Faire Garb > Garbing

Help with maternity garb

(1/3) > >>

SabrinaJ89:
I'm planning on going to my local Ren Faire this year but I will 37 weeks at the point. I have an outfit from last year but I have feeling that an underbust bodice just won't do! If anyone has any advice on what to wear it would be greatly appriciated!

LadyFae:
Been there, done that! :) With my second daughter I wore a noble gown that was too large but I took in the back so that it fit nicely over my belly. With my third daughter I wore fairy garb- I had a strapless, empire waist, short dress and I fairy-ized it. Also, I made "maternity" garb that I loosely based on the "Welcome gown" worn by Angelica Houston in Everafter. I had a long chemise and my gown closed near the empire waist with one button. Now I wear that gown over my other garb- like a surcoat.  All of my maternity wear was super comfy. I'll try to post pics tomorrow when I'm on my computer and not my phone.
Options to use why you currently have- a skirt pulled up over the belly and your bodice loosely laced. How are you carrying- high, low, mid? That'll make a difference, too, in your options for your current garb.

isabelladangelo:
Do you want to go noble or peasant?   For the nobles, they wore what looks like a front opening gown to us but with a stomacher in the front so they could lace loosely over the stomach area but tightly across the breast.  (ie, keep everything wear it should be!)

For the peasants, they seem to have simply covered up the lack of lacing across the stomach with an apron.

You may want to go with an Italian style gown - the waistline is high on both the early and late 16th Century styles.   This will allow you to wear the gown even after the little darling can be put in garb too!  ;-)

SabrinaJ89:
Well I think I'm going more peasant, I'm still fairly new to the whole Ren Faire thing, I went several times last year and have a costume. I have an underbust bodice that's reversible one sides a cream color the others black, a white skirt and light blue over skirt and then a blue top for underneath the bodice. I'm still early so I'm not sure how high/low I will be carrying. My boyfriend is planning on working there this summer and he has more of a peasant outfit I'm going to try and match him so noble is probably not an option. I'd like to be able to use some of the pieces I still have but I'm not opposed to buying/making something new either.

isabelladangelo:
This style would probably work for you.  It's easy to accessorize.  You can always add tie on sleeves or wear a lovely cloak if it gets cold.  Also, it's good even after pregnancy. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version