News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Food... The grub we're dying for.

Started by Laird Fraser of Lovatt, July 26, 2015, 05:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

I recall this one evening after faire, several of us were sitting around the campfire, and all hell broke loose. To this day, that hotel won't let us stay there...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

There was this one time, in Faire Camp, when this person took a bagpipe and.... ;D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

LadyJessica

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on July 29, 2015, 06:30:03 AM
When I land grab, I usually do burgers, sausage & hot dogs, for dinner, on Thursday night.  What ever is left over the following morning gets chopped up and tossed into a skillet with eggs.  Add some cheese & tortillas or fried bread and you have a dawn fry to help with the hangover.   ;D

There are some people on R/F that can remember the "Year of the Fires" and the monsoonal, ice cold rains that rolled in Thursday night, AHE.  Ten of us standing under my canopy, grilling mushroom & Gouda cheese stuffed burgers & venison sausage, on a camp stove.  Nasty night but the food & company was fantastic.  ;)

That was a wonderful night...even if I did stay wet...from the rain...nearly all night.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: LadyJessica on July 29, 2015, 08:41:50 AM
Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on July 29, 2015, 06:30:03 AM
When I land grab, I usually do burgers, sausage & hot dogs, for dinner, on Thursday night.  What ever is left over the following morning gets chopped up and tossed into a skillet with eggs.  Add some cheese & tortillas or fried bread and you have a dawn fry to help with the hangover.   ;D

There are some people on R/F that can remember the "Year of the Fires" and the monsoonal, ice cold rains that rolled in Thursday night, AHE.  Ten of us standing under my canopy, grilling mushroom & Gouda cheese stuffed burgers & venison sausage, on a camp stove.  Nasty night but the food & company was fantastic.  ;)

That was a wonderful night...even if I did stay wet...from the rain...nearly all night.

That was a fun night...Bret trying to eat a 3/4 pound cheeseburger without taking a breath(hungry little booger, wasn't he?;D) and Brandon chasing PR's canopies...
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Hmmm...with M-I-L leaving TRF, I wonder if there will still be a cigar vendor out there.  I like a nice Macanudo, Romeo Y Julieta or Acid after some good chow and while I'm walking about faire. 

*Cigar in one hand and beer in the other*
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

PyroMaster

Faire food exceeded my budget some years ago. I do remember enjoying the ice cream cones from the pirate area back in the day though.
Do not burden yourself with the secrets of scary people.

scarletnyx

For breakfast!

I need my Apple Pie Porridge Oatmeal from the Queens Pantry - husband likes his Biscuits and gravy. We'll get those, walk across to indulgences, and do some early morning people watching.

Now, I like to think I am fully grown and an adult and all that, but I still get cranky after walking around the mini-nation of TRF. SO, around 1PM I usually start getting grouchy and Alex, my dear husband who has the patience of Buddha, will take me to the Greek Agora and get *forgot name of dish, but its soba noodles panfried with veggies in it. Comes in a cup * and a Coke/frozen drink to calm me down.

A couple hours after that, we'll usually get something salty, like sausage or the alligator. Though last year the alligator they had there was way, way too small. On our way back to camp, we'll usually get something sweet like some funnel cake or whatnot.

I'm craving it all!

Quote from: JackGonzo, MD on July 28, 2015, 08:06:18 PM
Used to LOVE the greek noodles and then they got cheap and started using spaghetti noodles. :-(

Jack, I had them last year closing weekend and they were still the thick soba/udon noodles as always. However, I have heard that sometimes they run out of those noodles and have to sub 'ghetti noodles. Maybe that happened? I would try them again - they are just as good as you remember, if not better!
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Thinking about lamb & beef gyros...and dreading the aftermath.   ;D

*Beans have nothing on lamb & beef gyros.*  :o   
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Now, I have sticks of fried Shrooms dancing through my head.... >:(
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

All kinds of new grub coming this year. 

Slammer...Cheese stuffed Jalapeno, surrounded in pork sausage, wrapped in bacon then deep fried.  *Think Mexican Scotch Egg*  ;D

Deep fried Sauerkraut... :-\

S'mores on a stick... :D

Nachos on a stick... :o ???

Chicken fried pork ribs... :-\

Fried Lobster... :o

All kinds of new stuff to try!  ;D

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/article/RenFest-2015-food-options-include-deep-fried-nacho-6173085.php
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

LadyJessica

Not too sure about the Sauerkraut myself but the rest sound interesting...
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: LadyJessica on August 05, 2015, 12:06:15 PM
Not too sure about the Sauerkraut myself but the rest sound interesting...

Three words...Deep Fried Baklava.  ;)
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

PollyPoPo

I might be one to try that fried sauerkraut.  I did a quick Google, found some recipes, and have to say that any recipe that starts with sliced onions and bacon drippings can't be all bad.   :)

I've missed TRF the past couple years and hoping to get back this year at least once.   
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

scarletnyx

Oh my word fried LOBSTER!

This does NOTHING for my horrid faire itch. Soon Alex and I will have a garb day.... I don't think I'll take it off until faire.  :D
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

JackGonzo, MD

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on July 30, 2015, 06:26:26 AM
Hmmm...with M-I-L leaving TRF, I wonder if there will still be a cigar vendor out there.  I like a nice Macanudo, Romeo Y Julieta or Acid after some good chow and while I'm walking about faire. 

*Cigar in one hand and beer in the other*

Damn, didn't even think about that. Gonna have to stock up before going into faire I guess.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.