News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Renaissance Faire Food, What do you look for?

Started by lady serena, June 30, 2008, 01:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on July 02, 2008, 08:19:42 AM
  Why must faire food be greasy, in a bread bowl, or on a stick?    Just because everyone else has that, doesn't mean people won't eat something new.

Working in the Food and Beverage field, I'd have to say it's a matter of what's easiest to make for the numbers they're trying to feed and available "talent" they can hire.  Something that can be turned out quickly, easily and with the least amount of prep/training is what they're most likely after.  Unfortunately, this doesn't always mean it's something people want (i.e. the "steak" sandwich I tried at MiRF last year).  Fresh things like fruit and veggies take more handling and more quality control than something you can fry up on a stick.
Anyways...them's my 2 pence!

renren

I know pasties( meat, or meat and veggie pies) were popular in the day, easy to carry to work, and all wrapped up in their own crust. could be eaten hot or cold..
Myself, I like them cooked more than the ones I tried at Twig.
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

DT_Masters

Pretzels ..... preferrably without salt though if that is the only thing they are selling............. Nourishing, fast enough to eat on the move, non greasy.......all in concern to the camera, of course.

robert of armstrong

I know that there is some thought to making some of the food relatively H/A, or at least what would be interpereted as period correct (or at least close).  Or something that can be named to sound like it blenged back then, ie steak on a stake.  And the bread bowls serve two purposes:  no styrofoam bowl to throw away so less garbage, and bread is a cheap, easy way to fill someone's tummy, so you walk away full and content, even if you got less of whatever was in the bowl then what would have filled you up.

For me, I love them turkey legs.  Last year Sterling roasted 'em up, and then, just before they handed it over, dipped it in what seemed to be a heated mixture of BBQ sauce and (likely) turkey fat.  Oh, it sounds gross now, but come to Sterling and taste it.  From heaven.  That and the "wenches" (their adjective) serving them up told everyone that walked by that they had the best legs in all the land, that one only had to have a nibble on their legs and they'd be hooked.  Then they ask if you wanted the leg bare, or saucy.   "Saucy, please!!"  and under my breath, "you wonderfully naughty girl."  Oh shoot.  Did I type that or just think it??

Back on topic.  I have also thoroughly enjoyed the white chicken chili in a bread bowl, I think it was at Ohio RenFest.  I tried to get the recipe, but no one would give it to me.  And I bet it's something I could just buy to keep me warm in the winter.  Yummy yummy white chicken chili.

And the frozen cheesecake, dipped in warm chocolate, at Maryland is great.  And their apple blossoms.

No wonder I come back from the trips to the Faire in need of a bigger belt.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Aiacha

With all the choices I have a TRF, my fave has always been the cheese and cracker plate at NYRF.  Cheese, crackers, a few grapes, dip, along with a glass of mead is perfect!

DonaCatalina

Fish & Chips at Scarby. They added Grilled Salmon this past season.
Yummo!
(LOL)
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Randal

As a participant at TRF I usually bring my own food to snack on backstage, but it's a toss up between Gingerbread at the coffee shop, a Gyro at the Greek agora, a Muffaletta in the French quarter, the Potato Salad in the German section, Cabbage Rolls or Peirogies in the Polish village, and Fish & Chips at the Sea Devil Tavern if I decide to eat on site. I try not to eat anything very heavy when working, especially at the start of the season when it's still so warm.

At the new Sherwood Forrest Faire it was a tie between the Fish & Chips, the Shepards Pie, and the Spinach Pie at the same little booth. For dinner to share with friends and family it was pizza fresh from the wood-fired oven. It's much cooler during that time of year, so I like a heartier meal.

Randal

Vive Ut Vive

Dinobabe

I never cared much for faire food, except the CHEESE BALLS!!!!  I would walk 50 miles for those.  The gingerbread cookies were a nice treat.  It was always a lot of fried or just bad stuff like people have mentioned.  Luckily since I was at a booth we made our own lunch.  I always enjoyed fruit, cheese, bread, and a wine bottle with lemonade or similar in it.  Find a quite grassy spot and lay down a cloth.
I remember it was always hard to get grandpa to eat lunch.  He didn't want his breath to stink when reading palms! :D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Malcolm

At the Greater St Louis Renaissance Faire, we have a new vender,

I haven't gotten passed the Pulled Pork, but I hear the Cherry Wood Smoked Spare Ribs are great.
YOS,
Malcolm Abernethy
Knight Commander, Order of the Blue Ribbon
IBRSC #1272
1608 Society
"Be the best you can be... considering."

Merlin the Elder

I've been trying to expand my horizons and not get the same things each trip. Some things I've had were perhaps not spiced to my liking, but that's just my personal taste. My experience at different RenFests is quite limited, but I will say that the quality of the food at Scarborough is very good. It beats what they serve on campus here!  So I guess what I look for is quality. (Never mistake that for being healthful...it's faire food after all!)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Merlin the Elder

a frozen chocolate-covered banana rolled in bacon?!?  MERCY!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Dinobabe

Sounds like the Mid-South Fair food served here.
Deep fried Twinkies and Snickers bars, even fried ice cream!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Capt. Morgan

Fruit, veggie, cheese, bread, beefstick trays (Great Lakes Medieval Faire)
Oyster shooters, steamed shrimp/clams, seafood gumbo, red beans and rice (MDRF)

I usually try to find things that aren't so far removed from it's original state and I don't really like sweets at Faire. If its particularly hot I carry packets of Gatorade to add to water to keep hydrated but a nice selection of good ales and hard cider is always a must as well!
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

ravic

At TRF, it's Kettle Corn. Stuff is addicting enough it outta be on the Controlled Substances list.

lys1022

Wow...I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Victor's pasta yet!  There's always at least one choice I want, and usually more than one.  Plus he has wonderful salads and garlic rolls. 

The quiche at the Victor's French booth is a great way to start the morning with a bit of protein.

Love the chocolate-drizzled macaroons from the bakery.  Also, I love to get a brownie from them and head down to the Pepper Lady's booth to top it with a bit of jalapeno raspberry jam.

The wrap sandwiches are good, though they used to be better.  You used to get more in them, but the last couple of years they've gotten smaller in terms of meat and veggies inside the wraps. :(

When it is hot out, I like to pair a cold, crunchy pickle with an uber-salty, warm pretzel.  Great combo!

The biggest thing this year was to get the garlic cheese bread from the French booth and to put a piece of steak from the Steak on a Stake booth between the slices of cheese bread.  Totally nommy sandwich.  I'm thinking of seeing if I can get the stir fry guys to just do some peppers and onions for me to add to it next year. *grin*
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.