News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Care and Feeding of your Noble Renaissance Garb

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, June 30, 2008, 11:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnyuBoo

I've discovered that a good way to minimize the need to wash/clean garb is to spray it beforehand with a weather-proofing spray (like what you use for shoes).  Just make sure to test it first on bits of fabric left over from making the garb.  With my garb sprayed like that, after Faire, it just needed to be brushed off, the hemline of the gown was all that needed washing, then aired out and it was fine.

Anything leather (especially hats and boots) get rubbed with Dubbin (works better than spray for keeping rain off), and feathers in the hats get a gentle misting of hairspray (followed by weather-proof spray if heavier rains are expected).
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Trillium

What a wonderful subject and great advice!!
Keep it up!!! ;D
Got faerie dust?

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: AnyuBoo on July 01, 2008, 11:32:59 AM
I've discovered that a good way to minimize the need to wash/clean garb is to spray it beforehand with a weather-proofing spray (like what you use for shoes).  Just make sure to test it first on bits of fabric left over from making the garb.  With my garb sprayed like that, after Faire, it just needed to be brushed off, the hemline of the gown was all that needed washing, then aired out and it was fine.

WOW I love that idea. never thought of it. Toki takes extra care of his boots as he know's leather well (He makes belts, pouches gloves and many other things) So after each use he cleans them off, then mink oils them (or something like it) and they look brand new still.

I'll look into the weather-proofiing spray.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Adriana Rose

there is nothing that i have that cant be washed at home. Granted I dont wear nobles but I dont like having things that cant be washed!

But maybe if you make your own garb and you want to put fur on it try to make the fur detachable so that you can wash it with out taking the fluff outta the fur...

Dayna

Underwear (smocks, bloomers, socks, partlets) get washed at the end of the weekend, one set for each day.  Wenchy skirts get washed when they get dirty or if it's rained and they're muddy, it's just easier to rinse off the mud and toss the whole thing in the washer.  All this is machine wash and mostly tumble dry (blackworked things get line dried) since all my fabric gets washed and machine dried at least once so it's already bled and shrunk all its going to.

Some of my nobles are dry-clean only, however I'm trying to get away from that as I replace garments.  Those get dry-cleaned fairly frequently since dust shakes out but somehow I always end up getting the overskirts muddy.  Washable overskirts and forepanels are machine washed gentle after hand-washing the dirty areas.

Heavily beaded items are pinned to a sheet along the outside and then spot pinned here and there before hand washing.  The sheet and pins keeps the beads from rubbing against each other and catching and etc., especially helpful if you have prong-set jewels (I did it for two girls dresses, and NEVER AGAIN!!!)

Bodices, corsets,  and sleeves are machine-washed gentle and hung to dry as they get funky, febreze is good.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

peggyelizabeth

First off, I have to second Lady Kathleen's recommendation of Fresh Again! This stuff has saved my life doing outdoor theatre in June. It gets rid of even the worst b.o. with just a few sprays and once it does it's thing, it doesn't smell at all. Some of my actors have in the past complained about the smell as I spray costumes, but that's b/c I've been spraying over 100 pieces at one time! When all I'm spraying is one or tow costumes, it's not too bad and it evaporates quickly. You can buy it from the maker at their website: http://www.fresh-again.com/

I machine wash on a gentle cycle just about everything. Smocks, socks and bloomers go in almost as soon as I'm home. Depending on the item they are either hung up to dry or tossed in the dryer.
I wash everything else on an as needed basis, but most things have been in the washer at some point. If it's caked in mud, it's getting washed. Even the beaded stuff is washer safe, I just use the "hand wash" setting which agitates intermittently.  I try as much as possible to shake out the dirt from gowns and underskirts and then determine if they need washing or not. If all they need is a quick freshening, I use the Dry Cleaners' Secret sheets in the dryer.

Once a year, before the season starts, I wash all of my smocks and Joe's shirts in Rit SunGuard. I burn too easily to take a chance on my sunblock giving out on me & since he rarely remembers to put any on, I know he's better protected as well.

Dayna

Rit Sungard???

Pray tell, what is it, where can I get it, what does it cost, how long does it last?

