News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

which festival is most like TRF?

Started by BarbarianQueen, May 13, 2015, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbarianQueen

I would love to visit some other festivals around the country this summer, but was wondering which ones are the most like TRF.  After having been thrown out of Scarborough, lol, I wouldnt want to travel for days only to have that happen again!!
Maybe Bristol? Michigan RF? Minnesota RF?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Maybe if I knew why you got tossed and could recommend the ones you mentioned  :D
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Rowan MacD

Something in California? They have dozens, and are not known for prudishness.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on May 13, 2015, 12:44:12 PM
Maybe if I knew why you got tossed and could recommend the ones you mentioned  :D
They didn't like my barbarian costume.

Merlin the Elder

Sherwood, and it's not far from you. Early in the season it might be a little chilly...

I still don't understand you getting tossed from Scarby. I saw you that day, apparently right before you got tossed, and you looked fine to me...mighty fine, if I may be so bold.  I have seen, and still see, outfits there that are just as revealing, and with far less taste.

While it is true that Scarborough does strive for a more "family friendly" atmosphere than TRF, I've never considered them prudish.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I think as long as all the 'societal approved' parts are covered, MNRF should be fine. 

A few years back in Colorado we saw a kind of woven leather faerie costume that was quite revealing, but again all the part were covered.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 14, 2015, 06:09:45 AM
Sherwood, and it's not far from you. Early in the season it might be a little chilly...

I still don't understand you getting tossed from Scarby. I saw you that day, apparently right before you got tossed, and you looked fine to me...mighty fine, if I may be so bold.  I have seen, and still see, outfits there that are just as revealing, and with far less taste.

While it is true that Scarborough does strive for a more "family friendly" atmosphere than TRF, I've never considered them prudish.

I don't think it's your costume that bothers them-it's the body inside of it.  Consider it a compliment.
  I've seen the same (or skimpier) on less well endowed females,  and the self appointed PG police never batted an eye at them. 
   Never could figure out why someone with an A cup can trot around wearing little more than pasties, but anything over a C has to cover practically everything up.
   By the way-the same issues come up with men: Oddly enough-a barbarian, viking or a roman with a more or less flat codpiece is OK; but any suggestion of 'contour' (think Lounge Lizard with a roll of quarters in his pants) and all of a sudden we have an incident....All the while the royal court is prancing by with huge, decorated codpieces with beepers and bells.
IWG wench #3139 

dbaldock

If you had a Time Machine, and could go back to the late '90s, I'd recommend Hawkwood Medieval Fantasy Faire (north of Ft Worth, across from where the NASCAR track is now)...   :D

http://ryleh.freeservers.com/hwk1.htm
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Stolenhalo6

Based on what I see in your profile pic here, you'd probably be safe in MN. They certainly have paytrons who wear more revealing and less tasteful "clothing". I think Bristol would be a challenge. My brief experience is that they are much more family friendly and more historically accurrate than most.
Rachel in "real life"
Wench #3893
Careful, she bites.

BarbarianQueen

Thanks, all, for the information! We have friends in the Chicago area, that's why we were looking in the northern Midwest.
Too bad about Bristol!  My friends have heard of it, but have never attended even though it's about 35 miles from their home. So it's really traditional, eh? I have some more traditional renaissance garb I could go in, I guess. You get used to NOT being overly hot and encumbered, though! We also have friends in Colorado, and also Maryland. Those are two other areas that we have looked at.
Rowan, thank you for your kind words, and I agree with you. I made my costume after looking at the range of costumes at trf for several years, and didn't think it was going to stretch the scale, as it were.  I guess "F" not on the approved cup list...although I would say I've seen that and larger in some struggling and overflowing corsets :)
I'm ok with it, though, and understand. I'm not in it to "shock or dismay", just into to expressing my inner self. That's why I ask if there were any fairs other than trf we could go where I wouldn't "stand out".
So to speak...

Rowan MacD

Quote from: BarbarianQueen on May 19, 2015, 06:39:16 AM
Sir Rowan, thank you for your kind words, and I agree with you. I made my costume after looking at the range of costumes at trf for several years, and didn't think it was going to stretch the scale, as it were.  I guess "F" not on the approved cup list...although I would say I've seen that and larger in some struggling and overflowing corsets :)
I'm ok with it, though, and understand. I'm not in it to "shock or dismay", just into to expressing my inner self. That's why I ask if there were any fairs other than trf we could go where I wouldn't "stand out".
So to speak...
You should be fine in most venues; however,  there are a couple of the larger faires that are still maintaining a more family friendly environment, with nudity, foul language, and lewd behavior frowned upon.

TRF, from what I've seen in pictures and how it's been described to me; leans more toward 'Carnivale or Marde Gras' (anything goes) type of atmosphere;  than a period Renaissance faire.   This sounds like the kind of  adult orientated venue you are looking for, no problem with that; though I know some people who won't take their kids there anymore.

Google the faire name on Yahoo-and take a look at the amateur pictures out there posted online to get a feel for the 'real' dress code, as opposed to the impression the faire wants the public to get.   Some of the faires are a bit more permissive than they let on...
   My hubby is a traditionalist; myself, less so, but we prefer the 'classic' ren faire experience.
IWG wench #3139 

BarbarianQueen

Sorry!  Since there were two of you in your avatar, I mistakenly assumed "Rowan" to be a "sir"...my apologies!

Lady Renee Buchanan

Bristol is one of the more "restrained" faires we have been to.  If you wear what you wore to the TX ball, if Security didn't stop you while walking to the front gate, they sure wouldn't let you through.  Patrons can wear all crazy kinds of things, but any blatant nudity (and I am not saying you would do that) like chain mail bikinis without fabric underneath, or loin-cloth outfits for women without some kind of underwear underneath (i.e., no butt hanging out like in a thong) would also not get through the gate.

There are Barbarians at Bristol, but even the women are covered up to a degree that is more than what you'd wear on the beach.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rowan MacD

Quote from: BarbarianQueen on May 19, 2015, 11:03:58 PM
Sorry!  Since there were two of you in your avatar, I mistakenly assumed "Rowan" to be a "sir"...my apologies!
No apologies needed ^_^.    Hubby is not on this forum, only myself. 

Lady Renee gives excellent advice.
  With the exception of a few of the faires that are well known for encouraging an 'adult oriented' atmosphere; to avoid getting refused admission-I would err on the side of modesty (not too much) until you can get there and scope out the other Patrons. 

Those of us in the Wenches Guild can tell you:  You will find that many faires, even the conservative ones, will frequently overlook a lot of cleavage (also known as heavage) if you are wearing a skirt, or otherwise covering your lower half.   I have seen wenches here with at least a EE to an F cup in extremely low cut chemises/blouses and under bust corsets over bloomers with skirt hikes or just skirts. 
   Weird but true.  Part of the package=OK. The whole shebang=not OK.

Throw together a wench persona for fun and try that out; you should wow them.
Note: Bring a short shawl, and wear that through the gate; just in case.
IWG wench #3139