News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Outlander movie rumors again

Started by GypsyWriter, March 24, 2009, 07:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GypsyWriter

With my current Twilight obsession, I somehow missed the movie buzz back in Oct/Nov surrounding Diana Gablaldon's Outlander.

Can it be true?  According to articles posted last fall on websites Variety and Movieweb, a company called Essential Pictures has bought the rights and has even secured Randall Wallace (Braveheart) to write the script.

It seems too much to hope for!

But, then again, the rumors I read also mentioned Gerard Butler and Kiera Knightly as candidates for the lead roles.  And while I think they are both fine actors, they are decidedly NOT Jamie and Claire.

Has anyone else heard anything more about this project?
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette

Melissandra

I haven't heard anything, but wouldn't it be nice if this is true!! 

Athena

Kiera Knightly as Claire?? Ugh. No offense, I like Ms. Knightly, but I picture Claire as a WOMAN, (an earthy one at that) not an underfed glamour girl.

I usually don't get all anal about movies based on books, but I love these novels so much that I'm probably going to be one of those people who whine about the celluloid version. I'm not completely opposed to an Outlander movie, but to be honest, I won't pout if one is never made
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Sonata

I always thought Emma Thompson could portray Claire well, with Christian Bale as young Jamie in the first books and Liam Neeson playing the role from Voyager onward. Jeremy Irons would be my favorite pick for Frank/Jack.

A friend at work and I have discussed casting possibilities endlessly - she's the one who turned me on to the series, now I'm trying to return the favor by dragging her to faire  ;D
Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape. Terry Pratchett

GypsyWriter

Sonata, I LOVE your suggestion of Jeremy Irons for Frank/Jack!  Oooohh, shivers down my spine...

Someone in one of the clips I read suggested Gerard Butler as Dougal McKenzie...I rather like that idea!  In the first book Dougal has that appealing combination of wicked and sexy, though he was still good at heart.  (Thinking of the scene at the gathering, when he was drunk and stole a kiss from Claire...sigh.)

As for the casting of Jamie and Claire, it would almost have to be unknowns for both of them, to really bring the characters to life.  I definitely agree with Athena's comment--Claire needs to be an earthy, full grown woman, not a waify girl.

Maybe Kiera Knightly could portray Laoghaire, ha ha! 
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette

Ambios

Quote from: Athena on March 24, 2009, 09:15:05 PM
Kiera Knightly as Claire?? Ugh. No offense, I like Ms. Knightly, but I picture Claire as a WOMAN, (an earthy one at that) not an underfed glamour girl.

I usually don't get all anal about movies based on books, but I love these novels so much that I'm probably going to be one of those people who whine about the celluloid version. I'm not completely opposed to an Outlander movie, but to be honest, I won't pout if one is never made

Agree with you on all counts, Athena.  Lady Maud and I loved the series...and given what's happened to some other "favorite books to movies" situations we've seen over the years (Avalon, the Earth/Sea trilogy, Eragon)  I agree that I'd wouldn't be to upset if it doesn't come to fruition.
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214
God Save My Sis...(oops) The Queen

Sonata

Quote from: GypsyWriter on March 25, 2009, 11:19:54 AM

Sonata, I LOVE your suggestion of Jeremy Irons for Frank/Jack!  Oooohh, shivers down my spine...

Thanks, my friend at work had the same reaction. That was a proud moment, let me tell you!  ;D

I have to agree with you about casting unknowns for the two leads, though. I just hate to think of Jamie ruined by another Hayden Christiansen (sincere apologies to his fans, but I truly and deeply disliked his portrayal of Anakin Skywalker *shudder*)
Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape. Terry Pratchett

Lady Renee Buchanan

I don't watch TV or go to movies, so I don't know who Gerard Butler is or what he's been in, but I just looked him up and No! No! No!   Definitely not a Jamie in my eyes.  Don't know of someone to play him, but not Gerard Butler.

And Claire?  I kind of like Kate Winslet.  She seems down to earth, not a skinny goddess, and of the movies I have seen (usually after they came out on DVD), I like her acting.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Athena

Renee, it's so funny, because Kate Winslet came to my mind as well. Granted, she looks nothing like my vision of Claire, but I think that's the one famous actress who can pull the character off. She's an extraordinary talent, someone who really brings the roles she takes on to life. She played mature, complex characters even when she was very young.

I agree with GypsyWriter that it's probably best if the leads in a potential movie version are unknowns. It would be nice if they are British and have acting chops, thank you. I also think that a two hour cinematic release won't work, and a mini series is the best chance of staying true to the spirit of the book.

I've always pictured Frank/BJR looking like Daniel Day Lewis, though I can certainly see Jeremy Irons playing that part. As for Lawhore Laoghaire? I see her as a cross between Scarlett Johansson and Nelly Olsen!  ;D

With all that being said, I still won't cry in my porridge if an Outlander movie is never made!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb