News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My new Scale Maille Armor

Started by robert of armstrong, July 18, 2008, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert of armstrong

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on October 05, 2008, 09:37:59 PM
How easy is it to get into?  And how easy is it to get the plate on over the top?

Getting ready in a Faire's parking lot can be fun.  I haven't been to a Faire in armor without my buddy, Brent.  He gives me a hand a the end.  I should take a video of it sometime, it would be pretty funny.

First, you can't really see them in the photo, but I am also wearing a full set of leather gothic legs which includes sabatons (feet covers), greaves (shins), poleyns (knees) and cuisse (thighs).  All that gets strapped on first, from bottom to top.

Then, I put the scale hauberk, front side down on the floor of the cargo area of my Jeep Liberty (it has to be around laying thigh to waist high to be easier).  Crouching, I slide my arms inside and into the arms, keeping my hands in fists, thumbs in, to keep from having a fingernail ripped off (trust me on this).  Then I stand up, holding the hauberk in front of me, and using my legs and arms, kind of throw the body of the hauberk up and over my head while ducking, putting my arms straight up and hopefully sliding my head all the way through the neck hole before in stops falling.

After that, the belt goes on, with whatever weapons hangers/sheaths, pouches, straps, etc. I am wearing that day.  Then the breast/backplate/pauldrons combo goes on over the head.  At this point, doing up the straps on the sides (at my ribs) and on my arms at the bottom of the pauldrons is very difficult, and I need help.  Last of the leather is the pair of bracers, which I also need help with.  Last to go on is a chain maille coif, which I pull back off my head to act like a gorget or mantle and to keep the leather from rubbing my neck.

Flexibility is more of an issue with scale than chain, the scales will only fold and collapse on themselves so much.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Ranna

But isn't it all worth it in the end? ;)
"The lasses have got to respect a man who can blow, finger and squeeze all at the same time." - Anonymous bagpipe player

robert of armstrong

Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.