News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Mailman seeks comfort in kilt

Started by SirRichardBear, July 21, 2008, 12:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirRichardBear

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/07/21/mailman_seeks_comfort_in_kilt/

Dean Peterson has heard the snickering.

His 17-year-old son "keeps quiet" about his father's new obsession, and when his 15-year-old son proposed following in his dad's footsteps, the principal at the boy's school warned that other students might pick on him.

But the 6-foot-tall, 250-pound mail carrier from Lacey, Wash., doesn't worry about anyone questioning his virility, or ogling his bare knees. He just wants to feel as free as a woman wearing a skirt.

"A lot of people think I'm crazy," said Peterson, 48, who became a mail carrier after retiring from the Air Force eight years ago. "This is important to me - I just want to be comfortable. I just want the option."

As some 10,000 mail carriers gather in Boston this week for the 66th biennial convention of the National Association of Letter Carriers, Peterson is on a one-man mission to persuade his colleagues to approve a change in their strictly regulated uniforms. He has proposed a resolution to allow mailmen to wear kilts, which he calls a Male Unbifurcated Garment, or MUG.

Over the past few weeks, he says he has spent the $1,800 he received as part of the federal government's stimulus package to send about 1,000 letters and photographs of a mockup of the new uniform to postal union branches in every state, as well as Guam and Puerto Rico.

"MUGs are worn all over the world, and have been for thousands of years because they are comfortable," he wrote to fellow mailmen. "Unbifurcated Garments are far more comfortable and suitable to male anatomy than trousers or shorts, because they don't confine the legs or cramp the male genitals the way that trousers or shorts do."

He argued that pants can cause sweat rashes and added, "Please open your hearts - and inseams - for an option in mail carrier comfort!"

Peterson's efforts have already attracted support. During the spring, similar resolutions calling for mailmen to be allowed to don kilts passed at letter carrier conventions in Washington and Oregon. Women can wear skirts.

Paul Lunde, who promoted the resolution in Oregon and has worn kilts on St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, and occasional Saturdays when his supervisors aren't paying attention, said that expanding the uniform choices would be a way to express his Celtic heritage, just as Jewish postal workers are allowed to wear yarmulkes.

Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

brier patch charlie

My brother works for the U.S.P.O.  and has all ready ordered his kilt, he is number 5 on the list and should be getting it in the next couple of weeks. This was something for the carriers but it seems that some stations will let the windoe workers and others were this new uniform. But as of right now the P.O. will BUY the kilt for carriers, all others will have to buy there own, but as my brother told me, the union will change that. They are getting a grey/blue  mocker, from utility kilt. My brother has been rubbing it in my face for the past two weeks. But theres no way I would were mine to work, well not were I work as of now. Prison, is not a place to were a skirt!
Charles Coleman

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

theChuck

The Renlist - find faires near you!

Scotsman

Paul Harvey (or his stand in) spoke about it today on his National News brief ... it looks like it is going to be a go.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Tim T

Tim
aka Dark'n M'Crack of Clan M'Crack/Clan White

DeadBishop

Awesome.  I'd be a mail carrier just for that fact.   ;D

R/F.com member since 2003

Lord Figaro

It's a long time coming and about time. It just make more sense.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana