News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gaelic Prince

Started by neuromancer, May 08, 2017, 12:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuromancer

Okay having problems with the gaelic language (I can do the accent fine)

Im an Irishman from Ireland (My practice sentence for Irish)

I do not know (I dinnae know) scottish practice sentence.

Need to work on my character cause I am a terrible ad libber, and have no idea what to say most of the time.

Family name is Dunlevy which I have traced back to the Princes of Ulaid but am confused about that pronuciation. I have a kilt and a tunic cuz I needed a costume.  And leggings are right out.Now that I look into it, I am not wearing a "long tunic"

So.. either I need trews, or need something else to explain my kilt. An explanation is cheaper than a costume change. But if I can make trews cheap thats cool too.I assume they are basically unshaped trousers. They look like panta loons that are thigh wrapped.

Also having trouble with the ad libbing I think I mentioned. Once I have my charecter down I can work on that aspect.

Just did a weekend renfaire locally.We were the only patrons in any attire. My daughter loved it, I had trouble talking to the players as I have no idea what my character is. Decided to pull my own history here to make it more believable.

Common or Lord? Would n't a lord speak to the common folk disdainfully? Good woman instead of My lady? Or good sir.. instead of My lord.

If I am a descendant of a prince of Ulaid, subjugated by the time of the ren. Would I still be angry?  Would I be okay with the non-English?

Jersey ren faire coming up in a couple weeks. Starts the season earlier than my usual PA renfaire. Woot woot! Glad I got a new job :)

scarletnyx

Husband and I made up characters to go with our outfits.. haven't used them once.

I Think having a loose idea in your head, and knowing to say certain things ( for us, it was the typical Arabic greeting of asalamalakim ) will be fine. From what I've seen the only people who really, truly need a character completely flushed out are cast. If you are on cast, I do believe most faires help with that?
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

neuromancer

Thanks.

No I am not a cast member.

I used to hang with the cast back in the early 90s and had no trouble back then. Now for some reason I am having lots of trouble participating. I just get tongue tied and figured having some kind of idea about what I was pretending to be would help.

I think I will just watch Knights of New Jersey again and hope for the best :)