiny and muted tones will give a more earthy look.   Shy away from jewel tones and anything that is the brightly colored.   

Rowan MacD

I could swear we had a conversation and Renee Buchannan posted a picture of herself in a moresca - but I couldn't find it.   However, this thread has some folk's opinion on them

The above thread is the best collection of info regarding Moresca we have to date.  

Reviewing it reminded me that I did post the measurements (as provided by the makers to me) and descriptions for the Max II, etc.
   The heavage question was also brought up and answered:
    Moresca bodices are sized small, and not really made to accommodate large chests. They don't have darts or princess seams, and are boned from top to bottom so they will smash you kinda flat (elizabethan style) so the only place for the girls to go is up, and you will probably end up with a 'shelf' effect.   Some folks like this.  
   The best way to describe the styling is 'Carnival in Venice' rather than 'Renaissance faire'.  There is a lot of fantasy/fairy tale/exotic stuff there.  Fun, but not period.  I think the closest they get to HA is the 'Phillipa' outfit.  
   The Max II, Max and Philippa are more noble-looking, while the corduroy is waaaay more affordable and definitely more 'peasant'.  All are nearly indestructible, and Moresca has a free repairs forever policy on the Max and Max II.
   If you want comfortable, durable and naughty, you may like to check out Damsel in This Dress.  If you want a bodice that will love your curves; either DITD or Odd Bodkin.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Gregory

Quote from: gem on August 16, 2012, 12:26:46 PM
Please keep in mind that I have looking-online-only experience with Moresca, but I'm assuming you've seen this photo of the original Max?

...Which is probably as "peasanty" as you're going to get with Moresca! LOL  Also, if you look through their .pdf flyers on their website, I find it easier to visualize whole outfits, than from the general website images.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "multilayered" skirt. Like, two skirts layered together, similar to this? Or a tiered skirt, like this one (not that color, obviously!)?

I do think that with Moresca, there seems to be a danger of shifting toward frou-frou, when you get a lot of layers together. BUT! If you follow mundane fashion at all, stylists often recommend pairing structured pieces with more freeform ones, to create a nicer balance. One way to keep things looking more "toned down," as you say, would be to keep everything within the same color palette (like the purple ensemble linked to above). Purple's a pretty bold color, but the way that etsy merchant has styled it, it reads as a neutral, and the look is fairly "clean" overall. Even mixing up neutrals might prove more "busy" than you were looking for.

But... it's MORESCA!!! Why not go for over-the-top?!

Have fun! One day I hope to get to see their garb in person!

Yes, I did see those Max bodice ensembles. I do like that look, but wondered if the peplum and epaulettes were too noble for that skirt. I will def look at the PDF files.  Thanks for the tip.

The "witch" skirt you linked is more of what I have in mind.  I have been eyeing a couple of peices by that second vendor.  Have you purchased anything from her? 

You are right about Moresca being over-the-top.  I think I need to stop obsessing and go try stuff on and see what calls to me.  I'm just so excited, I can't stop thinking about it.

I hope you get the chance to go to one of their shops. It was like being a kid in a candystore.  I haven't bought anything from them yet, but I have been saving and am going to indulge.  Thanks for all your insight.

Lady Gregory

Quote from: isabelladangelo on August 16, 2012, 01:36:00 PM
Moresca is all fantastical so it is what you make of it - in other words, it's all about the accessories.   Adding a nice looking mug to your simple leather belt around your bodice will help make you look more "peasant".   Shoes will also help you to get the right look.   Stay away from jewelry and go with the flower wreaths.  Non shiny and muted tones will give a more earthy look.   Shy away from jewel tones and anything that is the brightly colored.   

Yes, yes, yes, you are describing exactly what I am envisioning.  I know it won't be HA, but I don't want to clash either, just like I wouldn't wear a tailored suit jacket over a terri beach cover up.

Lady Gregory

Quote from: Rowen MacD on August 16, 2012, 02:47:47 PM
I could swear we had a conversation and Renee Buchannan posted a picture of herself in a moresca - but I couldn't find it.   However, this thread has some folk's opinion on them

The above thread is the best collection of info regarding Moresca we have to date.  

Reviewing it reminded me that I did post the measurements (as provided by the makers to me) and descriptions for the Max II, etc.
   The heavage question was also brought up and answered:
    Moresca bodices are sized small, and not really made to accommodate large chests. They don't have darts or princess seams, and are boned from top to bottom so they will smash you kinda flat (elizabethan style) so the only place for the girls to go is up, and you will probably end up with a 'shelf' effect.   Some folks like this.  
   The best way to describe the styling is 'Carnival in Venice' rather than 'Renaissance faire'.  There is a lot of fantasy/fairy tale/exotic stuff there.  Fun, but not period.  I think the closest they get to HA is the 'Phillipa' outfit.  
   The Max II, Max and Philippa are more noble-looking, while the corduroy is waaaay more affordable and definitely more 'peasant'.  All are nearly indestructible, and Moresca has a free repairs forever policy on the Max and Max II.
   If you want comfortable, durable and naughty, you may like to check out Damsel in This Dress.  If you want a bodice that will love your curves; either DITD or Odd Bodkin.

I am sure Lord Gregory won't mind regarding the bolded.

Yes, some of their stuff reminds me of what Cinderella's stepsisters would wear. A lot of their stuff I would have loved to have worn when I had a flat belly pre-motherhood. 

I will definitely check out those other brands as well.  I have heard great things about both.  I am starting with Moresca as I am impatient and can buy in person, love their style, and mainly because I can try it on to see what styles work well with my body type.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Ha ha!  I couldn't even find my own pictures!  So here are some dressing the Moresca's down. And since I never can figure out how to make them smaller, apologizing in advance for the large sizes.

Regular Max with a cotton chemise and a cotton blend solid skirt. I ended up selling this because it was too big.

Moresca Cleo in black. You can't get any more dressed down than a pirate or a peasant!

Bought a sundress at Goodwill for $4 and cut it down to make the skirt.

This is my favorite Moresca garb.  It's the Cleo bodice. My friend made me the chemise an the pantaloons. I love the ruffles on the Cleo, and consider my garb to be "hysterically inaccurate."

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich