News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photography Advice and Tips Thread.

Started by renfairephotog, July 06, 2008, 05:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock

The Olympus Stylus 9000 looks like it's a very good camera, with a Macro mode able to focus down to 0.4". 

Of course, if your camera lens is only 0.4" from the object you're shooting, the camera will be blocking most of the ambient light - and the flash at that distance will cause a bright over-exposure on one side of the the object. 

So, buying or building a light-box that gives controllable diffused light from all around will allow you to turn off the flash and get close-up shots of the small objects.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

KNIGHTNLADY69

I LOVE the Macro setting!  It has helped considerably, although I can see that I am going to need a light-box.

I do love this camera. :)  It has a lot of features for a camera that is so small in size.  It's still trial and error until I get used to it. 

Thanks for all the help!
~Live by the Sun, Love by the Moon~
Sir William and Lady Julie Ann (aka Mistress Lillith)
...and Woody Square

dbaldock

Quote from: KNIGHTNLADY69 on July 27, 2009, 12:56:09 PM
I LOVE the Macro setting!  It has helped considerably, although I can see that I am going to need a light-box.

I do love this camera. :)  It has a lot of features for a camera that is so small in size.  It's still trial and error until I get used to it. 

Thanks for all the help!

You're Welcome!

I know what you mean about the learning curve with digital cameras --- even though I've had a Samsung L55W Digital Point-N-Shoot for several years, I just got a Nikon D90 DSLR last month.  The D90 has a really large number of tweakable parameters ... most of which I haven't even fooled with yet.   ;)

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

renfairephotog

Try the Macro settings with a tripod.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

DeadBishop

R/F.com member since 2003

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

I had a dog tag made for my camera in case it ever gets lost. The back has contact info. make sure you differentiate from home and cell phone for when you travel.

Fairy photographer

dbaldock

OK, Here's a couple of questions about Diffusers / Softboxes:

The equipment I've got:  a Nikon D90 DSLR, a Nikon SB-600 Flash, a Stroboframe Pro-Digital Folding Flip Bracket, and a couple of Nikon Lenses - 10mm-24mm and 18mm-200mm.

If you're shooting the 10mm-24mm Lens at 10mm on the D90 camera (15mm equivalent - 109 Degree Field of View) to get a crowd shot, what sort of Diffuser / Softbox would you use on the Nikon SB-600 Flash?  (You may, or may not, have a low ceiling to bounce the flash.)

And, if you're shooting in its Medium-Telephoto range with the 18mm-200mm Lens for portraits, what sort of Diffuser / Softbox would you use on the Nikon SB-600 Flash?  (You may, or may not, have a low ceiling to bounce the flash.)

NOTE: I'm NOT planning to be shooting Weddings.  The Portrait shooting deal is a co-worker has asked me to take pictures of their child's High School Graduation next Spring.

Take Care,
David Baldock

DeadBishop

David, one of the best flash diffusers I've found for universal shooting is the Gary Fong Lightsphere.  Even light dispersal is difficult at really wide angles unless you have supplemental lighting to help, but this diffuser works really well at lighting up wide shots.  It works equally well with or without a low ceiling for bounce flash.  Check out the website to get an idea of what it's capable of.

SleepyArcher

DB: Do you happen to have any of Mr Fong's video's?
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

DeadBishop

SleepyArcher

dbaldock

Quote from: Deadbishop on November 07, 2009, 01:46:46 AM
David, one of the best flash diffusers I've found for universal shooting is the Gary Fong Lightsphere.  Even light dispersal is difficult at really wide angles unless you have supplemental lighting to help, but this diffuser works really well at lighting up wide shots.  It works equally well with or without a low ceiling for bounce flash.  Check out the website to get an idea of what it's capable of.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Do you have, and use, any of the Gary Fong diffusers?  How much faster do your batteries run down when shooting with one?

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on ordering one because of --- 1) Size - 5" diameter x 5" tall is BIG for my camera bag ; --- 2) Cost - they're at least $40, and there are several other brands at around $20 ; --- 3) I'm wondering if I should get one of the smaller 180° diffusers to use when bouncing off the ceiling, and something like a LumiQuest Softbox for shooting "direct", without bouncing?

Take Care,
David Baldock

SleepyArcher

Hey DB:
Which light kit do you recommend from Ritz. I found 4 of them there today.