News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ros Fisher, scottish mead maker

Started by Nidhoggr, January 26, 2014, 02:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nidhoggr

I am going semi-realistic with my history here.  My family immigrated from Europe in the early 1900's and when we came over from Germany and the eastern block we were originally "Fisher" and "Fischell" and it was changed on arrival.  Doing some research I discovered that the Fishers in europe became Fisher and Fischell after immigrating from Scotland many years before.  My family is apparently way-way-way back a sept of the Campbell clan.  The character I am going for is based on this and could use some help creating it.

What I do know is

• Our faire is 1300's Scotland during the reign of Robert the Bruce
  • I will be wearing the Clan Campbell tartan
  • I do actually make mead, so I know a lot about it

What I don't know is

• What would be a good place to be from?
  • Would Fisher work as a name or would I be better suited with one of the names that became Fisher from a traditional Gaelic name?

DonaCatalina

The Campbells historically held sway around the area from the First of Islay to Loch Awe
Most of the spelling was done in the Renaissance and Medieval eras by church trained people. So the written form would have been Latinized or Anglicized; but the people would have gone on using the Gaelic pronunciation.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Nidhoggr

Thank you for the assistance! According to that map they controlled Tiree as well so I may go with that as it's a place I'm somewhat familiar with.

So it looks like I might be going as Meadmaker Ros of the family Fisher,  Sept of Clan Campbell, From the Isle of Tiree.

HennyPenny

Quote from: Nidhoggr on January 26, 2014, 02:05:41 AM
I am going semi-realistic with my history here.  My family immigrated from Europe in the early 1900's and when we came over from Germany and the eastern block we were originally "Fisher" and "Fischell" and it was changed on arrival. 

Out of pure curiosity, what was it changed to, may I ask?

Nidhoggr

This is all based on what I have researched and been able to trace and from what I have been told by my parents.  It went weird, truth be told.  From what I have found:  From Scotland when the Fisher's moved they went to Germany and Prussia.  I have roots in both places that we have very well researched in my family back to the late 1700's, which is where I gathered from our location and history of the Fisher clan and where they migrated to this is where we came from way way back.  I haven't been able to trace much further back than the 1790's, but it's pointing to that this is the case.  After a long while it changed to "Fischel" with some variations I have seen in my Eastern Europe/German lineage as "Fischer", which is a vary common spelling for the German area of the Fisher sept.   

Then when we came to the U.S, for some reason Fisher and Fischel were changed to Epstein.  No clue why, but that's the name of the game I suppose. 

Granted the Scottish links are semi-circumstantial evidence, but it's close enough for me to feel comfortable saying there's a big possibility and that I can wear the Campbell tartan.   The names, places, where the Fishers immigrated to, and varied spellings that match up are why I feel this way.

Interesting side note: One of my great-great-great-great grandfathers had an absolutely AWESOME name: Vulf Kuptris.