Dayna, aka Lobster Woman (I burn looking out the window on a sunny day)
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Tudor-Diva

I am MARRIED to velvet because of the ease of cleaning.  Dirt brushes right off, and when I need a good cleaning, I hose those puppies down in the back yard by spreading them across a couple of patio chairs, spraying with a mild soap, or watered down Woolite, and letting them air dry.  I am of course speaking of the over dresses.  My kirtles, underskirts, and chemises go in the machine, and depending if there is beading, I either hang them up to dry outside or throw them in the dryer.
Stacy Bakri

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

That sounds very similar to what I do. Except I take the hand attachment with the brush on a vac and get the dust and heavy dirt off 1st then wash it outside with soap and water.

One thing I would be worried about with Wollitte is I used to work in a womens clothing store and they said Manufactors recommend not using Woolitte on anything but wool as it breaks down the materials faster than normal and in some cases destroy them outright.

Not sure how true it was, but it came from our higher ups in the company.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

peggyelizabeth

SunGaurd is available with Rit dyes in many stores, like Joann, Michael's, etc. Basically, you wash your items in it and it gives them the fabric equivalent to an SPF 15. Not a ton of sun protection, but when it's cloth that's the first barrier, it's better than just using sunblock. They say it lasts for over 3 months of "normal" washing, but I just do my stuff that's worn at faire once a year, I figure it can't hurt it.

mollymishap

Hmmm...what about this: 

No matter how quickly I wash my chemises after I wear them, I wind up with yellowish stains in the underarm area after a few wearings.  I'm afraid to use bleach because...it's bleach.  SO, I usually hand scrub the daylights out of the area, which helps a little (I think), but the stain is still there.

I've tried switching deodorants, used spot-cleaners (like stain stick), etc. all to no avail...so I must conclude that it's me.  I think my sweat just stains, period.  Go figure.  I mean, I know all sweat will stain, it's just that mine seems to be particularly good (and fast) at it.

Do any of you know if Oxyclean will take those pesky stains out?  Or any other product?  I have a few chemises that have embroidery on them that I'm afraid won't hold out too well to my usual scrub-a-thon. 

Thanks in advance!

OH, and as to the original subject:  I echo everyone's comment about hand-washing.  Pre-wash everything first before you start sewing and you should be fine. 

I do have a tip to add, though.  For my (rayon/silk blend) velvet Elizabethan gown (http://www.myfairelady.com/contract-queens/fullsize-picture.php?id=2), I hand-wash in the tub, use a bunch of towels to blot as much of the excess water out, hang it up to drip to get more water out, and when I think the dryer can handle what's left, I put the garment in with a couple of dry towels and a sheet of cling-free and tumble for no more than 5 minutes on low or just air dry.  The tumbling helps to return the pile to it's original shape, and no wrinkles!  I then hang it outside to finish drying.

Baroness Doune

Mollymishap,
You are not alone in trying to get rid of yellow sweat stains.

It seems to be caused by the combination of ingredients in antiperspirants with sweat.

The most common solution I have seen when I did a search online is a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and boiling water to rinse.  Degreasers seem to help also.  (I see a lot of oils mentioned in the ingredient list of antiperspirants.)

The active ingredient in Oxyclean is hydrogen peroxide.  Most people say save the money and go with the baking soda/hydrogen peroxide/boiling water solution.

So, I am off to experiment!

peggyelizabeth

you might also try using a good old fashioned bar of Fels Naptha soap. It's amazing for getting rid of stains and it's hand to keep a bar around since it's the only thing I know of that will cut the sting of nettles and the itch of poison ivy quickly and easily.

lys1022

Currently all of my noble clothing is washable, and I will really always try to keep it that way.  That said, however, the one outfit that I do dry clean I take to the dry cleaner who cleans the costuming for the local professional opera company.  I called the opera and connected with their costuming department to find out who they used.  It's out of my way, but I really only do the dry cleaning once at the end of the season before I put things away.  It's also more expensive, but it's worth it because they KNOW how to handle the fancy trims / beading / etc that's on expensive costuming.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Baroness Doune

Ya know Peggy, I have been thinking about getting some bars of Fels Naptha for the longest time.  (Since you first mentioned it on Margo's list, IIRC.)

Mentioning that it reduces the sting of nettles made me decide to order it.  We certainly have no end of burning nettles in our backyard.