News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Knighting Ceremony

Started by Orphena, April 26, 2013, 02:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

Good Morrow, good knights!

I am hoping to lean on your expertise and gather some advice. I will be portraying Queen Bess at a new ren faire, and as part of my day, have been asked to perform a knighting ceremony. Although I have done some preliminary research, I felt that you might have the best answers for me.

As I am knighting children, I am looking for appropriate things to say, the proper way to act and address a knight. I am looking for something that children will understand, something that will make an impact, and be memorable, without offending a diverse audience.

While I need something appropriate for children, I may also want something for a more mature applicant.

Also... I don't want to steal glory from "actual" knights - I want the children to feel special, but I also want them to see the knights (jousters, in this case) as heroes, not equals.

Your thoughts, advice,  suggestions, and anything to build my confidence in this matter is very much appreciated!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

M'Lady,

There are many a book out there that cover knighting ceremonies for children, an example being "Raising a Modern Day Knight" that cover such.

I would also recommend you seek out Her Majesty Christine on the following site who does knighting ceremonies for children on a near regular basis. (Tell her I sent you)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chivalry-for-Children/92264526756

I don't think they'll feel equals of the Festival knights as they still lack many of the accoutrements that they visually associate with the knights of the event.

Good luck and thanks for thinking of the children in your events, I recognise them at our General Chapter gatherings and they always enjoy it.

Pax vobiscum.  :)

Orphena

Monsignor de Beaumanoir, I thank you for your gracious advice - I would not have found that book were it not for you! I have reserved it at my local library!

One other query, if I may....

Is "Sir Knight" or "Dame Knight" an appropriate mode of address from a Queen to a knight? What other options are there?

My deepest thanks!

*Curtseys*
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

I would think "Sir" or "Dame" would be the extent of each. This is the secular dribble  ;) :P, that we of the Military Orders have gotten away from with our titles of Brother or Sister.

Glad to have been of service.

VIII

Here at Scarborough, we make them 'Ladies of Court' and 'Knights of the Realm'
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Aderin

Quote from: VIII on June 11, 2013, 08:22:05 PM
Here at Scarborough, we make them 'Ladies of Court' and 'Knights of the Realm'

:) I like this!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

litkar77

I have been looking for this service and I found this one  http://yeoldrenaissanceshop.com/renaissance/clothing/  I am not sure about the quality or the origin of their offering. Has anyone have looked into this before? If you have any other options you know are worth the time to check out, please post them here. Thanks0

BLAKDUKE

having performed at Tennessee and gulf coast.  I have done many a knighting. Tell the subject to take a knee.  Take your sword and tap him/her on each shoulder and say "for courage, bravery, and noble3n deeds done done in the service  of your monarch I dub thee knight/dame of the realm.  Stand and be recognized   hip hip huzzah 3  times.

KING ALLYN THE ONLY/   AKA   THE BLAKDUKE
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel