News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

newbie must sees?

Started by Jade, August 27, 2014, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade

I'm going here opening weekend. I've never been to kcrf, only the Michigan ones, and I'm taking four other people with me, three that have never been to a ren faire in their life. Any suggestions on what we should definitely make it to?

Aniroaldawen

The Jolly Rogers. One of the best renfaire acts in the Midwest. They're bawdy, hilarious and make awesome music. (And while I can't say we're the best or a must see, while you're at their stage, stop by and see my new, first-year-performing band, Bubble & Squeak, just a few feet from the Rogers' stage! :) )

Craigmeister

Check out Ezndil.  They're a married couple who sing Celtic music and are great w/ kids in the audience.  Very good people.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

HunterRose13

Since Musical Blades is not there (again) this year I'll be checking out the Jolly Rogers to get my pirate fix.

Tricks of the Light fire show is really good.  You have to see the Washer Well Wenches, be sure to get there early and sit front and center.  Evengard Improv should be there and they have a very good comedy improv act.

We will be there Sunday and Monday.  We gave up trying to cram the whole faire into a day.  One day will be shows watching and the other day shopping.

Jade

Definitely going to Jolly Rogers, I have some of their cds and love them.  Can't wait to see how the kcrf washing wenches differ from mirf.
Thanks for the other suggestions too. I'd love to go for two days, but  just be Sunday this time. I'm going to soak in as much as I can. Any suggestions for good bodices sold at faire? I'm thinking about getting another one.

HunterRose13

Quote from: Jade on August 28, 2014, 04:25:39 PM
Definitely going to Jolly Rogers, I have some of their cds and love them.  Can't wait to see how the kcrf washing wenches differ from mirf.
Thanks for the other suggestions too. I'd love to go for two days, but  just be Sunday this time. I'm going to soak in as much as I can. Any suggestions for good bodices sold at faire? I'm thinking about getting another one.

Bodices...Hearts Delight, go left from the faire entrance, close to the joust.  My wife is on her second one (she shrank out of the first).  They are reversible and hold up well.  The wife will be wearing her's Sunday if you need want a testimonial.If you want something in leather go to Crimson Chain.  For leather goods I can't make myself I go to them.  The wife will be wearing her's Sunday if you need want a testimonial.

You will get in plenty of walking.  Everything is either up hill or down hill.  Try to dissect an area before moving on.  I usually end up ran ragged going back to shops at the last minute.  Going two days will let me scout one day and shop the next.

Tamtaro

Oh my gosh, so much fun! There is a sweet little archery spot down by the Royal Glade. Shoot stuff! If they have Human Combat Chess this year, it's a fun show where see a lot of different characters.  I love the jugglers: Bob the Amazing & Jason Divad - both awesome fun shows.  You can have fun trying to juggle at The Complete Fool in the Wharf area. Lots of play! I love the music too but I'm terrible with their names - definitely seeing Bubble & Squeak though!  So much good stuff, it's hard to go wrong!

Jade

I did catch bubble and squeak, nicely done! Caught Jolly Rogers, fantastic of course. Ended up with a new bodice from Hearts delight. All in all, a very good trip.

HunterRose13

Jade, Sounds like you had a good day at the faire.

Two days is the way to go.  Sunday we saw Tricks of the Light, Washer Well Wenches, saw the Meguire Brothers in the lane and found they would be on stage Monday.  Closed the day out with Dr. Rev. Cheeks.  Did a little pre shopping.  Helped out with Bob the Jugglers show holding the rope and generally wandered around.  Stopped by Bubble and Squeak a few times over both days.

Monday was shopping day and taking in a few last shows.  Meguire (sp?) Brothers.....really good, Evengard Improv which we saw at White Heart (yes we were the 4 people that went to White Heart) was excellent.  A few passes through other shows and a good bit of shopping and collecting business cards for future purchases rounded out the day.

Shameless plug....stop by and vote for fairy house 103 on the adult side and 48 on the kids side if you don't already have your voted committed!

Tamtaro

Huzzah!  I'm glad the heat didn't stop the revelry!  My caravan hid in the shade a lot!  We caught an entire Bubble & Squeak performance from the sky chairs!  Was that a crumhorn??  You guys sounded awesome!  I'll come to your official audience this Saturday.  I don't want to jinx it, but the weather is looking delicious ;D  Speaking of delicious, my first crepe of the season was just that...and the second one too!  I was a Hobbit with my second breakfast, elevenses, afternoon tea...

Craigmeister

I couldn't find Ezndil on Saturday.  They're on the website but weren't at the Dunweddie Dell or on the program.  Maybe they don't play every weekend.  I still had a blast.  KCRF is rapidly becoming one of my faves!  The archery range in the back seemed very nice this year to someone walking up dressed as Robin Hood.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Cap'n Hunnar Graybeard

Ez-n-Dill are usually not there on opening weekend. I'm hoping they are there this weekend.
IPB Clan Chieftain - Clan Williams (Kansas)
Crew of The Bayou Scoundrel
Landshark #58

Butch

I didn't make it opening weekend.  Sigh.  I SHOULD be there THIS weekend!  I wanna catch the Human Combat Chess this year.  Wanna see the McGuire Brothers.  Wanna see Tinker.  Wanna see EzNDil.  Wanna see Bubble and Squeek.  Wanna see Christina and the St Ibirius Dancers (I've probably got the new name wrong).  Wanna see Gem.  Wanna see Tamtaro.  Wanna see the KC R/F crew.

SO MUCH I WANT TO SEE!

Cap'n Hunnar Graybeard

Geesh Butch, wanna wanna wanna.....  :D
IPB Clan Chieftain - Clan Williams (Kansas)
Crew of The Bayou Scoundrel
Landshark #58

Butch

I should be there Saturday.  I'll be wearing a kilt and a bright red Irish leine.  Gonna have my wife along, so prob won't stay much past the parade (prob only an hour or so past).  We WILL be at opening gate!

Craigmeister

Good to know about Ezndil.  I'll try to make it to KCRF later next year.  I usually go on the last weekend.  They might be bringing in a harvest on the first weekend.  They're farming when they aren't dazzling crowds.