News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

King Midas Masquerade Ball 2014 - report

Started by BarbarianQueen, October 13, 2014, 12:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strange

I appreciate the report, Barbarian Queen. Unfortunately, you experienced some of the things I was worried about when details of the venue started to emerge.
I had worked bars, clubs, and event management for 10 years before moving to TX, and offered my assistance to Dan and Terre last season, free of charge.
When they started talking about the size of the venue, I wondered how they would handle seating, as well as how they would manage the focus, since there was going to be a stage production. I have no doubt that the performers did well, and it is a shame that they might have been somewhat ignored.

I do hope the powers that be are able to adapt quickly to improve things. The Masquerade should be a flagship event, but right now it seems a bit directionless.

Be well.

S

Rowan MacD

BQ- Agreed, there needs to be a LOT more benches-those are concrete?  Pending being able to afford and aquire many more, the management will need to get creative to supply adequate guest seating.  wooden benches, folding chairs, etc.

For the expected attendance-they need transient seating for at least 100 in the main hall, to keep the paying customers comfortable.  Even assuming that about half the patrons will be standing at any time, there needs to be readily available seating for at least 200-300.; meaning the kind (like the wall benches) that are meant for short rest stops, not long term sit-there-all-night conversation groups.
   If they keep the bistro tables well away from the seating areas,  then folks won't be tempted to camp out like they do at nightclubs, and the bench turnover will be steady.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Zardoz

Glad to finally see a review, it's been strangely quiet. Based on photos of a mostly empty spaces I guess it was a little underwhelming.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Terre Albert

Thanks for the feedback, while I won't reply to all the comments I will give them to the right people.

One that I do need to correct was the one about the kid.  Actually she was 21 as I personally carded her.  Don't judge a book by its cover. 

Thanks again and hope we can live up to the hype!

For a few more reviews got to: https://www.facebook.com/TexRenFestMasqueradeBall?hc_location=timeline

Most people were very happy with the night but we will learn and change as needed. 

Terre Albert

Terre Albert

Additional Seating is being added to the main Ball Room this weekend. 

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: Zardoz on October 15, 2014, 01:42:34 PM
Glad to finally see a review, it's been strangely quiet. Based on photos of a mostly empty spaces I guess it was a little underwhelming.
zaubon, I wouldn't say "underwhelming". The venue was beautiful, the entertainment talented, the food good, and the crowd "respectable", if not huge.
I guess my expectations were just a bit different. I'm sure it will morph and adjust as they go, to better develop an identity.

I will say this - if it continues to be more of a "reception" feel, with lots of Rennie Playtrons more or les standing around and enjoying the company and the fellowship, it will be doomed to fail.
People will soon realize they can do this around their camps, on their OWN terms, and save the 154, 174, or $370 (!) and just plan an event around their camp.
For it to survive, I believe it will have to develop into something "other"... A magical and transporting experience that is very different from standing around at afire, or in the campground.

Good luck, TRF, I wish you the best!

BarbarianQueen

Hey Terre, thanks for chiming in on my thread!
Good to hear about the seats, that will be an easy addition and a welcome addition.

I hope you take my comments in the spirit in which they were offered - how to inform others and improve the experience!

I wish there was a way that TRF could give a little more advance encouragement and instruction for people to "go for it" and make it something special. Maybe -
- costume contest? Most beautiful or elaborate or fantastical costume gets free passes for a future ball?
- info about the story line online, so people can be a little fore-educated and engaged?
- a "ten ways to best enjoy the Ball" post somewhere on the trf website?
- some vehicle in which the cast can have an excuse to interact with the attendees on a constant basis? A script sub-plot or side story that encourages interaction?
- post photos of the more fantastical or elaborate costumes, so people may be more inclined to do something different ( feel free to use my posted photos! :) )

Anyway, I hope the rest of the year goes well!

LadyJessica

From the book of faces...Apparently the TABC didn't like the free happy hour last night and told TRF that they would have to charge for drinks. Terre is working on a solution and will try to have it corrected this week.  Just an FYI for those, like me, who are going next weekend.  I was going to bring cash anyway to tip the bartenders with...now I'll bring a bit extra just in case.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Zardoz

Oops ! there's some extra excitement for your money !
One would think a company that basically runs a 50 acre bar would have that sort of thing figured out.
IBRSC# 1619,

Rowan MacD

So they want the Ball to have the same rules as the faire?   I would think they would have stated that when they issued the permit.   ::)

I wonder if the local cops had an issue with one of the attendees?

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

LadyJessica

Direct from Facebook: Terre Albert - "Just left our meeting with TABC, issue resolved. Back to the best party in town."
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Rowen MacD on October 20, 2014, 10:07:20 AM
    So they want the Ball to have the same rules as the faire?   I would think they would have stated that when they issued the permit.   ::)

I wonder if the local cops had an issue with one of the attendees?

Down here in the Bible Belt, there are some rather odd practices. Arkansas also disallows "free" drinks. There are ways around it.  Arkansas has some dry counties, some wet, and I believe Texas is the same way. We even have some cities that are dry in certain areas, as is Dallas.  We used to have a restaurant that would have a happy hour with "twofers" and "threefers." The ABC stepped in and put a halt to that.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Zardoz

Texas booze law is 'challenging' , and indeed sometimes open to interpretation... So are the stories about this incident ????
But,  glad it's back under control, albeit just in time for no refusal weekend
IBRSC# 1619,

BarbarianQueen

The night we went, a lady had to be physically helped to some place where she could lay down (I'm assuming).  And this was about an hour into the ball :)

I think it was about 9:15 or so, maybe as late as 9:45 - we were coming out of the food tent, and she was headed in, with two gentlemen on either side. She was barely awake, and the men were basically dragging her feet towards the bathroom area.  Maybe there's a place to lie down there? a Medical tent? Or, maybe they just took her out the smoking area and dumped her in a ditch.

I always wonder - how does one get so drunk so fast? I've sat at a table at the Sea devil and downed an entire bottle of mead by myself over the course of an hour, and though I'm pretty "three sheets to the wind", i can talk, function, and walk about if need be. 

Just ignore my jokes, though, when in that state - despite the fact that I'm laughing my own butt off, they won't really be very funny...