News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

General garb critique/advice

Started by ledtampa, February 12, 2014, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I like the fact that no matter what the price keeps going up :) (in the video)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

ledtampa

thank you so much gina, and while it looks great...it's too expensive for me to buy right now. something like that, i may be able to buy at the faire when i have money, but unless it's 30 dollars or cheaper, i simply can't get it right now.

Tink

I didn't really mean a carte blanche "do what you feel", I was speaking of this particular outfit, in this particular thread.  But since you mentioned it, I really dislike the POWM type sites.  I think they are mean and nasty, and people need to stop tearing each other down for sport and entertainment.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Hoowil

You know what? If you are not staff or a volunteer at the faire (in which case there would be regulations on what you can wear), who cares? I've been going to faire for over half of my life, and have worked as a volunteer at a number of them. I've had different groups at different faires try to recruit my family to join because we show up in garb and have fun. And at the same time, I've had snarky comments from people at those very same faires, on the same day, in the same garb. If you are going as a paytron, nobody affiliated with the fair should comment, or do anything except make sure you enjoy the day. Yes, there are some playtrons who can get a bit judgemental, but remember, we all started with what we could throw together. I say do what feels right to you, that you can manage in the time and money available, and enjoy the faire. If you remember the magic of faires, and want to keep dressing, then work peice by peice, as time and finances allow to slowly build up your garb. I don't know anyone who ever has their garb completely finished, it always evolves as tastes and experiences change, and the oppertunity to expand on what you have comes along.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

arbcoind

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Tink on February 13, 2014, 10:30:16 PM
... I really dislike the POWM type sites.  I think they are mean and nasty, and people need to stop tearing each other down for sport and entertainment.
I don't like them either, which is why I don't know where to find them...A friend of mine who plays a fairy was featured on POWM (she stopped for allergy meds on the way to faire) but we all got a good laugh..... at the expense of the poster.
   The comments were overwhelmingly positive and complementary.  She looked lovely and ethereal, and everybody was questioning why she was put on the site.  Within a week the pic was taken off.

To some people, anything different is scary.
  If it's scary, it makes them uncomfortable; and if if makes them uncomfortable, it must be attacked and criticized to help them validate their feelings.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Rowen MacD on February 14, 2014, 08:31:42 AM

To some people, anything different is scary.
  If it's scary, it makes them uncomfortable; and if if makes them uncomfortable, it must be attacked and criticized to help them validate their feelings.

And then there are people who desperately need to look in the mirror and ask "does this fit?" before going outside.   ;)  Like I said, most of the listserves are just critiques on keyword spamming - the ones I know of absolutely do not allow people to critque the person - just the outfit.  (Ie, you can say "Dressed to kill takes on a whole new meaning with his outfit.  Ouch!  My eyes are bleeding!" but not "What an idiot for dressing like that!") because most of the people understand that garbing and costuming is a learning experience.  Therefore, we have all been there and all done that -or know someone who has and has gotten better.   No one is above redemption.  :-)   

And, let's face it, the world would be a far, far better place is individuals did stop to pull up their trousers once in a while.

Side note:  Don't forget that people come back to re-read old threads.  I've seen countless times where someone a month or even a year later brings back a dead thread with a "me too!!!!" comment.  For every one of those, there are probably at least ten or more people re-reading old threads that don't comment in them.  This means when you say something generally like "do what you want!" others who are not the OP will interpret that as being able to wear their chainmail bikinis/banana slings to faire.   

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: isabelladangelo on February 12, 2014, 01:22:59 PM
A) I'd be weary about posting the picture you just did.  Kids do read this board.   

I would not worry to much about that.  Kids today have seen much more just going to the beach or a night at the local movie theater.

My only comment would be depending on where you are, try and find a real sword or at least a wall hangar or fencing sword.

PS  I just noticed in yoru profile that you are in Tampa.  I am sure you can find something there.  Even here on the boards.  If not try E-bay.  I have seen fencing pieces out there for cheap. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: isabelladangelo on February 13, 2014, 04:31:13 AM
(Check out the video "Where is the Renaissance in the festival?" http://youtu.be/N0EDrtEBsA8)

T

Look, look! It's ME at 3:28!!!! (red bodice, red skirt, yellow overskirt), manning (woman-ning) the crossbow booth.

(off topic, I know the people who wrote and sang that song, and am good friends with one - she's our queen). I haven't been to NRF since 2012 (fairy mode).

ledtampa - I think what you have planned sounds fine. You aren't working the faire, so as long as you are covered, comfortable, and like what you are wearing, go and have fun.

Some people like HA, and some people just want to be comfortable, look awesome, and have fun. :) I find that, depending on why I am going to a faire, my goals change with time and seasons.

Go and have fun!

ledtampa

i feel like i have to apologize, i seem to have started some kind of minor rucus over this...XD

Rosalind, congratulations in finding yourself in the video! it's always a wonderful feeling, realizing you have made an imprint on the world wide web! were you wearing a quiver?

and Blakduke, thank you for the suggestion, though the only swords i'd be intrested in having in my home would be katanas. so i have no desire at all to get a real sword for the renaissance, because i'd have to store it somewhere in my house and it'd feel like a waste. so i'll stick with the prop, which is exactly that and what i need. a prop!

isabelladangelo

Lol!   It is absolutely NOT your fault at all ledtampa.  Do not feel the slightest hint of need to apologize.   As you stay around the boards, you'll see this happens about every three months or so.   ;)

BLAKDUKE

Not to beat a dead horse,  but  no pirat ever carried a Katana ?'  With thatI will sign out of this thread.  Have fun and good luck
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

isabelladangelo

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on February 15, 2014, 04:26:33 PM
Not to beat a dead horse,  but  no pirat ever carried a Katana ?'  With thatI will sign out of this thread.  Have fun and good luck

Ching Shih might have.  She was the pirate queen in the early 19th Century.   I'm sure she at least uh...acquired?  a few.   ;D

ledtampa

not saying that i would carry a katana around...i'm just saying if i ever bought a real steel sword, it would be a katana. not a rapier or whatever...

anyway, what i AM carrying is a..? i dunno what it's called, but here's a picture of my sword. i think it's quite nice!

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: ledtampa on February 15, 2014, 10:26:07 AM
i feel like i have to apologize, i seem to have started some kind of minor rucus over this...XD

Rosalind, congratulations in finding yourself in the video! it's always a wonderful feeling, realizing you have made an imprint on the world wide web! were you wearing a quiver?

No quivver - just tucked a few bolts in my sash to have them handy while hawking the booth. We did great that year. This was shot many eons ago, before I joined our royal court. Still one of my favorite costumes, but it doesn't fit anymore ( :( ).