News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Avoiding heat Stroke at Faire

Started by DonaCatalina, April 24, 2009, 08:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Neck coolers worked wonderfully-I gave away two.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Sigundo

Ok, I gotta ask this (I'm sure its been addressed before), but WHY can't (some) faires be held in the cooler months? Extensive research by myself indicates that during the renaissance, they had four seasons. Winter was a bit harsh,  but spring and autumn sounded great temperature-wise. If I win the lottery (sure, that'll happen ::)) I will see what I can do about hosting a faire in the high 50's/60's just to see if anybody would show...  My son-in-law's brother suggested faires under the "dome", but I think that would take away a lot of the fun/atmosphere of the faire.

On the other hand, I still try to go during the hot months (as I have little choice), but stick with peasant clothing as its light and breathes, ducking into shade whenever possible.. I have a cloak, but its never been used.. someday perhaps..

Climatizing yourself for a few weeks by spending more and more time in the heat also tends to help me a bit. Hiding in the air conditioning all year and then going into the 90's is rough on your body. I  usually do 3 weeks, but then most people probably spend a lot of time in the sun and don't need to climatize. Since I went on the insulin pump, I try not to stay out in the heat (over 85 degrees) on a regular basis. Though I do have one of those FRIO bags and a pouch cooler for the actual faire day. When I'm "practicing" for the heat, I disconnect the pump and just don't eat carbs of any kind..
I clicked "change profile" but it still looks as bad as it did before! Please fix!

PollyPoPo

Quote from: Sigundo on June 24, 2014, 07:08:11 PM
Ok, I gotta ask this (I'm sure its been addressed before), but WHY can't (some) faires be held in the cooler months? ... someday perhaps..

Actually, the list of this year's faires shows quite a few held September through November in the US.  December/January is kind of sparse, but that could be due to the holidays.  February/March shows the AZ faire, but Sherwood Forest Faire also runs February through March. 

For someone to plan a faire during February/March anywhere except maybe California would be very iffy as to weather.  Low temps might not be unwelcome for faire-goers, but the likelihood of heavy rains, flooding or snow would put a severe damper on anyone planning a faire in the Midwest, Rockies or Eastern parts of the country.

It all depends on what part of the country and the usual weather patterns. 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Rowan MacD

This Spring has seen some unusual weather in the Midwest this year.   We went from near drought to flooding in less than a month.  Some areas are seeing 5"+ of rainfall at a time.   
  Early Fall (Sept-October)and late Spring (May-June) faires as least tend to include a cool weekend as well as a warm one.    Anything earlier than April outside southern California, the deep South or Florida, will rarely be even comfortably warm.  Most  people are not going to take the family to an outside venue in a Blizzard or when then site is still experiencing hard frost overnight.
  The rule of thumb here is: Hold your faire during planting and harvest-the Farmer knows best.    It's not a good idea to schedule anything outside from mid June through August-it's always hot and humid.
  I would like to see someone organize a midwinter faire somewhere inside up here.  The cost for the venue and climate control would be the biggest hurdle.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Sigundo

I suppose that is all part of it. I personally am comfortably warm in anything from say 47 (with no wind) to 72 (with a breeze). Anything lower than that and its time for long sleeves or above that and its time to sweat. Keep forgetting that I'm not quite normal. I catch a lot of flak during the summer for the complaining, and some of my co-workers put on a light coat anything below, say, 65. Then fall and winter arrive and I get to poke fun at them putting on a parka to go outside to have a smoke or something and its 60 outside. I enjoy the great outdoors in the spring and fall the most.

Obviously I didn't mean winter... the crazy weather the last few years would mean you would be stuck in snowbound roads in the northern half of the country. I'll check on those southern faires though. Limited funds would mean losing the close ones (Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee) and going to a distant one or two, but might be worth it for the comfort. Then again, Kentucky has the Dickens festival, that I've not attended yet... course if November in Arizona is the same as June-July in Kentucky that wouldn't really make a difference...hmm... lots of study to do while I wait for my lottery ticket to win. haha.

Oh, almost forgot. I have to add 8 degrees or so to the climatological records as any faire I attend on any given weekend will show an 8 to 10 degrees micro heat wave during my visit. Last one was even higher, at Scarbourough Faire where it was 92 when I went then 72 the following weekend, but SOME of that was just Texas, not all me.  ::)
I clicked "change profile" but it still looks as bad as it did before! Please fix!

Merlin the Elder

It snowed at Scarby on opening weekend a few years back, and the vendors said it was even colder the second weekend. I went the third weekend, and it was upper 80s.

Sherwood Forest, same deal. I've been there for the sleet on opening weekend, and also 80s...February in Texas.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Hoowil

Out here we have pretty much all soft site faires, and most are only a single weekend. That said, with 200 miles or so, there is a faire every month starting in March and ending in November. I haven't made it to the last one, but I know the one in Sonora in March has had some freezing weather (literally) and even snow. I think a lot o faires run during the summer so as to not conflict with holidays, and to allow a greater flexibility of camping and breaks for students. Or it could be because rain and faire dust = mud.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

LadyStitch

I plan our clan yearly trek to TRF.  We generally go the same weekend every year.  We have had years where we have had people nearly have heat stroke the first weekend on November, and the next we had 35 degree weather.  I have to plan for everything. There is a reason that we have both gatorade and hot chocolate packets in our camp kit. 

I'm debating making my own hat chillers. We bought some from a vendor a couple years ago but they have been used to death.  I will say on days over 80 they are a life saver for us. The trick will be how to do something like that for the fuzzlet.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.