News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Good tent for large groups

Started by Rissk13, July 28, 2015, 07:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rissk13

I've been searching for a new tent for this year with only a little luck, nothing perfect. I was wondering if anybody here had some suggestions.

Requirements:
Enough to fit 10+ people comfortably, this means a few air mattresses, cots, etc. Not just penciled in as tight as possible :)
Preferably multiple rooms with a large center room
Super rainproof (2 of my tents have flooded previously, not fun)
Under $1000, preferably around $500 or less

Not sure if we have time for custom solutions this year, but ideas are welcome! Thanks

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

What's your budget?  I mean, there are some new tents out that can be made into a freaking village..
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

LadyJessica

Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

PollyPoPo

You might also look at the Standing Room Tent (available at Amazon).  It requires a pop-up (like E-Z Up) in addition to the tent itself.  The tent actually hangs from the pop-up, so you end up with two roofs.  There are two versions of the tent; the one marked XL actually has doors on all four sides.  This allows the tents to be joined together to make several rooms, with a wide opening between each.  Each tent is 10x10.

I bought one this year and my son used it for a week at spring break and then again on July 4.  He used a small heater during spring and a portable A/C on the 4th.  Worked good.

It runs about $200 for the tent, plus the popup (mine was about $150 at Amazon). 

There are other versions of the expandable, multi-room tents out there that you might want to look at.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

LadyJessica

Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: LadyJessica on July 29, 2015, 09:13:23 AM
Looking at this myself...http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/entertainment/sporting-goods/happier-camper-hc1.asp

And BTW the doughnut one is still in concept phase.

For now.  Then there's this beauty...If I hit the 6 digits, McShug is going to get one of these...
http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=7293#.Vbjfev7JCig 

* Sorry, Thread thieving over... back on subject.*  :-X
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

LadyJessica

Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

LadyJessica

Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

Rissk13

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'll definitely take one of those inflatable pubs, and 1 of everything else :)

I've seen that 20 person tent before, and would be perfect but it's not available anymore :(

If our budget was a bit higher, I'd probably go for modular tents: https://www.podtents.com/

For real though, I've been looking at that 3 room tent and so far that's probably the best bet short of spending a ton of money or making our own custom Ren Tent.

LadyJessica

Re-reading the description for the 3 room tents...those are the one with the preattached poles...they are awesome! They really do only take about 2 - 5 minutes for set up AND I've seen them last through near F1 winds two years back, so I know they are strong.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: LadyJessica on July 30, 2015, 10:02:52 AM
Re-reading the description for the 3 room tents...those are the one with the preattached poles...they are awesome! They really do only take about 2 - 5 minutes for set up AND I've seen them last through near F1 winds two years back, so I know they are strong.

I know the food I made, two years ago, gave people gas, but I didn't think it was THAT bad.  :-\ :o

;D

Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

LadyJessica

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on July 30, 2015, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: LadyJessica on July 30, 2015, 10:02:52 AM

I know the food I made, two years ago, gave people gas, but I didn't think it was THAT bad.  :-\ :o

;D

LOL...
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

A couple of those three room tents, some tarps, a canopy or two, and a bit of creativity, you could build a compound.

Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Rani Zemirah

A couple of these would do it.  We've got one, and they are nice and roomy.  For the two of us it's like a palace, with room for two queen size air mattresses and gear (one on each end), plus a full open space (larger than another queen size air mattress) in the middle for dressing, a table and chairs and all of our garb.  It withstood the tornado that Jess was talking about with hardly any bending at all, and the only leaking was from a few drops of rain blowing up under the rainfly where I forgot to stake it down.  And it takes less than 5 minutes to set up... and has NO POLES!  It really is an amazing tent! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

KeeperoftheBar

It helps if you have your own minion to do the inflating, like Rani does.
I do love that tent of yours, Rani.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

It survived Rennado when a lot of other tents were smashed and trashed...
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Rani Zemirah

Keeper, it IS really nice to have a minion (not so little, these days... she's starting high school in just a few days... :o ), but I can even inflate it easily, myself.  When we bought it I set it up on my own, and then made Scally set it up by herself also, just to make sure we could if necessary, and after unpacking and laying it out (around 10-12 minutes including the ground sheet and stakes) the inflation, itself, takes 5 minutes or less.  It includes an excellent hand pump (so you never need to worry about having electricity for it), and each "leg" tube takes either 8 or 12 pumps, depending on whether it's a short or long tube, and there are 4 of them.  We love it, also... and don't get to use it anywhere near often enough!  It's the best tent I've ever owned, and I managed to find it for right at $224 around 3 years ago.  If I ever choose to own any other tent it will have to be a period canvas tent, because that's the only thing that would make trading this one in worth it  (and even then I'd still keep it as a backup)! 

And yes, Fraser, there were tents all around us that were destroyed the next morning... smashed, flooded, caved in, blown away... on every side... but ours was still standing perfectly straight, and didn't even pull up a single stake the whole night.  I would trust it over any other tent I've ever slept in, and there have been a few! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede