News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

dirty face make-up

Started by Jade, November 26, 2013, 07:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade

I'm  having a pirate themed murder mystery party  in a couple of weeks,  and I'd like my character to have a dirty,  unwashed face going on.  Any suggestions that work well  and last several hours without having  carcinogens?

isabelladangelo

As long as you don't eat it, many things will work.  A bit of charcoal on your face is always good.  Mix it with petroleum jelly to get it to stick for a while.  (This is how they achieved the "smokey" eyes in the 1920's before mascara)  However, you can also go with a foundation that is a couple of shades darker than your natural coloring.  That and some brown/bronze eyeshadow work well for highlights/shadows. 

Gwyndolyn

This is actually something I am knowledgeable about, my suggestion is Ben Nye Character Powders, they have been used for years in theater, come in several colors and any costume place should have it in stock or anywhere that does theater supply.  I would never suggest petroleum anything on the body or face as it can and will clog the pores of the skin and cause breakouts/blackheads/milia.

isabelladangelo

To clear break outs (and to clean off any make up); use normal white toothpaste.  Colgate seems to work best but any toothpaste (non gel) will help to open the pores again and clean out all the dirt.  It will sting & be careful around the eyes.  Just rub it on your face like a mask, wait a minute, and wash it off. 

Jade

Unfortunately I have skin that still likes to break out.  Usually  one or two  once a month.  I don't want to add  tothat so close to the holidays as it's the one time of year I get lots of pictures of me.  I've done the toothpaste before,  and I have clinical stuff,  but rather not have to worry about  it.  It's  hard enough as stressful as the season is.   I'll check out the Ben Nye. I  might augment it with some charcoal,  but won't use the jelly.  Add long as it lasts the first half hour of the party I'll be satisfied.  I'll make the impact while they're sober.   Thanks for the advice!

Rowan MacD

I was thinking a 'Hobo' makeup kit if you can't find anything else.  Some craft stores have makeup sections.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

captmarga

Brown mud mask - Helene's, I believe, from Dollar General.  We use the green mud mask all the time in makeups. 

Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc