News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'Reign'-CW series on Mary QOS

Started by Rowan MacD, May 16, 2013, 04:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

(moved from another thread) 

The description sounds like another 'Tudors';  if you liked that you may want to keep an eye out for this series.
   If you're looking for HA-this doesn't sound like it.
   It's being marketed as a' teen sex drama' (whatever that is).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_%282013_TV_series%29

Edit: just looked at a publicity still from from the series- Mary is played by brown eyed, brunette Australian Adelaide Kane. I'm pretty sure Mary was a blond and had a french accent.
   The costume on Adelaide looks like something from the 1920's, at least the bodice does.  The young men are wearing Tudoresque doublets.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

DonaCatalina

Teen Sex Drama.... Salva nos Deus.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 17, 2013, 04:44:21 AM
Teen Sex Drama.... Salva nos Deus.
Agreed.  The statement above was from their pre-production site, and frankly, it's a good description. 
I doubt they will call it that once it's on the air.

This is from the people who brought us 'The Vampire Diaries' for TV.
IWG wench #3139 

The Lady Mercedes

Hmmm, not sure I'm looking forward to that, but it's Rennie related, so you can bet I'll be watching...I just hope they give it a chance to get going and don't yank it off the air after one episode!
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Rowan MacD

Update from Sapphire and Sage FB page...
S&S will be supplying feather fans for the Reign series!  I was hoping she would do the Jewelry, but those are typically rented from a prop business....
IWG wench #3139 

Rowan MacD

Reign premiered last night-I watched it of course.  I would love to hear from anybody else who tuned into CW last night!

My observations: 
Pros: Gorgeous scenery.   Interesting ly enough, one of the featured characters is none other than Diane de Poitiers (!) played by Anna Walton (elven princess Nuala form Hellboy II) who is generally ignored by historians, but who was a big influence on the King of France at this time.  The most interesting part of this series so far is the obvious maneuverings for power between her and Catherine De Medici.  She is delightfully manipulative-best quote-"How am I to control a girl who is Queen in her own right?"....In real life Diane would not have concerned herself with Mary-she was the kings' mistress.   
   The Queen herself is conspiring with Nostradamus to poison Mary, and also tried to set up an attempted rape to compromise her,  to get Francis out of the Betrothal contract.
Castles, gardens, dogs and horses, and couple of the male actors are to die for. Torrance Coombs (who plays Diane De Poiters fictional son Bash) was also a Tudors veteran-He played the Ill fated Culpepper; lover of Catherine Howard.

Cons: Sadly-The Tudors was probably (way) more HA.  All the females whether in private or at a ball-wore their hair down, and never wore more than a headband.  No hats at all. Most of the dresses completely exposed arms and no one wore a chemise that I could detect.   There were few costumes that even looked remotely HA, and the jewelry looked suspiciously Victorian. 
  Hate the music-which is 95% modern rock.  WTF?

IWG wench #3139 

The Lady Mercedes

Just saw it: While I knew they were going to take licence with things, what Rowan said is correct & set my teeth on edge so bad lol...there's taking liberties, and there's just plain making you know what up. I really want to like it, but right now I'm not very happy. >:(
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Rowan MacD

I will sit though a lot of BS to see anything remotely historical, but seriously the music in this series is a deal breaker for me.   I cannot stand rock music as back ground for a period piece.
  It reminds be of that nasty 2006 Marie Antoinette movie (ick) starring Kirsten Dunst...exactly the same horrible idea to incorporate modern tunes into a period piece.  That movie at least had decent costumes. 
IWG wench #3139 

LissaRoisin

I enjoyed Tudors. I was ready to change the channel 15 minutes into Reign.
The dresses looked more like modern day prom dresses!
IWG #3491
IFRP #1486
Loveland Castleteer
Captain of the Wenches Desire

Rowan MacD

There a LOT of comments/complaints on the Reign FB page about the prom dresses-as-gowns.  We won't get in to the Stiletto heels and slingbacks as foot wear.
   Seriously none of the gowns look remotely period, and the capes look like Von Lancelot.  Some of the behind the scenes clips actually shows the costume mistress bragging about how she found these dresses in a vintage shop.   
   Who are they hiring to fill these jobs?   They have to have contacts somewhere who got them into the positions,  because they are totally incompetent.    I seriously don't think this show will last a whole season.
   I will try to make it through another episode tonight.  I had to take a couple of breaks last week,  I could only stand the music for 5 minutes at a time.   
IWG wench #3139 

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Do you really think this show is trying to be historical - it is just the typical drama crap that is made for TV nowadays :) - it is on the CK or CW or whatever it is.

Actually the music is probably one of the best parts!! ( I see it is done by Trevor Morris)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

DonaCatalina

You Know- Mary Queen of Scots real story was more dramatic than almost anything Hollywood could make up.
I don't understand the logic of coming up with a fantasy storyline and calling it after a historical character.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: DonaCatalina on October 25, 2013, 05:17:41 AM
You Know- Mary Queen of Scots real story was more dramatic than almost anything Hollywood could make up.
I don't understand the logic of coming up with a fantasy storyline and calling it after a historical character.

It sells  ;)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Rowan MacD

True-It sells :P
  Dona-We need a thumbs up button here.  I love Mary QOS.   I actually think Reign took on her life at the French Court due to the fact that there is little actual documentation of her time there, since she was just a child barely into her teens when she was widowed.
  All the good stuff happened after she went back to Scotland.

Gauwyn-Don't get me wrong-I like the music itself, just not in this context; hubby is also a fan of a few of the bands; last week he was naming each singer and the album the song is on. 
    We probably wont' see another episode anyway.  As of last night- CW moved it behind the Vampire Diaries-so the new time slot is 10:30-11:30 CST -on a school/work night (Reign FB page is still listing the showtime as 8 pm cent). 
   Needless to say-I was in bed right about the time it was due to start, since I'm up at 5am. Anyone else watch it?

IWG wench #3139 

groomporter

I swear some of the gowns could pass for modern prom dresses.

I'm mainly watching it to see if the 16th century French playing cards they bought from me as props actually make it on screen http://historicgames.com/RPcards.html
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?