News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Favorite Renaissance Festival shows

Started by Lady Tess, August 02, 2008, 07:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean_Flamingo

Some of my favs:

Don Juan and Miguel
Sound and Fury
Queen Anne's Lace
Iris and Rose
Arsene
Ded Bob

I try to see each group whenever I can.  Doesn't matter if it's the same show each time, I still get a kick out of them not only for the shows, but also for the way they treat their audience.
Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis

Ambios

In no particular order......can you tell I love music?

Empty Hats
Bocca Musica
Owain Phyfe
Crannog
Manolette
Cantiga
Rusty Cutlass
Wyldfyre
Wine & Alchemy
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214
God Save My Sis...(oops) The Queen

NelleMoorley

I want to add a new favorite I saw at Scarby:

The German Brothers!

And not just because they're hot and German.

Hey Nunny Nunny is always a favorite, as are Iris and Rose!
Nelle Moorley

Tessa

Some of my favorites are:

Any jousting troupe!
Sound and Fury
Queen Anne's Lace
Arsene
Don Juan and Miguel
The Limeybirds

Don't forget the lane performers - they work hard too!

Malkavian

Quote from: Tessa on June 11, 2009, 12:15:56 AM
Don't forget the lane performers - they work hard too!

Absolutely! Some of my favorite performers at CRF are lane musicians and performers.

lady M

My favorite shows are

The Rogues
Ded Bod
Iris & Rose
Don Juan & Miguel
Washing Well Wenches
Arsene
My numero uno show TRF is the Fireworks.

Lady Rebecca

I think my top three are:

Don Juan and Miguel
The German Brothers
Zilch the Tory Stellar

Music-wise, I love Wolgemut

Aniroaldawen

My all-time favorites are the Jolly Rogers.  I fell in love with their music probably six or seven years ago at KCRF, and over the last few years I've become more and more of a fan.  They're extremely approachable off-stage as well as engaging the audience on-stage; I can't count the number of autographs I've gotten from them, each one with a smile every time!  They're also awesome about getting pictures taken with them, complete with wonderful "we found a wench!! :-D" posing from the guys.  They're very willing to take the time to chat with fans; Beard (Kurt Hanover) teased me when I bought my first garb (I came in mundanes to OKRF and changed into my newly-bought garb, and next time he saw me he said "You've changed!!"), and I had a thirty-minute conversation with Pete (Sean Foree) one time at KCRF about, of all things, chamber music  (I'm a violinist). I've gotten hugs from Pete and Beard as well.  I've also had a run-in with Beard at my local zoo, and I'm pretty sure he remembered me from faire. It's really cool to get to the point where the performers recognize you when they see you off-faire!

scittle

I am shocked no one has ever said "knights of iron is my favorite show". I have been watching them for years and every show they do is great! i first saw them when they were doing a musketeer show at Michigan ren fest. they were gone for a few years but they are back doing a robin hood show. wow is it great!

I have seen many of the other shows mentioned in this post, they are good too, but they don't conpare to a show that is a combination of the excitement of a stage show with the intimate nature of character interaction. not only can you see a great show, but after words you can go and talk to the characters. and on top of that it is interesting to see their interpretation of well know characters and story plots.

all of the stage shows mentioned already by others are the same every year. there may be minor changes, but to the average attendee there is no difference throughout the day or between years. it seems amazing to me that every show throughout the day is different and they change their show every year. that takes skill!

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Meh, knights of Iron are all right, but they just aren't as good as the real sword fighters.

Margaret

Quote from: scittle on August 24, 2009, 05:42:46 PM
I am shocked no one has ever said "knights of iron is my favorite show".

I agree with all you said, but KOI does not get around to as many faires as the other acts mentioned do.  Also, I think when people think "show" they think "People up on a stage singing or doing comedy".
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: Margaret on August 25, 2009, 06:05:13 AM
I agree with all you said, but KOI does not get around to as many faires as the other acts mentioned do.  Also, I think when people think "show" they think "People up on a stage singing or doing comedy".

That is a curious thing.... and judging from the posts above, both of your points are right on.

Don Juan and Miguel and the Swordsmen on many people's lists. These performers do their act on stage, and peform at many different fairs acros the country. Some are even franchised (as with Ded Bob and WW Wenches)to cover as many venues as possible, while KOI is based in MI, and (with certain past exceptions) perform only in this area.

I'm not as well faire-traveled as many on this forum, so I'm not aware of any other troupe in the country that performs in the same way as KOI performs -on the street, and has their cast walking all over the faire between shows as street characters.

If there are, maybe the fact that they don't perform on stage is the reason we're not seeing them on this list.

Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

L Dale Walter

Quote from: sealclubber on August 24, 2009, 10:16:18 PM
Meh, knights of Iron are all right, but they just aren't as good as the real sword fighters.

And who would that be?   You can't do "real" swordfighting in a show enviroment, or people die.  REAL swordfights REALLY kill people, which is why they occurred.

Our shows are about entertainment, and they have a component of stage combat that adds to the drama.  The focus is not the swordfight, it's the characters, because 99% of the people watching don't know a pris de fer from a passata sotto, and they don't care.  They want a STORY where they cheer for the good guys, and boo the bad guys.

And that is EXACTLY what we give them.

L. Dale Walter
Director
Knights of Iron

L Dale Walter

Quote from: scittle on August 24, 2009, 05:42:46 PM
I am shocked no one has ever said "knights of iron is my favorite show". I have been watching them for years and every show they do is great! i first saw them when they were doing a musketeer show at Michigan ren fest. they were gone for a few years but they are back doing a robin hood show. wow is it great!

I have seen many of the other shows mentioned in this post, they are good too, but they don't conpare to a show that is a combination of the excitement of a stage show with the intimate nature of character interaction. not only can you see a great show, but after words you can go and talk to the characters. and on top of that it is interesting to see their interpretation of well know characters and story plots.

all of the stage shows mentioned already by others are the same every year. there may be minor changes, but to the average attendee there is no difference throughout the day or between years. it seems amazing to me that every show throughout the day is different and they change their show every year. that takes skill!

Thanks!  We appreciate the kudos, and will continue to work super hard every day to make sure the audience is enjoying our Adventures of Robin Hood!

L. Dale Walter
Director
Knights of Iron

joycemarie

I completely agree with scittle, and Knights Of Iron IS/ARE my favorite show/performers.  2008 was my first year going to a Ren Fest and the one thing that stood out the most to me as most memorable was the KOI Robin Hood show.  I was able to catch the School of Villainy show this year at SLRF and I thought it was great and I am looking forward to seeing the Robin Hood show again in September at MiRF!  Their shows are very entertaining, and a lot of fun.   I also enjoy the fact of how friendly and sociable the performers are, as long as they have the time they are more than willing to stand and chat with you.  They are a great bunch of guys (and women!) and it does surprise me that they don't stand out to more people as favorites!  As for the person that said something about liking REAL sword fighter's better....I guess when they make a time machine you can travel back a few hundred years to see that.  :-)  As for me I am more than happy to see the sword fighting and performances by KOI!