West > Arizona Renaissance Festival

FOP's in Arizona

(1/2) > >>

SleepyArcher:
Lord Fondlebottom is trying to plan a trip out to Arizona. Has there or are there FOPs out there? Will he be the only one? Plans are coming together for March 8-9. Hopefully as time gets nearer plans will be solidified. Cheap airline tickets right now.

Amara Deegan:
I am sorry if this is an obvious question, but what is an FOP?

Gauwyn of Bracknell:
I have only visited Arizona a few times and never saw any.  But you two would be a great addition to their faire.

SleepyArcher:
Amara:The word "fop" is first recorded in 1440, and for several centuries just meant a fool of any kind; the OED notes first use with the meaning of "one who is foolishly attentive to and vain of his appearance, dress, or manners; a dandy, an exquisite" in 1672.[1] An early example of the usage is in the restoration drama "The Soldier's Fortune", in which a woman dismisses a potential suitor by saying "Go, you are a fop.

and

Fop became a pejorative term for a foolish man overly concerned with his appearance and clothes in 17th century England. Some of the very many similar alternative terms are: "coxcomb", fribble, "popinjay" (meaning "parrot"), fashion-monger, and "ninny". "Macaroni" was another term, of the 18th century, more specifically concerned with fashion.
A modern-day fop may also be a reference to a foolish person who is overly concerned about his clothing and incapable of engaging in intellectual conversations, activities or thoughts.

Amara Deegan:
I am aware of those meanings for the word "fop". I was wondeting if "FOP" was an acronym or abbreviation for something else since I have not seen it all capitolized before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version