News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Staying in (a rude) character when asked to pose for photos?

Started by InternetTroll, March 27, 2013, 03:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InternetTroll

tl;dr version
How can I stay in-character when people ask for photos? Is it ok to be a little rude about it, for the sake of remaining in character?

Longer version:
I've inherited a very nice hairy troll costume, which I've worn my past few renfaire visits. During my most recent trip to the Sherwood Forest Faire (TX), I was stopped for tons of photos (as usual), and I also had people offer me tips for posing with them (not usual).
I'm sorry to say, I was completely out-of-character during these encounters.  I have a touch of the social anxiety, and I was terrified of coming off as rude (even though that would be more in keeping with my character). I could only bring myself to say "of course!" for photo requests, and "no thank you" for tip offers. I was very polite, but not much of a troll.

So, my questions are:

• Do you usually stay in-character if asked for a photo?
  • If so, do you have a rehearsed 'stock' reply for photo-requests, or do you just wing it?
  • What's more important: politeness or in-characterness?

Lady Renee Buchanan

Just my 2 cents.......

Most mundanes have no idea who is on cast and who isn't when they go to faire.  It seems like people who offered to tip you thought you worked there.  Even though your character is rude, I'd bite the bullet and be nice and have your photo taken.  If you don't, you may be mistaken for cast and unintentionally give a bad reputation to the faire.

I'd say something like, "Yes, you can use that magic box, but when you're done, I'll have to eat you" or something nonsensical like that, but it's better to err on the side of politeness than be complained about to the faire manager as that "mean cast member who wouldn't let us take a picture" or worse, have someone go back home and say to their friends, "the faire was nice, but the workers were rude."

You're right - no tips unless you work there.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Meagan

I wouldn't be rude. You can be gruff and antisocial without being a jerk. If someone asks for a picture, you can say "If I must," or just strike a pose. Or use Lady Renee's suggestion, I thought it was brilliant.  In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with stepping out of character for a bit to be polite in those few instances.

Wickedvox

I agree with both ^^^
And Lady Renee is just a model of brilliance and congeniality!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Lady Renee Buchanan

Ah, shucks, you guys..........

*Renee is turning beet red while eating her oatmeal*

Thanks for the compliment.  Steve and I love faire so much (our first faire was 34 years ago, and we haven't stopped!) that whatever it takes to make people have a good time, we try to do. 

So that our beloved faire - all of them, not just our home faire - will continue, since it's the patrons who spend the money to keep it going. and we want them to have a good time and keep coming back!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Norfolk

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on March 27, 2013, 05:57:51 AM
Just my 2 cents.......

Most mundanes have no idea who is on cast and who isn't when they go to faire.  It seems like people who offered to tip you thought you worked there.  Even though your character is rude, I'd bite the bullet and be nice and have your photo taken.  If you don't, you may be mistaken for cast and unintentionally give a bad reputation to the faire.

I'd say something like, "Yes, you can use that magic box, but when you're done, I'll have to eat you" or something nonsensical like that, but it's better to err on the side of politeness than be complained about to the faire manager as that "mean cast member who wouldn't let us take a picture" or worse, have someone go back home and say to their friends, "the faire was nice, but the workers were rude."

You're right - no tips unless you work there.

Spot on! 
Just call me "Your Grace"

InternetTroll

Thanks all. Good advice.

"Rude" was definitely not the best word to use. I made this thread in the wee hours, and "rude" was the best my brain could come up with for "not polite."

stonebiscuit

Frankly, it sounds like you responded perfectly. Simple questions demand simple answers, gruff can easily come across as rude, and it's better to err on the side of politeness.

Nidhoggr

Just my 2 Copper, but with the tip thing:  If you're a mean troll the proper way to do it could be as follows.

Play it off as playfully offended or playfully snarky and just be all: "Blargh!   But that means you liiiiike me.... I don't want to be liked....  Also, I don't work for (king, faire, whatever)! I am sad you think I do.... I suggest you give it to one of his merry makers.  I do fine off just bones and scraps!".  If they don't understand then break character.  It'd keep it playfully rude and most people will understand instantly without being offended.

Rowan MacD

We have not had a good, scary, kid-chasing  troll around here since about 2004. 
  The one we had back then was very good.  He dressed like a scarecrow, in leather and burlap,  tights, and patched and pointed turn shoes, and a huge floppy hat over ratty, straw like hair.   
    His character would be best described as 'barely polite';  like he had learned just enough manners to pass in a crowd of civilized humans.  He wasn't rude, just straightforward:  He wants to eat your kid (or your dog) for lunch-You say no,  he moves on.   
    If an adult stopped him for a picture while he  made his rounds and offered a buck, he would dodge the offer by asking them where he could find a bad child to eat for lunch. 
   His half mask sported a huge, foot long, warty nose, and large hairy bat like ears.   He carried a bullwhip on his rope belt, and he was an expert with it.  His tip jar was near the bridge where he hung out with his assistant who kept the crowds out of the way when he cracked his whip, and I didn't see him take tips anywhere else.
   He would rest nose on top of the heads of random children during photo ops, while he loudly sniffed them for 'good' or 'bad', then ask the parents what they thought.
   If the parent assured him the kid was good, he would look at them suspiciously and say "You sure?, he smells off to me!" and then offer to take him off their hands later on if they changed their minds....He was great fun. 
   He stuck with that one theme, and it pretty much covered every situation.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Aderin

Quote from: Meagan on March 27, 2013, 09:15:03 AM
I wouldn't be rude. You can be gruff and antisocial without being a jerk. If someone asks for a picture, you can say "If I must," or just strike a pose. Or use Lady Renee's suggestion, I thought it was brilliant.  In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with stepping out of character for a bit to be polite in those few instances.

Great advice here ^
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

BubbleWright

Gruffly... "Welllll, alright, you can take my portrait... BUT I'm not gonna smile!".  >:( >:( >:(
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery